Supersick_

[WIP] “L’Anubis” - 3rd Rate Ship of the Line

Here’s a love letter to one of my favorite ships of the Age: the absolutely terrific Téméraire-class 3rd rates by Jacques Noël-Sané. Without doubt this is my main inspiration for L’Anubis - god of the Underworld.

The main obstacle for building larger ships in theme-scale is obviously the age old question: to prefab hull or not? Building the lower hull to Fer Maiden that mates up w/ the prefabs taught me a few ways to do a brickbuilt hull that can at least live in the same universe as them. That gave me the confidence to try this.

I then used Fer Maiden’s dimensions to get a theme-scale equation and have my 3rd rate at 70x18 studs along her gun deck. Total width at her waterline is slightly more due to the SNOT curved slopes. 

Anyway, enough of that - I know you want the goods. This is still very much a work in progress with some gaps and test techniques so bear with me! I feel like you guys enjoy seeing a bit more of the process.

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

This project has been progressing super quickly thus far (surprisingly) but I will really need to build her in real life and the instructions are going to take a massive effort. 

Edited by Supersick_
Updated images

9 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Not a pirate ship! :pir-oh3:

Does this mean Broadside is sailing into town?

Haha, indeed. It seems the disruption to the Bluecoat merchants has lead to the admiralty sending over a display of force, lead by their brand new ship class.

I made some progress last night and updated the images in the first post.

Only visual difference is the upper gun stripe is moved up 1 plate to accommodate some torsional stiffness midship because I added her waist steps. Also added nets at the waist opening along the spar deck.

1280x720.jpg

Here's a shot of how I'm blocking out her interior so far. I haven't added any hatches yet - I will most likely concentrate on the structure a bit more. The lower gun decks are quite cramped for the crew - such is life in Broadside's Navy.

1280x720.jpg

A brick-built hull, eh? Don't mind me, I'll just take some notes hehe! :pir-grin:

Another amazing creation, Captain Supersick, or should I say - Admiral, cause that seems more fitting at this point. I find it interesting how you integrate Egyptian mythology with age of sail. Keep at it, good job! :pir-thumb:

1 hour ago, Jack Sassy said:

A brick-built hull, eh? Don't mind me, I'll just take some notes hehe! :pir-grin:

Another amazing creation, Captain Supersick, or should I say - Admiral, cause that seems more fitting at this point. I find it interesting how you integrate Egyptian mythology with age of sail. Keep at it, good job! :pir-thumb:

Hahaha, cheers dude! It’s going to be a wild to see her with the full hull, I’m not sure if I have room for her in the house yet lol.

Ah yes, the Egyptian mythology is my little nod to the Battle of the Nile - plus, all the Greek mythological names were already taken during the Age of Sail! (Haha). How cool is that Anubis headgear from Lego!? The printing on the pharaoh/mummy sets is fantastic. 

On 5/22/2021 at 2:39 PM, Supersick_ said:

Haha, indeed. It seems the disruption to the Bluecoat merchants has lead to the admiralty sending over a display of force, lead by their brand new ship class.

Who is disrupting the Blue coat merchants? Was it the Fer Maiden or Barracuda Brig? OR BOTH!  :pir-oh3:

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Who is disrupting the Blue coat merchants? Was it the Fer Maiden or Barracuda Brig? OR BOTH!  :pir-oh3:

Both be causing headaches sure as day, with the Barracuda recently disrupting a stores resupply to an Imperial Outpost. But the survivors’ tales of a lightning fast frigate of unknown origin - described as wearing her lines suspiciously similar to the most recent Société de la Marine Impériale blueprints - is something that has sent rumbles up the Admiralty. 

Diverting a line ship for anti-piracy duties is one thing. Locating and intercepting “le fantôme rapide” that be at the heart of this, however, is another challenge altogether. 

19 hours ago, nimitstexan said:

WOW!!!

This hopefully ticks the boxes for playability as well as build style for you/your kids’ fleet! I know we spoke about Fer Maiden’s gun deck height (4 bricks) but L’Anubis is a slightly less comfortable work environment for the average seaman in a gun crew. Such is the life of a line ship though. 

4 hours ago, VaneStream said:

Wow, this ship is incredible! The bow, the stern, the rounding of the hull, all perfectly executed!

Thank you Vane! I appreciate that a lot. Let’s hope she retains it as I start building out the finer details of the hull construction. 

3 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

Both be causing headaches sure as day, with the Barracuda recently disrupting a stores resupply to an Imperial Outpost.

Any chance of seeing some images depicting a battle between the vessels in question? :pir-love:

4 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

This hopefully ticks the boxes for playability as well as build style for you/your kids’ fleet! I know we spoke about Fer Maiden’s gun deck height (4 bricks) but L’Anubis is a slightly less comfortable work environment for the average seaman in a gun crew. Such is the life of a line ship though. 

Indeed!  Also start one thinking about the possibilities of modding (razeeing?) this into and Indefatigable or even Constitution-style true heavy frigate.

Need something that can keep up with those darn Pirate frigates . . . :classic:

On 5/23/2021 at 8:58 PM, Mister Phes said:

Any chance of seeing some images depicting a battle between the vessels in question? :pir-love:

Haha, yeah eventually! I have some stuff mocked up in Stud.io so I'm starting to think about some.

On 5/23/2021 at 10:08 PM, nimitstexan said:

Indeed!  Also start one thinking about the possibilities of modding (razeeing?) this into and Indefatigable or even Constitution-style true heavy frigate.

Need something that can keep up with those darn Pirate frigates . . . :classic:

Haha indeed. Yeah, Indefatigable was razeed from a 64 so I could start with a shortened version of this ship to make something like her! Or definitely apply this style of hull to a large frigate design ala Constitution.

5 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

@Supersick_, will you be sharing building instructions on ReBrickable when she's ready to set sail?

Yarrr. I put in some good hours this week and made some progress. Bow, stern and middle hull structures are pretty much sorted. Decks and hatches are coming along nicely (fingers crossed). I've been pretty careful to make sure the outer structure will be strong enough when they're removed. As you can see I'm keeping a cross-brace at fore and main masts to provide some lateral strength once I tie it into the outers.

Interior gun decks with larboard battery. Haven't sorted out the officer's quarters yet.

1280x720.jpg

Lower deck. Space is super tight. I have the stairs as mobile subassemblies so you can get to the grating on the hatches.1280x720.jpg

Some exterior refinement from the stern quarter.

1280x720.jpg

Bow and beakhead detail coming in.

1280x720.jpg

Quarter gallery detail refinement.

1280x720.jpg

Size comparison to Fer Maiden:

1280x720.jpg

Siblings.

1280x720.jpg

Lucky for Fer Maiden that she could outrun and out-maneuver the 74, I would certainly not want to be caught at this range trading broadsides.

Really a very nice ship! Great photos of the construction.

:pir-love:

On 5/27/2021 at 7:34 PM, Supersick_ said:

Yarrr. I put in some good hours this week and made some progress. Bow, stern and middle hull structures are pretty much sorted. Decks and hatches are coming along nicely (fingers crossed). I've been pretty careful to make sure the outer structure will be strong enough when they're removed. As you can see I'm keeping a cross-brace at fore and main masts to provide some lateral strength once I tie it into the outers.

Interior gun decks with larboard battery. Haven't sorted out the officer's quarters yet.

1280x720.jpg

Lower deck. Space is super tight. I have the stairs as mobile subassemblies so you can get to the grating on the hatches.1280x720.jpg

Some exterior refinement from the stern quarter.

1280x720.jpg

Bow and beakhead detail coming in.

1280x720.jpg

Quarter gallery detail refinement.

1280x720.jpg

Size comparison to Fer Maiden:

1280x720.jpg

Siblings.

1280x720.jpg

Lucky for Fer Maiden that she could outrun and out-maneuver the 74, I would certainly not want to be caught at this range trading broadsides.

Why Governor Broadside needs to request a 24lb heavy frigate . . . :classic:

More seriously, what are the rough dimensions so far?

ANd again another one :pir-oh: How much time do you spend each week on this ships? I even cant take fotos of my creations due to lack of time... Would be awesome to see her in real bricks one day as well! Keep on and we keep on following the progress!

On 5/31/2021 at 10:05 AM, nimitstexan said:

Why Governor Broadside needs to request a 24lb heavy frigate . . . :classic:

More seriously, what are the rough dimensions so far?

Haha!!! I do like the idea of a heavy. I'm not sure about the Bluecoats though, something to get the Redcoats in the mix I think... a certain Fer Maiden carries on it a chest with letters of marque and reprisal from an influential Redcoat governor. 

Dimensions are: 37.8" long, 21.7" tall. Currently ~3800 parts and growing.

On 5/31/2021 at 12:13 PM, Stoertebricker said:

ANd again another one :pir-oh: How much time do you spend each week on this ships? I even cant take fotos of my creations due to lack of time... Would be awesome to see her in real bricks one day as well! Keep on and we keep on following the progress!

Haha, cheers man! I find waves of time to spend and try to maximize. Sometimes I go for 3-4 days without being able to open Stud.io (work has been super busy lately) so I try and catalog what changes I want or spend time researching further for refining. Once I get back into Stud.io I then have a list of things to work on. But yes, for real, I spend way too much time haha.

Lately it's been refining the layout of the decks, (especially removable sections) and making the quarter galleries stable. They are offset 1/2 stud to give the desired fitment and design which was a nice challenge to solve. I made some decisions based solely on exterior design (the hardest part about theme scale ships, imho) and let that drive the building solutions. In the end I did some (new to me) techniques and ideas that I am pretty happy with. 

Cross section showing layout of upper and lower decks, specifically aft at officer's quarters and captain's cabin. Note: the partition walls for officer's quarters are removeable for increased great cabin space. They will get a dining table and some desks.

1280x720.jpg

Bird's eye view of the lower gun deck. Both the upper gun deck and weather decks have been removed.

1280x720.jpg

Exploded views showing the decks. Lower deck should have space for some more stores, I plan to have a pen for some pigs, goats and chickens aft of the mainmast, forward of the stairs on the lower deck.

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

Playing around with "ornate" area rugs. Because headroom is so limited at this scale I have to make some concessions for deck thickness which limits me to traditional techniques, as anything SNOT would be way too thick.

1280x720.jpg

The captain's rug is tan and dark blue, which is rendering very close to black in Stud.io. Hopefully the blue is more saturated in real life and reads better. I still may alter the design to help it stand off from the black and white checker tile a bit more.

1280x720.jpg

Redid the quarterdeck stairs to the poop. The previous design was preferred but at this scale there were just too many constraints causing bigger issues so I reverted to a more traditional twin staircase setup.

1280x720.jpg

Bow and beakhead evolution. Happy with the progress here but need to figure out my hawse holes if I plan to keep using 100% legal parts and techniques. Unfortunately the stud on Lego strings will not pass through a Technic pin hole (obviously) so I still have some work to do on how to fudge that detail.

1280x720.jpg

Closing gaps and making structures at the transom and aft castle. Productive and satisfying, if a bit unremarkable in terms of visual evolution.

1280x720.jpg

I quite like the first gunport on the lower deck slightly creeping around the forward curvature of the hull to help sell the illusion of more curvature than bricks really allow. 

1280x720.jpg

Getting closer and closer to a m-a-s-s-i-v-e bricklink order (lower hull is gonna bring this thing easily near 5000 pieces) Star Wars UCS kits level haha.

1280x720.jpg

On 5/27/2021 at 9:47 PM, NOD said:

Really a very nice ship! Great photos of the construction.

:pir-love:

Thanks Nod!

Update is: work has been super busy lately and I’ve had to travel a bit. Just haven’t carved out the time for the final push to finish her off, but I also wanted to test something so I was waiting for a shipment. I should have her completed within the next week or two. 

Basically: the design I have for the beakhead uses some REALLY rare rigid tube lengths. In talking with some people about Fer Maiden’s tan slopes now becoming very rare (thus expensive), I considered some alternative designs but I guess once you like something enough you can’t get it out of your head. I ended up finding a near-identical (if not exact) supply of tubing that is still produced (Lego production has ceased from what I can gather, in many of the desired lengths). I am just confirming that this is a good enough solution, and I plan to offer pre-cut and sorted “kits” of the beakhead tubes for my ships (an update to Fer Maiden’s as well). 

This is not technically official parts (obviously) but I think this would be an understandable exception.

The supplier I found is what many top convention-level architectural MOC builds use. There has been talk that this may even have been a supplier to TLG for pneumatic tubing. For background: the material (type of plastic) needed for pneumatics is different/specific compared to the injection-molded brick material. Different materials require different tools and flow optimization in the factory, often different storage of the raw material, and unlikely you are able to “share” anything between the various materials (for instance vats/vessels for heating, pouring, cooling, etc). Tubing is also produced in extrusions which is quite a different process from molded parts.  

This is why it would not surprise me if Lego used a supplier for tubing required in the relatively few pneumatic Technic kits. 

I personally wouldn’t do any custom lengths or colors, I would keep everything as-is with Lego’s catalog, just offer it for something like $10+shipping vs $1MM+ or whatever it would be if you could even find them on BrickLink.  

Any opinions/suggestions on that?

Edited by Supersick_
Spelling errors

20 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

I personally wouldn’t do any custom lengths or colors, I would keep everything as-is with Lego’s catalog, just offer it for something like $10+shipping vs $1MM+ or whatever it would be if you could even find them on BrickLink.  

Any opinions/suggestions on that?

Sounds like a plan to me!