This is an alternate build of the Lego Set 42100, Liebherr 9800. Parts list used in the MOC is listed so you can opt to just buy the required parts instead of buying set 42100.
Motorized features include:

• Tank drive for both tracks
  • Arms upward/downward movements
  • Head turn
  • Head tilt
  • Body tilt

Manual play features include:

• Upper and lower eye flaps can be moved to show facial expressions.
  • Finger movements.
  • Limited manual arm movements

Here's a link to the YouTube video to showcase its movements: RJ's Johnny 5 YouTube Video

If anybody is interested, building instructions are available at Rebrickable.

Johnny 5h.jpg

Edited by RJ BrickBuilds

Definitely a nice build.  I saw it on Rebrickable a while ago, it seems pretty popular.

One thing I have not been able to figure out since the first time I saw it.  How are you driving the two small LAs holding up the head?  The only thing I can think of is a 20T bevel gear that's just pressed up against the angled 12T gears on the LAs but that doesn't seem like it would keep good enough contact when you start moving them.

On 5/23/2021 at 1:23 PM, mdemerchant said:

Definitely a nice build.  I saw it on Rebrickable a while ago, it seems pretty popular.

One thing I have not been able to figure out since the first time I saw it.  How are you driving the two small LAs holding up the head?  The only thing I can think of is a 20T bevel gear that's just pressed up against the angled 12T gears on the LAs but that doesn't seem like it would keep good enough contact when you start moving them.

They are two 12 tooth double bevel gears pressed against each other. No issues with contact this way. ;)

4 hours ago, RJ BrickBuilds said:

They are two 12 tooth double bevel gears pressed against each other. No issues with contact this way. ;)

Thanks.  So it is kind of like I imagined but it works much better than I imagined.  I guess the angle of the actuator doesn't really change all that much when you extend it.

I should rebuild my 42100 into this sometime, my kids would love it.

Hi, I'm looking for this on rebrickable and can't find it. I can't see it under 42100 'alt builds'. What obviousness have I missed? Thanks!

22 hours ago, J159753 said:

Hi, I'm looking for this on rebrickable and can't find it. I can't see it under 42100 'alt builds'. What obviousness have I missed? Thanks!

Just seen a comment on FB that RJ had to deactivate it, as he's having a Lego Ideas Johnny 5 entry, and can't sell MOCs related to it..

Arghh! I understand the motivations, but how frustrating! Why didn't I buy it when I first saw it, rather than saying 'I'll get round to buying it'. Curses! And allowing for public voting and then TLG deliberations on Ideas, presumably that means that it could be 2 years before it's back up on rebrickable - if at all?

Well, best of luck to RJ on Lego Ideas, but nonetheless how very, very frustrating! Has this happened before with other popular rebrickable models?

39 minutes ago, J159753 said:

Has this happened before with other popular rebrickable models?

Yes, I can remember multiple instances where somebody was searching for a Moc which had become disabled. Reasons for this can be very diverse, because the designer can disable his Mocs anytime.