ks6349

Could Lego "partially" melt if not used for a very long time?

On 8/12/2022 at 2:15 AM, koalayummies said:

This is why you should always apply moisturizer to your bricks. Sure it makes separating pieces nearly impossible because of how slippery they become, but dang they're so silky and smooth afterwards.

applying moisturizer ? The first time ever I've heard of this.

8 hours ago, ks6349 said:

applying moisturizer ? The first time ever I've heard of this.

He's kidding. Nobody does that... I don't think it's good for the bricks.

Before you apply anything to your ABS, check that it doesn't contain any chemicals that could have an adverse affect on the ABS.

https://kelco.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/abs-chemical-compatibility-guide.pdf

I apply silicone lube to my LEGO GBC module mechanisms to kept them running smoothly and from turning out ABS dust.

By the way, how do you all clean used Lego from secondhand market? I mostly soak them in a bowl of water and then let them air dry under sunlight. Is there any better practice?

10 hours ago, ks6349 said:

I mostly soak them in a bowl of water

There is: At least put some detergent into the water. Any kind of grease removing stuff like dish liquid will do. The water takes care of things that like to dissolve in water (dried mucus for example :pir-laugh:) but the grease needs more than that.

When you want to get to "hospital clean", add some oxidizing agent to the water ... >some< bleach is OK. You can even add bleach as well as dish liquid - they won't do any harm to ABS.

Best,
Thorsten 

12 hours ago, Toastie said:

There is: At least put some detergent into the water. Any kind of grease removing stuff like dish liquid will do. The water takes care of things that like to dissolve in water (dried mucus for example :pir-laugh:) but the grease needs more than that.

When you want to get to "hospital clean", add some oxidizing agent to the water ... >some< bleach is OK. You can even add bleach as well as dish liquid - they won't do any harm to ABS.

Best,
Thorsten 

I don't need it to be "hospital clean". Is a few drops of kitchen detergent good enough? or bathroom soap better?

Edited by ks6349

I have found just a little bit of a quality dish detergent to be fine. I usually fill the sink with hot soapy water, then put your dirty LEGO in a colander and submerge that in the water. That way you can easily agitate the parts and remove them from the soapy water and makes it easier to rinse the soap off, with out worrying about washing small bits down the drain.

I dont know, I had 30 years old lego sitting in cardboard box for very long time and these bricks are brand new with all clutch power.

Not using bricks, cannot melt lego beams!

On 10/31/2022 at 12:32 AM, Ondra said:

I dont know, I had 30 years old lego sitting in cardboard box for very long time and these bricks are brand new with all clutch power.

Not using bricks, cannot melt lego beams!

I had my first Lego set 6349 sitting in a glass cupboard for 30 years and it was all covered with dust and dirt after 15 years.

Edited by ks6349

On 8/11/2022 at 1:15 PM, LegendaryArticuno said:

The opposite of melting happens with Lego, instead they dry out and become very brittle, eventually crumbling after enough decades.

Thats why Fischertechnik is so much better, Nylon and Polyamide lasts forever.

13 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Thats why Fischertechnik is so much better, Nylon and Polyamide lasts forever.

I think fishnet nylons might be better. 

9 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I think fishnet nylons might be better. 

WHAWHAWHAWHAW

But serious
Not only the materials of Fischer are better, they soon will be the only contruction toy with robotics electronics sets

I have my set 60197 unopened for 4 years since it's released. Could there be any problem to the remote controller?

1 hour ago, ks6349 said:

I have my set 60197 unopened for 4 years since it's released. Could there be any problem to the remote controller?

O yes, It feels very lonely so take it out and give tender care....

,,,and some batteries, not durahell

1 hour ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

O yes, It feels very lonely so take it out and give tender care....

,,,and some batteries, not durahell

What is the possible "tender care" to give to the controller?

My toy room is so messy now so I have to sort and tidy things up so it's not the right time now.

3 hours ago, ks6349 said:

Yes, if you store it underwater or have rats. No if you keep it in a good environment. They don't have batteries in them when manufactured so long term storage of unused ones, like any electrical equipment, is not likely to cause an issue. Used ones with batteries left in them are much more likely to be damaged by leaks if stored for long times.

If anything looks dirty on the electronic components, isopropyl alcohol is great for cleaning up those. It evaporates away so will not do liquid damage.

Dish soap is perfect for bricks, much better than hand soap. Old camera lens cleaning rubber bulbs are great for dusting. Not as much power as canned air, so it will blow away dust without knocking over parts.

2 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

If anything looks dirty on the electronic components, isopropyl alcohol is great for cleaning up those. It evaporates away so will not do liquid damage.

Dish soap is perfect for bricks, much better than hand soap. Old camera lens cleaning rubber bulbs are great for dusting. Not as much power as canned air, so it will blow away dust without knocking over parts.

I have a handful of 75% Isopropyl Alcohol bought for $3 in pharm store would that be fine?

Edited by ks6349

I use 99% to clean PCBs for soldering. 

Don't store your electronics with batteries inside if they are not going to be used for a long time.  It's good idea to have sellers show you the battery compartment when buying used battery powered LEGO.

scout.jpg

Sealed sets don't have batteries in the remotes, so it is not going to be an issue. Rust is the only likely issue but the set would have had to be in a very humid environment to do damage to contacts in a sealed remote control.

4 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I use 99% to clean PCBs for soldering. 

Don't store your electronics with batteries inside if they are not going to be used for a long time.  It's good idea to have sellers show you the battery compartment when buying used battery powered LEGO.

scout.jpg

Does the remote controller for the Lego train contain any batteries inside?

5 hours ago, ks6349 said:

Does the remote controller for the Lego train contain any batteries inside?

They do not when brand new.  "Batteries Not Included" is on the packaging.  Buying used LEGO can be different.