Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - General Discussion

14 hours ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

So Bers is simultaneously this sort of innocent puppy and this horrible murdering deathbot.

I just thought that'd be an interesting concept to play out when I was creating the character. As for his backstory, I figured his creator(s) made him orginally to eradicate their enemies, a warmachine built to fight in some conflict basically. But then one of the creators or a third party decide to free and awaken Bers. "The scientist Periklis Prometheoi discovered a method by which one could use Ætherspace’s ‘livecode’ to give an artificial being sentience - a true soul." interpreting this bit of lore, since a machine isn't so much born with a soul as it is given one, I figured it is definitely a possibility for this to happen in-universe.

Oh yeah, I think my spelling of words is usually okay and I check a lot, I just won't be abe to structure sentences as well as a native-english speaker I think.

The concept kind of makes me think of the movie 'Chappie', where a police robot is reprogrammed and he becomes 'dumb'/childlike and has to learn everything anew again. Sadly, his new owners are ghetto gangsters, so he is raised as a gansta robot.

I'm not a native speaker either, so I'm not the best judge here spelling-wise, but I certainly don't think your English is bad. I always like reading the stories accompanying your Great Brick War MOCs, so I'm sure you'll do well here, too.

7 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Soren Deception Check (DC 3): 6, 4, 6 (3 Success, 0 Failures)

The attendant begins to grow nervous at Soren's bluff.
51264236215_30789565d2_t.jpg
"I am so s... s... sorry sir. I will certainly have a word with my manager about the incident. You s... s... said three tickets, correct?"

@Waterbrick Down: How is this possible? I was under the impression that the only checks that are allowed are ones for which players' have proficiencies. 

48 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

@Waterbrick Down: How is this possible? I was under the impression that the only checks that are allowed are ones for which players' have proficiencies. 

If that was the case it would be impossible for a player to tell a lie unless they had proficiency in deception, or incapable of finding things without perception, and other such nonsensical outcomes. The system is designed so that MMs can have players of basically any proficiencies on a quest without rendering the party totally incapable of progressing though the quest or doing things that rely on skills they don't specialize in. To put it simply, anything with a DC between 1 and 3 represents varying levels of difficulty of things that can be accomplished without specialized training. Anything higher than that and specialization is required to succeed, as the +3 dice no longer cut it. It's possible to set DC's higher than 3 and still need players to beat them to progress, but at this stage the would be impractical as we simply don't have enough players (and certainly not enough sufficiently proficient ones) to expect that someone with the sufficient score in X proficiency will sign up for any quest (and enough players pooling their dice could circumvent this requirement much of the time anyway, unless something has a really high proficiency).

I should point out that most skill based RPG's operate on this assumption of 'you can try, but unless you're trained in it you won't be very good'.

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

1 minute ago, Duvors said:

If that was the case it would be impossible for a player to tell a lie unless they had proficiency in deception, or incapable of finding things without perception, and other such nonsensical outcomes. The system is designed so that MMs can have players of basically any proficiencies on a quest without rendering the party totally incapable of progressing though the quest or doing things that rely on skills they don't specialize in. To put it simply, anything with a DC between 1 and 3 represents varying levels of difficulty of things that can be accomplished without specialized training. Anything higher than that and specialization is required to succeed, as the +3 dice no longer cut it. It's possible to set DC's higher than 3 and still need players to beat them to progress, but at this stage the would be impractical as we simply don't have enough players (and certainly not enough sufficiently proficient ones) to expect that someone with the sufficient score in X proficiency will sign up for any quest (and enough players pooling their dice could circumvent this requirement much of the time anyway, unless something has a really high proficiency).

This exactly. Having proficiencies increases the likelihood of success but doesn't necessarily eliminate it if you don't have it. The idea behind the statistics is that for someone with no Proficiency:
DC 1 = 87.5%
DC 2 = 50%
DC 3 = 12.5%
DC 4 = 0%

A simple task should be almost always successful, but a skilled task should be unlikely.

It's also worth nothing that Attribute checks don't work like this, as they don't get the +3. To succeed at one you need to have an attribute score equal to the DC at least, otherwise it's literally impossible. I think the fact that Attributes cost less to upgrade is related to this.

9 hours ago, Khorne said:

The concept kind of makes me think of the movie 'Chappie', where a police robot is reprogrammed and he becomes 'dumb'/childlike and has to learn everything anew again. Sadly, his new owners are ghetto gangsters, so he is raised as a gansta robot.

I'm not a native speaker either, so I'm not the best judge here spelling-wise, but I certainly don't think your English is bad. I always like reading the stories accompanying your Great Brick War MOCs, so I'm sure you'll do well here, too.

I definitely did not consiously consider Chappie but now that you mention it I do see the similarities yes.  Also thank you :laugh:

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

First combat in the new system, LET'S GOOOOOO!!!

First off stop using that picture. :devil:

The battle grid looks mess up to me. And I am using my phone right now, so it might be OK on a regular computer. Just something I thought should be pointed out. 

2 hours ago, Kintobor said:

First combat in the new system, LET'S GOOOOOO!!!

Nice to see all our missions are around the same point in pacing.:laugh:

On 6/28/2021 at 9:38 PM, Duvors said:

I should point out that most skill based RPG's operate on this assumption of 'you can try, but unless you're trained in it you won't be very good'.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:46 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

This exactly. Having proficiencies increases the likelihood of success but doesn't necessarily eliminate it if you don't have it. The idea behind the statistics is that for someone with no Proficiency:
DC 1 = 87.5%
DC 2 = 50%
DC 3 = 12.5%
DC 4 = 0%

A simple task should be almost always successful, but a skilled task should be unlikely.

Ah, OK. That makes sense. 👍

23 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

First off stop using that picture. :devil:

The battle grid looks mess up to me. And I am using my phone right now, so it might be OK on a regular computer. Just something I thought should be pointed out. 

To address your first point: no. :laugh:

To address your second point: it likely is an issue on mobile. I'm currently trying to preserve what space I have on my Flickr account, and as much as I would love to provide what WBD is for his mission (which looks fantastic, I have to say :wub:) it's not something I want to try doing just yet. I want to see if just using images together on a grid works. So far it's fine, but we'll see where it goes.

Also, gotta say, running combat's pretty simple. Took me a little under 15 minutes to roll everything up. Once you understand how everything works, having less number crunch is going to make attacks that do 5 or 6 damage hurt, and that is something I'm looking forward to. :sweet:

33 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

To address your first point: no. :laugh:

To address your second point: it likely is an issue on mobile. I'm currently trying to preserve what space I have on my Flickr account, and as much as I would love to provide what WBD is for his mission (which looks fantastic, I have to say :wub:) it's not something I want to try doing just yet. I want to see if just using images together on a grid works. So far it's fine, but we'll see where it goes.

Also, gotta say, running combat's pretty simple. Took me a little under 15 minutes to roll everything up. Once you understand how everything works, having less number crunch is going to make attacks that do 5 or 6 damage hurt, and that is something I'm looking forward to. :sweet:

*cough*Use Brickshelf.*cough*

Yay less math!

12 minutes ago, KotZ said:

*cough*Use Brickshelf.*cough*

If you don't already have an account that might be a problem, since they are not taking new accounts. 

1 minute ago, samurai-turtle said:

If you don't already have an account that might be a problem, since they are not taking new accounts. 

Uh oh. Site might be on it's last legs then.

@KotZ, your character is wielding a Long Range Weapon, whose optimal range is three squares away. At this stage I'd suggest moving to B3 and attacking Drone A, as that's the only way to get an enemy in optimal range available to you.

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

MM Note: I'll have a lengthier update tomorrow. Today wound up getting a little busy.

No problem, I've got family over this weekend for the holiday so I'm fairly swamped as well.

I've got to say @Kintobor I'm really liking the subtle world building you're doing with Varuth. :thumbup: @Classic_Spaceman I don't think Zaria was confused about Yelana's motive in getting the drink delivered, it was more that Yelana made helping the attendant (a job that is revered in Zaria's religion) conditional upon delivering the drink.

10 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

I've got to say @Kintobor I'm really liking the subtle world building you're doing with Varuth. :thumbup: @Classic_Spaceman I don't think Zaria was confused about Yelana's motive in getting the drink delivered, it was more that Yelana made helping the attendant (a job that is revered in Zaria's religion) conditional upon delivering the drink.

Pretty much this, exactly. I imagine a god known as the Hotelier has quite a bit to say about respecting and being polite towards attendants and servers.

39 minutes ago, Duvors said:

@samurai-turtle @KotZ @Khorne Pardon me, but would you like some unsolicited tactical advice?

Not to be mean but No. At this point I am thinking Polaris is going to die. I kinda want to see what happens, game wise and maybe try some other dumb stuff. I am sure I probably will have a few other questions later. 

@Waterbrick Down you wanted us to try something else how is that. I guess my only other suggestions to @Khorne and 

On 6/30/2021 at 11:17 PM, KotZ said:

Not sure why I could not tag you properly KotZ. 

Is to shoot up the crystals on the ground. :def_shrug: 

Edited by samurai-turtle
Add a comment