Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - General Discussion

This is really disappointing (though understandable); I had stepped away from the game for a while because I was having some major issues with Depression, but I had hoped to rejoin once I was feeling better (which I am now, BTW). 
I appreciate the advice that I received in improving as a player, and I hope to be able to make use of it at some point in the future. 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

This is really disappointing (though understandable); I had stepped away from the game for a while because I was having some major issues with Depression, but I had hoped to rejoin once I was feeling better (which I am now, BTW). 
I appreciate the advice that I received in improving as a player, and I hope to be able to make use of it at some point in the future. 

You made a lot of strides as a player. The original Heroica was my introduction to RPG and it really helped me feel comfortable playing them in person outside of the internet. I haven't looked back since and I have the system and this community to thank for that. I'm confident you will do well. :classic:

Sad to see this happen, but not totally unexpected. And I say this as someone who didn't contribute as much as I should have. I wish it could have continued but understand why it happened. It was fun to play with everyone again and see new characters people came up with.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:43 AM, Viper Knight said:

Hello again, I'm interested in reading about the Amourai - have they been in any quests?

Missions 1 and 10 featured Amourai NPC's, but no major story arcs about them.

Satisfying, seeing the roleplay. I also like the perception that's not a character, very easy going. Next roleplay I'm going to not opt out, and stay. I see I could start something new like Barbarian instead of the next "Commando". 

23 minutes ago, Viper Knight said:

Satisfying, seeing the roleplay. I also like the perception that's not a character, very easy going. Next roleplay I'm going to not opt out, and stay. I see I could start something new like Barbarian instead of the next "Commando". 

The GAtS system does not have classes, but you could use a combination of Proficiencies and RP to make a Barbarian character. 

1 hour ago, Viper Knight said:

That was almost confusing, since I've read somewhere for Heroica GATS that there was a Barbarian option.

That was Heroica 1.0/Heroica Fantasy (the original game). 

Hell, give me some time and I'll share ALL the secrets. :grin:

I want to apologize for my disappearance. Real life got in the way and I wasn't in a good place mentally. I still feel guilty about leaving you guys high and dry, so I hope there's no hard feelings. Needless to say, it wasn't because I wasn't enjoying anyone's company, stuff just managed to get in the way of me enjoying the game.

THE KINTO FILES: #1

I guess I'll share the first secret: I came to the realization that Laserie Ablis, Heroica's Founder, reminded me of another hotel owning, wealthy aristocrat.

tumblr_pgj8hyiSDP1usvf81o10_500.gifv

The comparisons to Laserie and Charlie were not intentional, but pretty damn spot on, so we kind of ran with it. There's some bits of fluff and lore that seem to have gotten lost after a computer went up in smoke, but the big distinction between Laserie and Charlie is that one is dead and the other is... I guess alive? As alive as a demon can theoretically be.

BUT, that was not the case. Laserie's illness had taken a toll on her BUT she was not actually dead. She faked her death and was actually interred in the basement of the Hall. There was no computer accepting or denying Heroica's mission: Laserie was the individual making sure the hall ran smoothly and that missions being accepted were of the clientele she wanted to attract: the people who couldn't afford to hire the larger scale mercenary companies whom she was competing against. She was rooting for the little guys even from her stasis chamber at the heart of the building. A character I was hoping to introduce who went by the Game Master was intended to be the Alastor to Laserie's Charlie, constantly pushing how far the heroes and the organization would go and keep Laserie's vision. The Game Master was, in a lot of ways, inspired by Q (Star Trek) and Discord (My Little Pony), but his main desire was to be entertained. He DESPISED the current state of the world and yearned for theatrics and heroics. Laserie inadvertently caught his eye with an advertisement for the Hall at the end of a movie he was watching, and the heroes would become his newest obsession. He would be your number one fan, but he'd throw you through the ringer and actively put people in danger just to watch the heroes show up and clean house.

His introductory quest would've seen him open a portal to the land of the spirits and the hall would've been flooded with ghosts, including a fight with the Spirit of the Hotel: a spectral amalgamation of jazz musicians, dancers, and concierges. You'd LITERALLY fight what the hotel was remembered for and kill it before the Game Master would leave, christening the place with new signage. The fact we never got to fight the spirit of the hotel will always be a disappointment to me, because I thought it was so clever.

Also, since it'll never get used elsewhere, I had a bit of the Game Master's dialogue written up to get into his head space. This is in regards to anyone asking him why he let ghosts into the hotel.

---
51675700154_372b52b301_o.jpg
“Sheer, suffocating boredom!

I’ll admit, things were interesting in this neck of the woods a number of years ago, what with that war going on, but now? It’s all back room deals, business mergers, and realpolitik. Bor-ing! Occasionally someone gets murdered, assassinated, exterminated, but not nearly as frequently as I would personally enjoy. There’s no one to root for, no base emotion, no passion. Just corporate suits plastered with logos and regurgitating platitudes.
 And then Laserie came onto the scene, may her little heart rest in peace. Her organization, Heroica, provides the absolute heights of entertainment! Daring adventures, dramatic characters, suspense and violence- oooh, the violence! Watching you lot eviscerate your way through problems is intoxicating. Every twist of the blade, every pull of the trigger, every evocation of a spell, every moment in combat dripping with palpable suspense! I haven’t been this enthralled in ages, centuries even!”

After his bout of excitement, the Game Master calms himself, neatly preening his hair back into a presentable form. He clutches the tip of his gem-topped staff with both hands, tapping the floor before grinning at the party. 

“I am very, very impressed with you heroes. One might even say... I’m quite the fan.”

More stuff that I found to help get into his character.

---

The theatre lights brighten as a lone figure slouches further into their seat, seemingly bored and apathetic to the film they were watching as the credits roll and the booming score swells to signify the ending of the movie. 

A concession worker strolls into the theatre with a broom in hand, ready to clean the potential popcorn littered on the floor when they notice the figure.

“Excuse me, are you alright?”

The slouched figure straightens up in their seat, brushing popcorn off their tweed jacket. They stand up, adjusting their suit, a sour expression on their face.

“No, absolutely not. I feel dreadful. Absolutely despondent. I came to the picture show in the hopes it would cheer me up and all I got was another action blockbuster: caped heroes beating up yet another world ending, computer generated nightmare monster from beyond the stars. Ugh, been there, done that. I imagine next they’ll show the news reel, and I have no interest in modern day realpolitik. I’ve grown an appetite for fillets-minion and brandy, so if you may, excuse me.”

The patron adjusted his cape as he began to make his way out of the theatre, the films credits wrapping up. 

“I’m terribly sorry you did not enjoy the show, sir.” The concession worker responds, bowing out of courtesy. The patron scoffs, scowling.

“Oh, please, enough grovelling. It’s my own damn fault for being foolish enough to expect anything out of this second rate, derivative drivel they keep putting on these screens.” The patron moves past the concession worker, wanting to be nowhere near the presence of the movie, it’s music, or even the light coming out of the projector any longer.

The patron’s mind filtered to the Great War: now there was action, drama, and heroism! Nothing like nowadays. No one ever killed anyone in the heat of battle. No great confessions of love were made in moments of desperation. All these backroom assassinations, double dealings, and profit motives: nothing greater to kill the mood than corporate conglomerates doing anything, everything to increase their profits and see the little arrow line climb up. He stuck his hands in his coat pockets, despondent on the current situation as he fished for a pack of cigarettes and lighter. Grumbling to himself, the patron made his way down the aisle slowly, stewing on his thoughts. Preparing to turn his back to the screen and exit out through the theatre doors and into the lobby, the patron turned their head in interest when the expected news reel didn’t follow up the credits, but an advertisement.

“This is a galaxy in need of bravery, empathy, and action. A galaxy in need of heroes.” A white haired woman spoke to the camera, images of recent disasters and crises around the galaxy being presented behind her. Her expression was one of concern, but the patron could see into and beyond her compassionate eyes and see yearning, melancholy, ambition. “My name is Laserie Ablis, and I’m here to ask if you are ready to answer the call. Heroica’s doors are ready to invite you to help the galaxy, to be a hero.”

The patron was stunned. The advertisement continued to play as his gaze was transfixed, reentering the theatre, his eyes glued to the screen. Making his way to the centre of the room, he stood on top of a pair of chairs, wanting the best view of the advertisement he was unable to take his vision away from.

It did not take long for the concession worker to realize what was happening, mildly annoyed at this recent display of disregard. He wasn’t paid enough to deal with this.

“Excuse me, sir? I’m going to ask you step down and off of the chairs. Sir?” The concession worker moved closer to the patron in order to get his attention. Turning to face them, they looked up and saw him with tears rolling down his checks, awestruck in the moment.

“Sir? Are you alright?” The concession worker asked. The patron, pulled out of his trance, looked down at the employee, his emotion swelling from one of awestruck emotional overload to a joyfully wide, brimming grin

“Why, my boy, I have never felt better.”

I've been away to long.   Anyone still remember me?   I need to talk about how to get in.

Yeah, that's about right. :laugh:

Good to see you, Asphalt, nevertheless. 

12 hours ago, Asphalt said:

I've been away to long.   Anyone still remember me?   I need to talk about how to get in.

Hi Asphalt, glad to see you're still around. Just sent you a PM.

Hey, Asphalt! Good to see you check in!