Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - General Discussion

11 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I am OK - I got power back within a few days, and Internet after that. I have just been rather busy over the past week, as well as having some issues with Anxiety! 😬
I would be ready to continue with the quest now, but another storm (with expected outages) is coming over the weekend, so I am not quite sure what to do character-wise. I do not want to hold things up, but having Yelana be effectively absent from the mission (though technically present) does not fit her character. 😕

Normally what happens when a player can't post is that their character is assumed to be present, but not doing anything of note. In battle their actions are chosen either by the party leader or another player they delegate beforehand.

14 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Well right now it does seem to slowing down with the "mission" for some reason maybe @Kintobor could enlightened us. 

I have had a lot going on in my life at the moment. I run a Dungeons and Dragons campaign on Fridays and I also spent most of my spare time at home preparing for dinner tonight. Tomorrow will see the mission move to Knothole. :classic:

On 1/14/2022 at 6:28 AM, Dutch Thriceman said:

Glad to hear your OK! ... I'm having a bit more trouble posting for Bers this quest as well, as I'm stuck in a bit of a winter depression, myself.

I completely understand - Seasonal Depression has been kicking my megablocks lately! 😬

On 1/14/2022 at 3:16 PM, Duvors said:

Normally what happens when a player can't post is that their character is assumed to be present, but not doing anything of note. In battle their actions are chosen either by the party leader or another player they delegate beforehand.

This is what I assumed, but it feels weird to have Yelana just zone out for a length of time, since I play her as a very active character. 😕

16 hours ago, Kintobor said:

I have had a lot going on in my life at the moment. I run a Dungeons and Dragons campaign on Fridays and I also spent most of my spare time at home preparing for dinner tonight. 

No worries; take the time that you need to! 🙂👍

16 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Tomorrow will see the mission move to Knothole. :classic:

In that case, I think that I will just have Yelana meet up with Polaris and Bers once they reach Knothole (Yelana having arrived independently). 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:09 AM, samurai-turtle said:

The difference between my idea and yours is the reason they are already a "saint". Where yours is they are trying to get sainthood. Where my idea is this miracle is attributed to this saint by a group of "people". 

I was thinking (largely stream-of-consciousness) of ways in which your ideas could be incorporated into a quest, or even made into the basis for one. You are (obviously) free to create whatever narrative you want; I was just throwing out some general ideas. 

(And if my memory is correct you need at least two miracles attributed to said person. Plus I think they need to be dead to even get official sainthood. ) 

I would advise that you not get too bogged-down in real-world requirements for sainthood. Since the game takes place in a highly fictionalised world, you can make the requirements whatever you want them to be/whatever best fits the story that you are trying to tell. 

(Plus I think they need to be dead to even get official sainthood. ) 

A thought: If you want to go this route, what if the saint in-question was presumed dead during the War (or was actually killed but became an Undead), and their return causes a bit of a schism within their religion. It could be an interesting way to explore how Undead are viewed by various religions (particularly older ones, such as the Sovereign Pantheon, which were formed prior to the Gate Collapse). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

On 1/15/2022 at 4:25 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

In that case, I think that I will just have Yelana meet up with Polaris and Bers once they reach Knothole (Yelana having arrived independently). 

This isn't really a tenable assumption. If a fight breaks out while one player is unavailable, their character will still actually have to be present at the scene.

10 hours ago, Duvors said:

You also see... nothing. Nothing at all. Definitely nothing interesting to find here. On the other hand, you do gain a better understanding of how flashlights work.

51762167484_26a0a62475_o.png Flashlight (Tool) Reduces nonmagical darkness-based Obscurement by 2 steps, -1 Stealth successes.

In my defense, I thought for sure that those mushrooms were gonna make me drop dead just for going near them. :tongue: Due caution was being exercised!

Edited by Endgame

6 hours ago, Endgame said:

In my defense, I thought for sure that those mushrooms were gonna make me drop dead just for going near them. :tongue: Due caution was being exercised!

It's entirely fair and reasonable, I'd be worried by glowing sewer mushrooms too. By the by, you'll get a second pass at that perception check since you chose to physically grub around after mushrooms.

There is a long and honoured tradition in Dungeons and Dragons of fungus just being the worst. I don't blame any player who hears a description for a mouldy hallway and decides that discretion is the better part of valour.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:00 PM, Duvors said:

51762167484_26a0a62475_o.png Flashlight (Tool) Reduces nonmagical darkness-based Obscurement by 2 steps, -1 Stealth successes.

On 1/2/2022 at 2:09 AM, Waterbrick Down said:

51793911664_89dfeeeca4_t.jpg Ion Scope - Weapon Attachment (This weapon ignores Obscurement)

@Waterbrick Down: I have some questions about how the Ion Scope works: 
Since there seems to be a difference between magical and non-magical Obscurement, does this affect the Scope's function, or does it ignore all forms of Obscurement?
Can the Scope essentially double as a tool (perhaps via a Weapon check?) to allow a PC to see in an Obscured environment? 

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

@Waterbrick Down: I have some questions about how the Ion Scope works: 
Since there seems to be a difference between magical and non-magical Obscurement, does this affect the Scope's function, or does it ignore all forms of Obscurement?
Can the Scope essentially double as a tool (perhaps via a Weapon check?) to allow a PC to see in an Obscured environment? 

Currently the intention is for the Scope to simply ignore Obscurement regardless of its source, however the effects are limited only to the penalty applied to weapons, so it couldn't be used as a tool.

Hey, Quest #7ers! Given that we're on track to be the longest quest in Heroica: GATS I feel obligated to assure you that we are close to the end on this one. Getting past Engineering puts us solidly in the third act, and the containers have a lot less built-in wandering than Valencia does. It can be hard to judge engagement but I hope you've all enjoyed the ride, even if the investment was a little more than you were expecting! :sweet: 

I've been enjoying myself a lot, Legonater! :thumbup: I have lots to say once we wrap up, but engagement is not an issue on my end.

Oh I’m still having a blast! Been a busy few days, but I’m still all in!

On 1/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, Duvors said:

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't do anything today. I'll be back tomorrow.

No worries on the delay, you're good! :classic: I'm really digging Pip/his stockpile.

Maybe! :grin:

Needless to say, good to see you, MDM. I hope life's been treating you well. :classic:

18 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

I may have to come out of retirement...

Welcome back! We'd be happy to have ya. :classic:

19 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

I may have to come out of retirement...

It's nice to see another old face in here, welcome!

Wild that the idea to move Heroica to space has finally come to fruition like 8 years later. Just dropping in and happy to see some familiar faces after some time. :classic:

On 1/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, JimBee said:

Wild that the idea to move Heroica to space has finally come to fruition like 8 years later. Just dropping in and happy to see some familiar faces after some time. :classic:

What do you know, another old familiar faces. :D Thanks for checking in.

@karmajay, that airlock panel is two squares away, and you have only one velocity. You should choose a different action this turn while moving towards the door, and then you'll be able to open it next turn.

Also, @Dutch Thriceman, why does Bers have two CP invested in spirit when he can't learn spells? :poke:

8 hours ago, Duvors said:

@karmajay, that airlock panel is two squares away, and you have only one velocity. You should choose a different action this turn while moving towards the door, and then you'll be able to open it next turn.

Also, @Dutch Thriceman, why does Bers have two CP invested in spirit when he can't learn spells? :poke:

I should have no CP invested into Spirit, if it says so anywhere that is an error. Edit* I just have the base 1 starting stat spirit that I started the game with.

Edited by Dutch Thriceman