Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - General Discussion

6 hours ago, Duvors said:

The main issue I have with all this is that I cannot figure out how to tie it to the Piloting proficiency. 

I was thinking you just need the proficiency to use said vehicle. 

14 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

I was thinking you just need the proficiency to use said vehicle. 

The problem with making it an explicit requirement is that it prevents non-proficient players from involving themselves in such a scene. I'd much prefer something that makes proficient players better at piloting than making them the only people who can pilot.

An idea: if you end a turn with more momentum than your piloting proficiency you have to make a piloting check vs. your momentum before turning.

Ok, so what do I do with character points to best build a sniper while keeping balanced enough to survive? I understood a levelling up concept but skill trees defeat me in any game I play that needs the, (I usually read FAQs or follow guides created by the wise to build my characters) :blush:

14 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Ok, so what do I do with character points to best build a sniper while keeping balanced enough to survive? I understood a levelling up concept but skill trees defeat me in any game I play that needs the, (I usually read FAQs or follow guides created by the wise to build my characters) :blush:

So it depends on what your goal is. Magic users actually probably make the best snipers because they can hit from almost any range, their downside however is they have a limited number of spells. The next best thing you can do is pump points into Artillery Weapons as they have the longest range and most characters right now tend to have a velocity of 2 or below so it's unlikely they can close the optimum gap (4 squares away) in one turn. Snipers typically fill the "do as much damage in one hit even if it takes multiple turns" role. Right now we don't necessarily have any "classes" that reinforce this role so you're looking at sharing the same space as any other weapon user who's focusing on damage dealing. That being said, your best bet is to focus on raising two stats:
- Your chosen weapon Proficiency: This increases the number of dice rolled when you damage
- Your chosen weapon's damage type Attribute (Strength = Kinetic, Skill = Energy, Smarts = Elemental): At certain levels this will allow you to use a better Grade weapon which increases the static increase when you roll damage, +1, +2, +3, +4 etc.

Eventually we should be bringing on classes which are tied to having a minimum Proficiency Score in at least one of a list of skills. These classes will allow for mechanics that make each class function slightly differently allowing for differentiation between characters even if they have the same Skill Proficiencies. Sniper is probably closest to Assassin or Outlander, so I'd look at the proficiencies of those Classes in the WIP document and focus on raising one of those Proficiencies to 5.

32 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

In my opinion, with your current points, I would suggest increasing your Strength to 3 so you can get +1 Vitality and have access to Calibrated Kinetic Weapons.  Hold on to the last point for now and save it until you complete another quest so you can upgrade your Long Range Weapons. :thumbup:

@Waterbrick DownWhich is the correct spelling: "Quarm" or "Quaarm"? The former is what is in the Embassy thread, but you have used the latter in Mission #1.
Additionally, a character note: Yelana wears a nano-adaptive armoured bodysuit, so technologies that she acquires can simply be integrated with her existing gear and controlled via her visor. This is what I was trying to describe in my most recent post. 

Also, do multiples of the same item (e.g. Plasma Potions) fill multiple slots in a character's Inventory, or just one? I am not sure if we addressed this during development. 🤔

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

14 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

@Waterbrick DownWhich is the correct spelling: "Quarm" or "Quaarm"? The former is what is in the Embassy thread, but you have used the latter in Mission #1.
Additionally, a character note: Yelana wears a nano-adaptive armoured bodysuit, so technologies that she acquires can simply be integrated with her existing gear and controlled via her visor. This is what I was trying to describe in my most recent post. 

Also, do multiples of the same item (e.g. Plasma Potions) fill multiple slots in a character's Inventory, or just one? I am not sure if we addressed this during development. 🤔

:laugh: Good ol' scifi spelling. It should be Quarm.

The nano-adaptive suit is fine, as long as it still fits the mechanics of the game (i.e. you can only have one tool active at a time) and its not setting-breaking in its application then it's cool.

I believe you're right in that we've never discussed it. I'd opt for the former interpretation. Inventory bloat in the last game was as much a problem for equipment as it was consumables. Plus adding a restriction again allows for the creation of mechanical features like classes (Alchemist Trait: Able to ignore the inventory limit for consumables) or items (Quantum Bottle - Tool - Allows player to hold an infinite amount of one type of consumable) in the future which allows for further differentiation amongst the players.

13 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

:laugh: Good ol' scifi spelling. It should be Quarm.

OK. 👍

The nano-adaptive suit is fine, as long as it still fits the mechanics of the game (i.e. you can only have one tool active at a time) and its not setting-breaking in its application then it's cool.

That was my intent (hence the reference to the use of the cloak interfering with Yelana's passive sensors, since the Farsight Goggles were not equipped at the time). 

I believe you're right in that we've never discussed it. I'd opt for the former interpretation. Inventory bloat in the last game was as much a problem for equipment as it was consumables. Plus adding a restriction again allows for the creation of mechanical features like classes (Alchemist Trait: Able to ignore the inventory limit for consumables) or items (Quantum Bottle - Tool - Allows player to hold an infinite amount of one type of consumable) in the future which allows for further differentiation amongst the players.

That works. 👍

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

Posting this here because I didn't want to clog the thread with out of character concerns before I can actually react.

I'm fine with Yelana rolling sleight-of-hand against our perception, but is the fact that she turned invisible right in front us covered by that perception roll? I feel like that should still be noticeable. 

3 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Posting this here because I didn't want to clog the thread with out of character concerns before I can actually react.

I'm fine with Yelana rolling sleight-of-hand against our perception, but is the fact that she turned invisible right in front us covered by that perception roll? I feel like that should still be noticeable. 

I was going to say, I believe there's a spell for that, but we actually do not have a spell that covers invisibility.

4 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

To be clear, I wouldn't say she turned invisible, more like translucent. Still visible, but more difficult to perceive.

2 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

I was going to say, I believe there's a spell for that, but we actually do not have a spell that covers invisibility.

Obfuscate could be argued to allow for it, but you'd need to cast it at the third level to cover up your sight, smell, and sound.

Personally I'd say that we should just assume that the cloaking device does whatever is necessary to make the character's actions more inconspicuous.

7 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

To be clear, I wouldn't say she turned invisible, more like translucent. Still visible, but more difficult to perceive.

Obfuscate could be argued to allow for it, but you'd need to cast it at the third level to cover up your sight, smell, and sound.

2 minutes ago, Duvors said:

Personally I'd say that we should just assume that the cloaking device does whatever is necessary to make the character's actions more inconspicuous.

With a more free form system than 1.0, I'm just making sure we're not seeing characters do things that make spell casting pointless. I'm fine with Yelana going translucent and Duvors' statement on the matter. :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Duvors said:

Agreed, just like the exo-suit improves your Athletics proficiency but doesn't mean you can now automatically lift a space ship.

33 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Correction, we do - albeit as the second stage of the 'Alter Form' spell instead of its own thing.

3 minutes ago, Duvors said:

Correction, we do - albeit as the second stage of the 'Alter Form' spell instead of its own thing.

That works too. :laugh:

Out of curiosity, does the Cloaking Generator have any combat utility, i.e. performing stealth attacks?

2 minutes ago, Yzalirk said:

Out of curiosity, does the Cloaking Generator have any combat utility, i.e. performing stealth attacks?

That would fit under the "Try Something" action and is Mission Master dependent. You could attempt to hide which would probably trigger a Stealth Proficiency Check (which the Cloaking Generator would help with) and then you might be able to make your next attack Lucky or with some sort of bonus if you were successful in hiding. 

1 minute ago, Waterbrick Down said:

That would fit under the "Try Something" action and is Mission Master dependent. You could attempt to hide which would probably trigger a Stealth Proficiency Check and then you might be able to make your next attack Lucky or with some sort of bonus if you were successful in hiding. 

Ah, okay, thanks.  It has been on my mind since I was developing my character.  Especially being a Melee Weapons user and rather squishy, some sort of caveat would be nice haha. :laugh:

Just as a heads up to my current mission participants, I just found out the camping spot for my annual vacation will have no wifi access and poor cell reception. So I will be pretty much unavailable from 8/7-8/15. My apologies as I was intending to continue running missions 1 & 2 with no breaks, but it can't be helped.