Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - General Discussion

10 hours ago, Duvors said:

@Waterbrick Down

A new question for the FAQ:

Q: How much 'fluff' do I have to read beforehand?

A: As much as we'd like to say 'none', that's unfortunately false. We recommend you read at least the Startravel and the Æthergates and Ætherspace entries in the Library. If you're playing an existing species, we recommend reading their entry in the Embassy, as even standard species (Elves, Dwarves, Humans) have some different assumptions here. If you want to incorporate AI into your character or their backstory, the Adamite entry in the same thread explains how the setting handles that.

Added.:thumbup:

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

@Waterbrick Down: While we are making minor corrections; I noticed that the Training Center thread has the following text: "I’m currently assembling a training regime" - While 'regime' can actually be used here, I assume that this is a typo of 'regimen', as that is the more common word to use in this context. 

Fixed. Thanks.

13 hours ago, Duvors said:

And I just found out that the customizable kit in the rules includes 'calbirated'. We can't catch a break can we?

Edit: "Standard Target Numbers Basd..." ^#$%&@! DAMMIT.

And the explanation of what Strength does has 'Knetic' and the Engineer kit has 'Elmental'.

Edit again: In Equipment, 'succssefully' In Essence of Glibness 'persuassion'.

Fixed.

I've entered my character into the registry. If someone could double-check if I did the stats correctly, that'd be grand. I think it's okay, but I'm not 100% sure.

3 minutes ago, Khorne said:

I've entered my character into the registry. If someone could double-check if I did the stats correctly, that'd be grand. I think it's okay, but I'm not 100% sure.

Aside from having one more proficiency than you're supposed to (You gain +1 for every two Smarts) everything looks perfect!

20 minutes ago, Duvors said:

Aside from having one more proficiency than you're supposed to (You gain +1 for every two Smarts) everything looks perfect!

I figured there'd be a mistake there.  Thanks for the help. Putting the stats together is a bit more puzzling than in Heroica 1.0 :laugh:. I've never really played "real" pen-and-paper RPG's/DnD before, that's probably why I'm kind of struggling with it.

I've changed the stats now. I upped the Smarts to 2 and lowered the Short Range proficiency to compensate. All together, I've spent 10 points correctly now (I think).

11 minutes ago, Khorne said:

I figured there'd be a mistake there.  Thanks for the help. Putting the stats together is a bit more puzzling than in Heroica 1.0 :laugh:. I've never really played "real" pen-and-paper RPG's/DnD before, that's probably why I'm kind of struggling with it.

I've changed the stats now. I upped the Smarts to 2 and lowered the Short Range proficiency to compensate. All together, I've spent 10 points correctly now (I think).

You're close. Right now you've spent 7 points as follows:

Skill raised from 1 to 2 = 2 Points
Smarts raised from 1 to 2 = 2 Points
Spirit Raised from 0 to 1 = 2 Points
Nature Raised from 0 to 1 = 1 Point

For skills:
Short Range Weapons (Free)
Insight (Free)
Coding (Free)
Survival (Free due to having at least 2 Smarts)
Nature (Costs 1 Point to increase to level 1)

13 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

You're close. Right now you've spent 7 points as follows:

Skill raised from 1 to 2 = 2 Points
Smarts raised from 1 to 2 = 2 Points
Spirit Raised from 0 to 1 = 2 Points
Nature Raised from 0 to 1 = 1 Point

For skills:
Short Range Weapons (Free)
Insight (Free)
Coding (Free)
Nature (Costs 1 Point to increase to level 1)

I also raised Velocity, which brings the total of spent points to 9. I thought I had to 'pay' for Survival, instead of it being free because of the 2 Smarts.

Thanks for making it clear. I think I'll just leave my 1 leftover point in the bank for now. Gameplay-wise it's probably not the smartest thing to do, but I like the build RP-wise right now. It's the direction I had in mind.

3 minutes ago, Khorne said:

I also raised Velocity, which brings the total of spent points to 9. I thought I had to 'pay' for Survival, instead of it being free because of the 2 Smarts.

Thanks for making it clear. I think I'll just leave my 1 leftover point in the bank for now. Gameplay-wise it's probably not the smartest thing to do, but I like the build RP-wise right now. It's the direction I had in mind.

Velocity bumped to 2 when you increased Skill to 2. The breakdown looks like this:

Velocity and Vitality can be increased directly
Strength/Skill/Smarts/Spirit have secondary benefits for increasing them (extra vitality, extra velocity, extra +1 proficiencies, known spells)
Starting a new proficiency (aside from the free 3) either costs 1 point to bring it from 0 to 1, or you get a free one for ever 2 Smarts.

@Khorne One final thing to remember is that Spirit is the only attribute that gives you its benefit for every +1 you put in instead of every +2.

Good evening all!

I may not have been a member at the time, but I was a spectator towards the end of the original Heroica's run and I loved what I saw, so it was a real pleasure to be invited to join its revival! And my, what a revival it is! Even now there's such a good deal of rich lore that I'm having difficulty in deciding on a character (undead adamite, quarm, stratitarian?)

I did have a question or two though. 

Occult is mentioned as relating to phantasmagoric content with demons and cosmic horrors, but I don't think much is mentioned on that subject; is it an unexplored part of the lore or is there existing content that just hasn't been revealed?

And is there somewhere to host backstories or is that only brought up during play?

35 minutes ago, Devcon101 said:

Good evening all!

I may not have been a member at the time, but I was a spectator towards the end of the original Heroica's run and I loved what I saw, so it was a real pleasure to be invited to join its revival! And my, what a revival it is! Even now there's such a good deal of rich lore that I'm having difficulty in deciding on a character (undead adamite, quarm, stratitarian?)

Occult is mentioned as relating to phantasmagoric content with demons and cosmic horrors, but I don't think much is mentioned on that subject; is it an unexplored part of the lore or is there existing content that just hasn't been revealed?

And is there somewhere to host backstories or is that only brought up during play?

Nice to see you here! As to your questions...

The written lore is the full extent of the current 'cannon'. The setting (including existing setting elements) is designed to be expanded by players and members over time, even if those expansions never make it into a 'official' Library entry. In fact part of the Library's purpose is to host lore entries written by players, which they are free to post directly into the topic itself should they wish to.

As for backstories, there is no official place to host them or even a requirement to have one really. If you want you can have one in your entry in the Statistical Registry, you can have one on your Eurobricks user profile, or you can keep it to yourself until revealing it in character.

2 hours ago, Devcon101 said:

Good evening all!

Hi Devcon and welcome to the game!

Duvors is spot on about backstory being included in either a spoiler on your post in the Hero Statistical Registry thread, on your user profile page, or revealed over time in interactions with other characters. Heroica 1.0 had players who used each one.

As far as demons and cosmic horrors go, there's not a lot of set lore around them yet, a few of the mission masters have postulated about it, but nothing is set in stone yet and probably won't be until someone starts writing a mission for one or someone plays a character that is tied to it. The Magic and Ætherspace entries in the Library thread go a little into the cosmology of the setting with there being different spheres of reality one of them being the Ætherial and another the terrestrial or "material". So with that in mind it's not far fetched to suppose there could be demons and other powers in other spheres that might manifest into the terrestrial sphere at times. In fact the Thudaal species specifically comes from another one of those non-terrestrial spheres.

15 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Velocity bumped to 2 when you increased Skill to 2. The breakdown looks like this:

Velocity and Vitality can be increased directly
Strength/Skill/Smarts/Spirit have secondary benefits for increasing them (extra vitality, extra velocity, extra +1 proficiencies, known spells)
Starting a new proficiency (aside from the free 3) either costs 1 point to bring it from 0 to 1, or you get a free one for ever 2 Smarts.

15 hours ago, Duvors said:

@Khorne One final thing to remember is that Spirit is the only attribute that gives you its benefit for every +1 you put in instead of every +2.

Thanks again for the extra help. I've re-read the rules several times and, together with your explanations, it makes more sense to me now :thumbup:.

Since my only proper experience with a "real" written RPG is Heroica 1.0, I find it an interesting challenge to play a - and write for - a new character. Part of me wants to default to Eric's Chaotic Neutral, individualist and misantropic deep-gray morality in these philosophical matters, but I definitely also want something "new" and not to retread what I had in 1.0. By the end of Heroica 1.0 I fully had the character in my mind and fingers, so I guess there's a bit of muscle memory that is trying to push me into that "old" direction. It's a fascinating process.

EDIT: Minor background question: did the trial regarding the Chimeran's sapience happen (long) before the Five Years War or during the War? I'm guessing (long) before, since they seceded fairly quickly afterwards.

3 hours ago, Khorne said:

Thanks again for the extra help. I've re-read the rules several times and, together with your explanations, it makes more sense to me now :thumbup:.

Since my only proper experience with a "real" written RPG is Heroica 1.0, I find it an interesting challenge to play a - and write for - a new character. Part of me wants to default to Eric's Chaotic Neutral, individualist and misantropic deep-gray morality in these philosophical matters, but I definitely also want something "new" and not to retread what I had in 1.0. By the end of Heroica 1.0 I fully had the character in my mind and fingers, so I guess there's a bit of muscle memory that is trying to push me into that "old" direction. It's a fascinating process.

EDIT: Minor background question: did the trial regarding the Chimeran's sapience happen (long) before the Five Years War or during the War? I'm guessing (long) before, since they seceded fairly quickly afterwards.

No problem. I know the feeling of wanting to revert back to Skrall’s mannerisms. :laugh:

The Chimeran race was “created” fully formed approximately 85 years before the current setting. They won their recognition as a sentient species 30 years ago.

I’ll try and get a timeline posted to the library for general events.

7 hours ago, Khorne said:

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

No problem. I know the feeling of wanting to revert back to Skrall’s mannerisms. :laugh:

A pretty major influence on Enson's character is my desire to pay someone distinct from Throlar. I can say that it's a refreshing experience.

2 hours ago, Duvors said:

A pretty major influence on Enson's character is my desire to pay someone distinct from Throlar. I can say that it's a refreshing experience.

I more or less went out of my way to make Soren the opposite of Dyric. :laugh:

I wouldn't say Zaria is a complete opposite of Karie, but I did try and make sure the two are different characters, same goes for Annienal.

Looks very cool, gang. I'm a big RPG guy now (just passed by 3 years of weekly D&D) so it's nice to see that my roots are coming back into play! I live in an itsy bitsy apartment now, instead of my parents house which had a big ol' room for LEGO, and I have, you know, a job and what-not (funny how life changes between high school and your masters) BUT that being said, I'm hoping I can at the very least play a bit as a player, and see some of the old gang inhabiting new characters. Maybe host a quest. Maybe.

The rules look cool and dynamic and a little complex, so gonna have to give them a good read. Let me know if anyone wouldn't mind throwing together a character portrait for me, since my LEGOs are all boxed up in an attic somewhere!

Glad to see another returning face! I wouldn't mind throwing something together for you, but my collection is rather limited so keep that in mind.

35 minutes ago, Zepher said:

Looks very cool, gang. I'm a big RPG guy now (just passed by 3 years of weekly D&D) so it's nice to see that my roots are coming back into play! I live in an itsy bitsy apartment now, instead of my parents house which had a big ol' room for LEGO, and I have, you know, a job and what-not (funny how life changes between high school and your masters) BUT that being said, I'm hoping I can at the very least play a bit as a player, and see some of the old gang inhabiting new characters. Maybe host a quest. Maybe.

The rules look cool and dynamic and a little complex, so gonna have to give them a good read. Let me know if anyone wouldn't mind throwing together a character portrait for me, since my LEGOs are all boxed up in an attic somewhere!

Zepher!!! Glad to see a returning face even if it’s just checking in. Yep, we’ve all come a long way. I’ve got plenty of space for building now compared to my college days and DM’d plenty more D&D campaigns since then, but now 4 kids make it a challenge just to get a solid hour of building in.:laugh:

Rules are a bit deeper than 1.0 but hopefully that allows for more unique character concepts. Looking forward to if you get involved even as a player. :sweet:

Yes, it looks interesting and pretty different! I'm super into support classes and battlefield control, so I'm thinking something with religion/occult (Healing Light, Mystic Binding, Purging Font, Quantum Transport, Restful Sleep) and maybe focus on the health/armor/spirit stats? I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the point buy works. And proficiencies seem to level up with both the base stats, and also we can buy them directly? Is that right?

I'm also seeing a mention of "at rank 1" is there something that explains what that means that I'm missing?

On 6/11/2021 at 3:41 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

This is what is confusing to me? Is survival something that is acquired thanks to having 2 smarts, OR do you gain any one proficiency (your choice) by virtue of having two smarts?

Another question for the group while I think this character through:
I may be thinking long term but how will character progression work in terms of advancement? I was interested in playing a scientist or maybe an inventor, and so was interested in if I could develop experiments or devices as I advance (for example, make stronger and unique potions if I was an alchemist)?

1 hour ago, Zepher said:

I'm also seeing a mention of "at rank 1" is there something that explains what that means that I'm missing?

This is what is confusing to me? Is survival something that is acquired thanks to having 2 smarts, OR do you gain any one proficiency (your choice) by virtue of having two smarts?

I believe they are taking about proficiencies, so everything at level 0 (or rank 0) but then goes to level 1 (or rank 1). 

I believe he was using that person stats as an example. It is more like the second example you mentioned. So for every two points you put into Smarts you get a new level (or rank) one proficiency. So when your Smarts are at 2,4,6,8,10 you get a new proficiency. Most stats do not go over 10. 

42 minutes ago, Devcon101 said:

Another question for the group while I think this character through:
I may be thinking long term but how will character progression work in terms of advancement? I was interested in playing a scientist or maybe an inventor, and so was interested in if I could develop experiments or devices as I advance (for example, make stronger and unique potions if I was an alchemist)?

I got a feeling probably not. But at the same time your character could have a workshop on the station. As for playing some type of scientist, I would guess you need the right proficiencies on your character. 

My character's been done but I'm waiting to get back from a family visit so I'm not missing out in nonsense in the Hall. :thumbup: