Sign in to follow this  
anothergol

Bricklink revamped

I saw it, found it empty/didn't find where stuff was hidden, and immediately switched to the old style.

..but I can understand why it's needed. I remember BL being pretty messy & confusing when I first started using it. Only it's very powerful and for those who are used to it, the new clean empty feels weird.
Also it's scary, to see Lego mess with the perfection that BL is, while they've never been able to do a proper website themselves. Imagine if Lego's web team took over at Bricklink, that would be a disaster. Sure BL isn't a beauty, but it works & is reliable, something that Lego has never been able to achieve themselves.

It's weird to see Lego change this first (well, second after dumping all third-party parts, even all the custom-chromed ones I found out the other day), while there's better stuff to do. Like to stop relying on the community to guess what changed in every new mould, to unify all color names, and to give Studio proper, precise, in-house 3D models that already exist.

Personally, I use BrickLink rather much as a buyer and I have no problems with finding my stuff. It is powerful and reliable indeed. And there are far more parts to buy than on the official LEGO-site. And most times for a reasonable amount of money too.

I can only hope that BL does not turn into a kind of Pick-a-Brick store with fewer different part and too high prices…     

All space sets are now listed under a single category, with no way to filter by theme (Classic Space, Futuron, Blacktron, etc.).  Users can still filter by year.  Really?  

Well, it seems like one of the primary goals of this update is to make the site more accessible from mobile devices, which is something I have always wanted, so I am fine with this update. A lot of elements about the Bricklink site are still incredibly outdated, so it is about time it received a proper update. However, I do share your concern about the unexperienced TLG messing up too much with the site and potentially ruin it...

Am I the only one suddenly getting the old version (XP one works) blocked by my antivirus (AVG)?
"URL:Blacklisted". Strange that it happens right now.

I just had to switch back to XP in order to confirm an order received, and wanted to check what new stuff the same seller had. There was just NO link to the seller, while its name was written everywhere. Really Lego, you can't turn a label into a URL? I had to google the seller's name in order to find his BL store.

Edited by anothergol

Where is Bricklink updated and how can that be seen? Looks the same on my phone as past weeks to me.

Personally when I use BL I always go straight to the Catalog to find what I want. It has all the search-ability I could possibly need and is really the only part of BL I use, both for research purposes and as a starting point for compiling things I might want to buy.

As long as they never ruin the Catalog, I'll be happy.