Doom2099

Ninjago getting more popular?

Hello, I'm just curious if anyone else is seeing a whole new level of interest in Ninjago lately?

Between the Ninjago City Gardens driving prices way up on the original Ninjago City and Docks, to Bricklink prices through the roof on some minifigures, I'm just curious if others are seeing the same?

With the episodes on Netflix, Legacy sets on shelves, it seems like this would have been a good time to release the movie!

Edited by Doom2099

Ninjago has always been popular, reaching its all-time peak was in 2017 after the LEGO Ninjago Movie (I'd argue it has gone downhill since then). The Ninjago City sets are popular now because they can appeal to a wider range of LEGO fans, even those who have no interest in Ninjago otherwise. 

So I wouldn't say Ninjago as a whole is getting more popular (it hasn't been on the list of top selling LEGO themes since 2018), it is just the Ninjago City D2C sets in particular that people really want. Even if LEGO released them under a completely different branding, like Creator Expert, I'd argue they'll be just as popular, if not more. 

Edited by Lego David

I think Ninjago going into more extreme themes might be more popular as a niche, but hard to tell overall.

I liked Season 13 a lot due to being so Fantasy focused instead of Tech (the mech set was also seperate, and the only "vehicle" beside dragons).

I also liked the Legacy Temple as it came with full team of legacy ninjas+wu, as a standalone set.

Legacy also helps newer people to catch up or return to the theme.

Of course the 3 large City/Docks/Gardens set seem popular here, but they are huge sets and budget wise certainly AFOL targeted, but I think a lot of people that collect modulars, also collect those large Ninjago sets, and other large area sets for example  the Ghost Buster HQ, Spring Lantern Festival and the upcoming Marvel Skyscraper for a layout.

Edited by TeriXeri

I don’t really watch Ninjoa tv show or collect any sets (excep for Sushi Chef from CMF Ninjago Movie series, that’s it). I only watched the earliest seasons and the Ninjago Movie. 

But is Ninjago already evergreen with strong popularity? I mean it’s 2021 and it’s 10 years since Ninjago was introduced. Star Wars and City are also evergreen without getting discontinued. Nexo Kight is already discontinued  for some reasons (budget, popularity, etc). I’m not sure if Ninjago can survive for another 10 years? 

28 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I don’t really watch Ninjoa tv show or collect any sets (excep for Sushi Chef from CMF Ninjago Movie series, that’s it). I only watched the earliest seasons and the Ninjago Movie. 

But is Ninjago already evergreen with strong popularity? I mean it’s 2021 and it’s 10 years since Ninjago was introduced. Star Wars and City are also evergreen without getting discontinued. Nexo Kight is already discontinued  for some reasons (budget, popularity, etc). I’m not sure if Ninjago can survive for another 10 years? 

I certainly think there's a link between the last couple of action themes, as Nexo retired, Hidden Side appeared, and Hidden Side retired super fast suddenly when Monkie Kid appeared. Also with the overlap of vehicles/build styles (and Chima to a lesser extent to the earlier ninjago years)

Currently Monkie Kid seems to draw a lot of similar shapes/concepts from both Nexo and Ninjago in it's designs, and some Chima inspirations mainly with the Spider Queen and monkeys.

Ninjago going Legacy does seem a way to keep the theme going however, and gives new and old fans to relive some older sets, I don't think LEGO would do that if it weren't meant to stay longer, now LEGO always has some sets from previous seasons to go by.

With Monkie Kid currently however, I do think Ninjago has to go more specialized themes on their main seasons to be a bit different from just more Mechs and big wheelers, and going things like island/catamarans and now submarines instead.

Monkie Kid isn't just yet another action/vehicle theme, it's also Asian/Chinese influenced, so thematically there's more overlap in some aspects.

LEGO is also doing a big marketing push into China, with Chinese New years sets, and opening lots of stores there, so if Monkie Kid happened to have priority over Hidden Side (Which again retired super fast after the last wave), that wouldn't surprise me.

Legacy still allows ninjago to remake older vehicles without needing an entire similar wave, I don't think Ninjago would do a wave like 2011 or 2012 again which had a lot of Skeleton and Snake vehicles, but will do the ocassional remake instead.

Edited by TeriXeri

16 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I certainly think there's a link between the last couple of action themes, as Nexo retired, Hidden Side appeared, and Hidden Side retired super fast suddenly when Monkie Kid appeared. Also with the overlap of vehicles/build styles (and Chima to a lesser extent to the earlier ninjago years)

Currently Monkie Kid seems to draw a lot of similar shapes/concepts from both Nexo and Ninjago in it's designs, and some Chima inspirations mainly with the Spider Queen and monkeys.

Ninjago going Legacy does seem a way to keep the theme going however, and gives new and old fans to relive some older sets, I don't think LEGO would do that if it weren't meant to stay longer, now LEGO always has some sets from previous seasons to go by.

With Monkie Kid currently however, I do think Ninjago has to go more specialized themes on their main seasons to be a bit different from just more Mechs and big wheelers, and going things like island/catamarans and now submarines instead.

Monkie Kid isn't just yet another action/vehicle theme, it's also Asian/Chinese influenced, so thematically there's more overlap in some aspects.

LEGO is also doing a big marketing push into China, with Chinese New years sets, and opening lots of stores there, so if Monkie Kid happened to have priority over Hidden Side (Which again retired super fast after the last wave), that wouldn't surprise me.

Legacy still allows ninjago to remake older vehicles without needing an entire similar wave, I don't think Ninjago would do a wave like 2011 or 2012 again which had a lot of Skeleton and Snake vehicles, but will do the ocassional remake instead.

Wait what? I thought Nexo Knights were cancelled rather than “retired”? 

Anyways, yeah I agree with you. Recently, I noticed that Ninjago moving away the city area and jumped into jungle/island and then dove into ocean. I just think these island and ocean subthemes very interesting. But yeah, I notice some Legacy sets were remade a few times throughout time period of its production line. I think it’s a good idea to do Legacy sets for new and old fans. For example, old fans missed opportunity to buy the older set but now they have a chance to get a remade one while new fans are able to get new ones (or at least miss opportunity like old fans do). 

Yes, Monkie Kid is a Chinese influence because it’s based off “Journey to the West” novel. Despite some weird set names, like white Horse Dragon Bike/Jet or Demon Bull King, sets really look cool with some new parts/colors ‘characters (Spider Queen, bull minions, Princess Iron Fan, Sandy, etc). True, Lego does push marketing stuff into China but Chinese New Year sets are not for China alone. You may know that there are Chinatowns around the world. And i think it’s really neat. 

11 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

True, Lego does push marketing stuff into China but Chinese New Year sets are not for China alone. You may know that there are Chinatowns around the world. And i think it’s really neat. 

I know, I'm glad LEGO started selling the Chinese New Year / Festival sets worldwide after the first year, as the sets are great.

As with the faith of Nexo Knights, there was an unofficial type of ending via the magazine comics, the cartoon show never got a season for the 2018 sets, so yeah cancelled might be the right word, but the magazine still continued until the end of 2018 here in Europe.

Hidden Side disappeared much faster, the summer 2020 wave sets were only sold for a few months, the last wave of Nexo Knight sets were available for over a year until early 2019.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 5/20/2021 at 2:10 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

Wait what? I thought Nexo Knights were cancelled rather than “retired”? 

Anyways, yeah I agree with you. Recently, I noticed that Ninjago moving away the city area and jumped into jungle/island and then dove into ocean. I just think these island and ocean subthemes very interesting. But yeah, I notice some Legacy sets were remade a few times throughout time period of its production line. I think it’s a good idea to do Legacy sets for new and old fans. For example, old fans missed opportunity to buy the older set but now they have a chance to get a remade one while new fans are able to get new ones (or at least miss opportunity like old fans do). 

Yes, Monkie Kid is a Chinese influence because it’s based off “Journey to the West” novel. Despite some weird set names, like white Horse Dragon Bike/Jet or Demon Bull King, sets really look cool with some new parts/colors ‘characters (Spider Queen, bull minions, Princess Iron Fan, Sandy, etc). True, Lego does push marketing stuff into China but Chinese New Year sets are not for China alone. You may know that there are Chinatowns around the world. And i think it’s really neat. 

For a theme reaching the end of its run, "cancelled" and "retired" mean pretty much the same thing—deciding not to continue it. Since "cancelled" has a more negative connotation I would generally tend to use that term for instances where a formally announced product release, movie, or TV season got aborted before launch (such as the cancellation of Galidor before the final sets, which had even appeared in catalogs, had been released, or the cancellation of the movie "The Billion Brick Race" which had been formally announced but never left development), rather than something like Nexo Knights where, despite plans for further sets and story likely existing internally, ended with all of the sets that had been expected released and the story concluding, albeit in a massively scaled down magazine comic rather than a full TV season like previous story arcs got.

Ninjago has always been popular among all age ranges. KFOLs love them because they are filled with action. AFOLs love them because some of them make great collectors items. Others are good for table town dressing.

I think the 10th Anniversary of Ninjago could be a factor contributing to a potential rise in popularity for the theme. I’ve seen a lot of teenagers or young adults who grew up with the show that are old enough to have nostalgia for it, as well as them now having the funds to buy more of the sets. I mean for me personally, I would probably fall into that demographic. I was huge into Ninjago from 2015 through 2018 and after that, my interest in the theme fizzled out for a few years up until the recent 10th Anniversary wave. I got all of those sets and have gone on to get Ninjago City Gardens, all of The Island sets and even went back to get some sets from last year that I skipped out on. I also plan on getting most of, if not all of, the summer wave because my reinvigorated enjoyment of the theme continues to carry on. I’m sure I’m not alone in that and it probably wouldn’t have happened if not for the 10th Anniversary festivities. I’d say Lego has done a good job taking advantage of this occasions with multiple short films, in-store promotions and even clothing brand collabs. They’ve arguably been promoting the theme the most it’s been since the movie came out. 

The Ninjago show also seems to be doing well on Netflix as I often see it in the “trending” tab whenever I hop on the app. Again, because of the 10th Anniversary, I’ve been slowly rewatching the show this year which I imagine is what a lot of other folks are doing. Adding the show onto Netflix is probably also helping it gain more popularity with kids as Cartoon Network has been doing an atrocious job at airing the show in America. Most kids are probably watching the show on Netflix at thus point as it’s far more accessible.

In general: I think it's similar to cinema. There's just so many products out there; you always need a recognizable brand - otherwise noone will see your expensive "John Carter" movie and you'll loose your investment. Like cinema - Lego deals also with an international audience so you gotta satisfy many tastes but at the same time refrain from pushing away as many diverse people as possible.

I doubt classic themes can stand alone - so everything is covered by licences. While those are limited by source material, themes like ninjago can give us something more creative and diverse (colourful vehicles and creatures instead of the bland grey with a little white, blue, black and red vehicles. Also they come from Lego's own inspiration and themes; they don't have to pay big money to disney so there should be some motivation to promote this (which is why I think some licence themes get a bad treatment). Other then this you got your classic stuff - police, fire trucks, cars, etc.

..getting more popular - I have no accurate numbers and I think this is always difficult to say. Many TV shows or movies were flops and cancelled but became incredibly popular afterwards. Some maybe only stayed niche products and therefore remain through a vocal minority but would not sustain themselves again. Who can say what is what? Again I'd need numbers. The drastic price increase since this wave could have many reasons - like other themes with more effort effecting the pricing.

Proper availabilty on a reachable streaming service for sure is a good indicator for a wider range. Ninjago - until now - has always sucked when it was about "HOW can we watch it". New episodes are available on Youtube long before anywhere else.

Looking at Harry Potter, sets are all based on movies that are almost 10+ years old since the last 2011 movie, and of course the books are still read/sold and other media like games.

I like the current diverse approach of Ninjago subthemes, LEGO doesn't really go into full Castle/Pirates/Space/Aquazone themes anymore, so Ninjago going pseudo Gaming / Castle / Islanders / Aquazone in the last few waves is still more interesting then just Legacy , but even so, I think Ninjago could probably still survive a few years of 100% Legacy sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

Also the kids that were 10-12 years olds when Ninjago first came out, are now 20-22 AFOLs

They are going for the nostalgia factor there. It doesnt surprise me that the theme is getting D2Cs constantly

It will be interesting to see of they go back to the beginning again, like SW does

On 6/14/2021 at 12:09 PM, Robert8 said:

Also the kids that were 10-12 years olds when Ninjago first came out, are now 20-22 AFOLs

They are going for the nostalgia factor there. It doesnt surprise me that the theme is getting D2Cs constantly

It will be interesting to see of they go back to the beginning again, like SW does

Ninjago isn't really getting D2Cs "constantly". It's really only had three big D2C sets since 2015, and there was a whole year between the retirement of the last one (Ninjago City) and the introduction of the latest one (Ninjago City Gardens). It does tend to get more D2C sets than a lot of other original themes (which probably has to do with its evergreen status ensuring that D2Cs don't outlast demand for the theme as a whole), but it's nowhere near as much of a mainstay as, say, lines like modular buildings or Winter Village sets (which get one installment each year), let alone themes like Star Wars (which typically get multiple D2Cs every year).

It's really interesting if Ninjago is having a big resurgence now. I mean, yeah it makes sense since the theme is excellent. But, it seems like the '90s and 2000s themes haven't yet had their big resurgences (from fans-as-kids turning into adults) like the '70s and '80s ones did. So either there's some reason those two decades were skipped...

Well, I'm just gonna chalk it up to Ninjago being obviously great and appealing to adults as well as children. It's really hard to beat, with great set designs, lower prices than the big licenses, and really cool figures, whether or not you've seen any of the show (and I haven't, but I must have at least a hundred Ninjago figures by now, counting duplicates).

Oh and in 5-20 years when themes like Aquazone are seen as the prestigious ancient kings, I'm not going to apologize for having bought all the cheap Aquazone parts and figures on BrickLink this decade, while they're still cheap.

(Damn though, why didn't I buy figures like Lloyd DX half a decade ago? I realize that saying "$30 for a figure is too expensive; that's highway robbery!" will sound naive to the superhero and Star Wars people but, well, I'm not a superhero or Star Wars person!)

Edited by Flak Maniak

It's just an anecdote but when I went to the Lego store near me two days ago, most of the new Ninjago sets on my wishlist (71738, 71754, 71755, and 71756) were all sold out less than halfway through the month of their release. The only one I was planning on getting that I was able to pick up there was 71753 Fire Dragon Attack. As always, anecdotes aren't necessarily indicative of a wider trend, but it certainly did surprise me that so many newly released sets from that one specific theme were out of stock already.

Edited by Lyichir

Earlier this year, a few months back, the Legacy Epic Battle $10 sets were at crazy prices on Amazon, and to this day they're still limit 3 on Lego.com. Well, maybe almost everything is limit 3 there. Still, they were flying off the shelves earlier this year!

I couldn't care less about Ninjago as a theme. I also have every Ninjago City set, so take that for what you will

Edited by Modal

On 8/16/2021 at 9:58 PM, Flak Maniak said:

Oh and in 5-20 years when themes like Aquazone are seen as the prestigious ancient kings, I'm not going to apologize for having bought all the cheap Aquazone parts and figures on BrickLink this decade, while they're still cheap.

I cannot see that happening. There is not really much of a following 25 years after and it has been surpassed in the same genre by Atlantis although even that doesn't really have much of a following. And for the most part, the figures are boring, like the divers from Atlantis. They don't have the simplistic charm of the classic space or castle figures from before it, but the detail is not as good as what has come after.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:58 PM, Flak Maniak said:

(Damn though, why didn't I buy figures like Lloyd DX half a decade ago? I realize that saying "$30 for a figure is too expensive; that's highway robbery!" will sound naive to the superhero and Star Wars people but, well, I'm not a superhero or Star Wars person!)

What about all the other older Ninjago figures that are not worth that much now. While some have become sought after, others from the same era have not increased so much in value. You need to bet not just on a theme but on specific versions of specific characters. Winners are normally popular characters that have a variant exclusive to one set that has a limited distribution. 

I went back to old BL sales records and I sold a load of njo070 back in 2014-16 for £10-£14. He was exclusive to a book that was often sold for £5 and sometimes £3. These days he is worth £14-15. So would not have been a good investment. 

Yes, until the underwater season I haven't bought any Ninjago sets since the Ninjago Movie... but the new theme is so good. I already have the Water Dragon and looking to get the sub speeder set as well.

The problem I found with Ninjago is that the majority of the sets don't match up with the quality or creativity of the sets from the Ninjago Movie line. That said both the Island and Underwater theme have some incredible looking sets and the quality/creativity seems to be much better.

Edited by LegendaryArticuno

On 8/16/2021 at 3:58 PM, Flak Maniak said:

It's really interesting if Ninjago is having a big resurgence now. I mean, yeah it makes sense since the theme is excellent. But, it seems like the '90s and 2000s themes haven't yet had their big resurgences (from fans-as-kids turning into adults) like the '70s and '80s ones did. So either there's some reason those two decades were skipped...

Well, I'm just gonna chalk it up to Ninjago being obviously great and appealing to adults as well as children. It's really hard to beat, with great set designs, lower prices than the big licenses, and really cool figures, whether or not you've seen any of the show (and I haven't, but I must have at least a hundred Ninjago figures by now, counting duplicates).

I don't think we're going to see the huge nostalgia boom for 90s and 2000s sets largely because that was the era when Lego was not doing so great, so you already have a smaller number of people who grew up on those sets, and most of them probably aren't afols. 

You see Bionicle nostalgia since that was essentially what was keeping Lego afloat at the time, but nothing else really (except for like Space Police 3, but I think that has more to do with classic SP nostalgia than anything else). I was in a Discord server dedicated to 2000s Lego at one point, and there were only around 70 users. 

8 hours ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

I don't think we're going to see the huge nostalgia boom for 90s and 2000s sets largely because that was the era when Lego was not doing so great, so you already have a smaller number of people who grew up on those sets, and most of them probably aren't afols. 

I am one of those people who stopped interest in LEGO around 2001 due to circumstances (age, hobbies, video gaming/internet's rise), it was a pretty weird time for LEGO system themes from about 1997 until about 2004, my comeback was mainly due to Nexo Knights triggering a lot of ice Planet and Castle nostalgia from mid-90s (1994-1996 were very nostalgic years for me)

I'd say overall early 2000s was the major downfall for most "Classic" system themes , this is a personal perspective in hindsight :

• Adventurers: appeared 1997, started out very strong, but even adventurers suffered some simplified blocky builds during it's own Dino era, still had some later spin-offs, licensed and unlicensed with prince of persia, indiana jones, pharaoh's quest and similarities to some early ninjago (Dragon Fortress especially)
  • Castle:  Dark Forest in 1996 that never was sold in Europe, followed by a somewhat simplified but still popular Fright Knights, followed by a completely new direction with Ninja, and then 2000 Castle was pretty much 1995-Juniors in terms of parts.
  • Space UFO 1997 and Insectoids 1998-1999 had very cool and detailed prints and transparent parts/minifigs, but costly electronics, especially on UFO, 2001 Mars went a completely different direction without minifigs, current direction isn't as it used to be, but mainly via City/LEGO Movies, and now Monkie Kid/City for 2022.
  • Pirates: "Classic era" ended after 1997, while briefly returning in exclusive released remakes in 2001 (which weren't that well known as internet shopping was small compared to now) , took until 2009 to be rebooted with a more modern take, short lived in 2015 as well, recently got strong remake with barracuda bay, future is a bit uncertain.
  • Town: a mixed bag of junior and still some fairly nice sets and experiments like LEGO island or Jack Stone, the green-road plates probably cost a lot more to produce as well due to road being printed on it, also Spaceport Electronics probanbly were costly like the actual space themes, Sports was one of the more unique spin-offs, and those NBA  figs were likely part of contribution to flesh figures beside Cloud City Lando, currently City still proves to be very popular.
  • Harry Potter: appeared 2001, sort of following a similar blocky style as Fright Knights, Ninja and 2000 Castle until 2004, can't really tell much about popularity as I didn't follow the books/movies until years after, currently a very strong lineup since the 2018 reboot.
  • Paradisa / Scala / Bellville , multiple themes focused mainly on girls, but can be seen as evolution to Friends and DOTS, Friends just reached it's 10th anniversary.

Depending on theme, mid 2000s was about the recovery for some themes like World City, Orient expedition, was a more of less return to more normal style sets.

• Star Wars: had a start backed up by 3 prequel movies and it's non-stop run for 20+ years certainly shows popularity was big and still is.
  • Bionicle: I have no experience with it , but I loved the Slizers, Bionicle itself lasted until 2009, then CCBS took various forms like hero factory, chima, buildable star wars figs, etc and a short reboot until 2016, so overall almost a 2-decade run of CCBS including slizers.
  • Studios I have no experience with either but eventually lead to Dinosaurs and Spider-man, having their own spin-offs like adventurer dino/dino-attack NA(dino 2010 EU) and standalone spider-man into batman.

Overall the sets had a lot of chrome parts and high amount of prints, including the green road baseplates with roads printed on top, which probably in the end were costly, combined with some themes having high-cost electronics.

I still think 1995-2005 was a decade of a lot of experimentation, but also obvious success stories, and also evolution of themes into other themes.

Current ninjago wave is a pretty good mix where different ages are taken in consideration, and I don't think it's fair to compare the 6+ sets to Juniors or year 2000s simplification, despite having less parts in those younger target sets.

Also I think nowadays perspective of calling everyhing juniors is skewed by how many super large and complex sets , nowadays a lot of 16+ and 18+ sets exist, I think the current City target age of 4+ to 7+ reflects complexity compared to the upper end of 8+ and 9+ including Friends and Ninjago pretty well.

Edited by TeriXeri

Regarding this topic's core question of whether Ninjago is getting more popular, I'd consider some things like how quickly the big January releases sold out in the U.S. and an overall scarcity of sales on older sets to be good signs. Part of that may be pandemic-related supply issues—but either way, Lego is certainly not having trouble with the theme not selling well.

Truth be told this could end up being a little inconvenient as a fan. Last year I designed an extra-long version of the Hydro Bounty on Stud.io, and hoped to maybe pick up a second copy of the set to build it in real life once we started to see clearance sales on the "Seabound" wave (which I expected would happen later this year). But with sell-through being extremely high over the holidays and demand not seeming to taper off much even afterward, I'm a little worried that there might not end up being many leftover copies of the larger sets to get discounted at all!

While I have no interest in Ninjas, I have so many Ninjago sets that I bought for the builds or the enemy characters. 

Most of my Lego sets are fantasy themed, I love Hidden Side, Ultra Agents, Scooby Doo, Nexo Knights and Monkie Kid. I use ghosts, Skullkin and monsters from Ninjago with these other themes. Crux, Acronix, Pythor, Eyezor, Ninjroids, Overborg etc fit into most of these other themes as fun supervillains,

Ninjago City and Ninjago City Gardens are my Monkie Kid City, Ninjago's Temple of Resurrection was my Flower Fruit Mountain/Monkey King's house until Lego made Flower Fruit Mountain for real, My Nexo Knights drive around in Ninjago vehicles (and Star Wars ones that I modified with Nexo Knight colours).

Like Ninjago, I also have no interest in Harry Potter, Marvel, DC or Star Wars but I have lots of those sets to add fun creatures, characters, vehicles and locations to the themes I am interested in. I imagine many AFOLS buy a lot of Ninjago sets without actually being into the Ninja narrative.