eric trax

[MOC] Mining Dump Truck - Lego Technic 42114 Model B

Building B-models between major projects has become quite normal for me. Such a break and playing only with Technic bricks is a very good way to reset my mind 😊 This time it was the 42114 set and the Mining Dump Truck was created as an alternative model, for the excavator from the 42100 set.

minning_dump_truck_4.jpg

minning_dump_truck_1.jpg

The plan to build this vehicle from the 42114 set appeared a few months ago. I put it off for later, because I thought I wouldn't have enough panels to build a nice dump box. Over the weekend, I sat down with bricks and in a few hours the first version of the tipper was created. I liked it so much that the final version differs from the prototype only with minor changes.

The biggest difficulty in building this model was its size of frame. When planning, I insisted that the model must use the original app, because that could be easily configured and played with it immediately. The machine has double wheels on the rear axle, so the frame basically contains the engines, gearbox, and a rear axle. In addition, the set has only long actuators so placing them in the dumper was also not easy. At the end, everything was packed into a pretty nice model, which uses over 78% of the set elements.

The tipper was supposed to look good with the R9800 excavator from the 42100 set. So I scaled the Liebherr T282 to 1:42 scale and built the model on it. The appearance of the dump truck is a combination of the previously mentioned Liebherr and CAT 793F. It is not an exact copy, but there are similarities.

Building instructions: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-76959/M_longer/42114-mining-dump-truck/

Check out photos and a short video presenting the model's functions:

minning_dump_truck_1.jpg_thumb.jpg minning_dump_truck_2.jpg_thumb.jpg minning_dump_truck_3.jpg_thumb.jpg minning_dump_truck_4.jpg_thumb.jpg minning_dump_truck_5.jpg_thumb.jpg minning_dump_truck_6.jpg_thumb.jpg minning_dump_truck_7.jpg_thumb.jpg 

Video:

Edited by eric trax

Reminds me a bit on this one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDFdLXPr9DUfZqjPfRam0

Very nice alternative :sweet:

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

That's actually been done:

I'd not say that it looks like the real Volvo hauler.

Great model Eric. Dimensions look just right. I particularly like the use of the bottomside of the Control+ Hub as grille.:thumbup:

Not only the model, but also the speed in which you built is remarkable... What a B-Model!

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Really? It looks remarkably close to me.

Well, Make is correct, everything else is off the proportions. Badly.

dHliRr2.jpg

7 minutes ago, M_longer said:

Well, Make is correct, everything else is off the proportions. Badly.

Side-by-side, there admittedly isn't much resemblance. The builder only had certain parts available, though, and considering how off-model the actual set is, it's arguably forgivable. :laugh:

I'd actually be intrigued to see whether or not you or Eric could build a more recognizable version of the R70D from 42114.

6 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'd actually be intrigued to see whether or not you or Eric could build a more recognizable version of the R70D from 42114.

It is possible, but the main goal was to have hauler in scale with 42100 :)

9 minutes ago, M_longer said:

It is possible, but the main goal was to have hauler in scale with 42100 :)

You are right; R70D tires (24-35) have 2175mm overall diameter which gives at this scale approximately 49.5 tire model...

Tire specifications are here

31 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

This model is not very badly built, but it could also be much better.

At the beginning I wanted to build a Volvo dumper but when the author published his model I gave it up so as not to duplicate the idea.

Finally, I will be able to start building the moto grader about which I wrote in the 42114 topic :D

Edited by eric trax

16 minutes ago, eric trax said:

Finally, I will be able to start building the moto grader about which I wrote in the 42114 topic :D

Ah yes, the legendary grader! Looking forward to that.

I also made 3 alternative of 42114 and planed 4th but this is awesome!

Espically use bottom of C+ hub as grill.

On 5/17/2021 at 12:18 AM, jorgeopesi said:

Very close to mine with 700 pieces more but made from a set bravo.

Yes. The shape of your dumper was very helpful when I was creating mine. I had to change many things due to the use of other panels, but it was easier for me. Thank you!

Edited by eric trax

Well built, good proportions. Most I like use of battery box.

7 hours ago, eric trax said:

Yes. The shape of your chest was very helpful when I was creating mine. I had to change many things due to the use of other panels, but it was easier for me. Thank you!

I appreciate it but it is more difficult what you have done, I am very frustrated when I have a limited list of parts.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:18 PM, jorgeopesi said:

Very close to mine with 700 pieces more but made from a set bravo.

gZBnfKc.png?1

how does this compare to Effermans dumptruck ?

18 hours ago, nugnug115 said:

Mine is smaller and pneumatic, the other functions are the same.

18 hours ago, nugnug115 said:

Effermans is some 13.5% bigger, and as @jorgeopesi said his model has pneumatics.

Finally gotten around to making the Liebherr and this, it’s really an excellent moc. I do have one question however, is it normal for the lateral tilt to constantly read 45 degrees in this moc? It responds to movement but defaults to 45, all the time. Tried recalibrating twice, no help. Can anyone advise? The vertical tilt seems to be reading normally.