polymaker

LDD Brick Editor Development

Hi folks!

As you may know I am the author of "Brick Studio", a tool for viewing and creating custom parts for LDD.

I've been working on this project for a few years now and I'm really happy that I was able to make something that works and is simple enough to be used by anyone.
I am amazed by the current community and what we managed to accomplish so far.

I'm starting this thread because my software has still some issues and is missing a lot of basic features and I really could use some help.
I don't expect anyone to help me code... even if my code was simple to understand (it is not) there are not a lot of you that have the knowledge to do so.

But I could really use your input. The main difficulty I have is myself.. I have a hard time taking decisions and I always prioritize new ideas instead of finishing what I already started...
For example, if I need to add a button/menu for a new functionality, I will fiddle around a long time just to find where I can place it or how to name it and I sometimes just abandon and move on without ever adding the functionality :cry_sad:

I'm also creating this thread to have general inputs on the software, like suggestions or issues/problems.

I'm currently reworking the core of the application so it can leave the "prototype" stage and I need you help for a few points:

• The name "Brick Studio" is something I came up almost only as a placeholder. I was not aware at the time that there is other existing application with similar names.
    Should I stick with this name or I should find something more proper?

• I am polishing the text and messages and also adding French and German translations and I need some help with Lego vocabulary:
    • How do you call "studs" in French and German (I'm French and I have no clue :wacko:)
    • Are there proper terms for male and female studs? I use top/bottom at some places but for me "bottom studs" means studs at the bottom of a part, not the female connection (I hope you understand what I mean).
    • Some data of the LDD model files (*.g) is related to the "tubes" under some bricks. Is "brick tube" a clear enough term? And how would it be translated to French/German?
    • I am never sure if I should use the term Brick or Part. Some Lego parts are not technically bricks...
    • Also how would you name theses 3D terms in French and German?:
      • Model and mesh. Maybe I don't use theses terms properly but to me mesh is more related to the 3D data (vertices, triangles, etc) and model is a more global term (a model can be composed of multiple meshes)
      • Bone. In 3D modeling, bones are used to define how a model is animated. In LDD it used for defining how a flexible part bends.
        All my 3D modeling experience is with English softwares. For me when I see "Os" (bone in French) it does not sound related to 3D modeling. For now I have used "Armature" (frame) in some places.

That's all I can think for now. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Edited by polymaker
typo

22 minutes ago, polymaker said:

The name "Brick Studio" is something I came up almost only as a placeholder. I was not aware at the time that there is other existing application with similar names.
Should I stick with this name or I should find something more proper?

I'm a fan of software names that just say what they do - could get more specific with it perhaps, honestly even just LDD Brick Editor works fine IMO.

23 minutes ago, polymaker said:

Are there proper terms for male and female studs? I use top/bottom at some places but for me "bottom studs" means studs at the bottom of a part, not the female connection (I hope you understand what I mean).

I've heard people use the term anti-studs before.

24 minutes ago, polymaker said:

Model and mesh. Maybe I don't use theses terms properly but to me mesh is more related to the 3D date (vertices, triangles, etc) and model is a more global term (a model can be composed of multiple meshes)

While I can't help with French/German, those terms are correct. :classic:

For French:

• model: modèle,
  • mesh: maillage,
  • bone: os if it’s about one bone, ossature if you’re talking of a group of bones, or armature is good too.

You way also keep mesh and bone: A lot of people are used to use the English terms because the available material is mainly in English, and also because they are lazy and using English words makes them sound “knowledgeable” (like any jargon).

Ok, based on reply here https://github.com/Polymaker/ldd-modder/issues/16 I understand that's much easier to import/export .dat in blender.
I was playing with blender and do I understand correctly that I should use Scale "0.04" in blender LDraw import plugin to have the part in proper scale in LDD Brick Editor?

One more question: why my part is so "blurry" in LDD and it doesn't have sharp edges like standar LDD parts?

https://prnt.sc/1asd7k6

And last question: how can I rotate camera?

Edited by UrSuS

59 minutes ago, UrSuS said:

Ok, based on reply here https://github.com/Polymaker/ldd-modder/issues/16 I understand that's much easier to import/export .dat in blender.
I was playing with blender and do I understand correctly that I should use Scale "0.04" in blender LDraw import plugin to have the part in proper scale in LDD Brick Editor?

One more question: why my part is so "blurry" in LDD and it doesn't have sharp edges like standar LDD parts?

https://prnt.sc/1asd7k6

And last question: how can I rotate camera?

Hello

After importing ldraw parts in blender, you should delete bevel modifier 

hE6e2vK.png
UIPrGAr.png

To rotate camera in BrickStudio, use wheel on your mouse

Edited by jester

26 minutes ago, jester said:

After importing ldraw parts in blender, you should delete bevel modifier

Thank you for helping me!
Yes, found it and removed. Also there was a checkbox in import that can be unchecked. But that didn't help.
After I unchecked "Smooth faces" checkbox result became better, but still edges are not "highlighted" like for original parts (bright red color on screenshot).

zjHFmvg.png

ybw9rS9.png
So scale should be set to 0.04?

19 minutes ago, UrSuS said:

So scale should be set to 0.04?

Import scale just 1 tot 1, export to *.obj at 0.5.

21 minutes ago, UrSuS said:

After I unchecked "Smooth faces" checkbox result became better, but still edges are not "highlighted" like for original parts (bright red color on screenshot).

In BrickStudio you need to click 'Calculate outlines'.

14 minutes ago, Stephan said:

Import scale just 1 tot 1, export to *.obj at 0.5.

Here is what I get when import scale is "1" and .obj scale is "0.5":
udWWHlp.png

When import scale is "0.1" and export is "0.5":

GQPAOjF.png

Also I've noticed that studs from LDraw model are different, as I understand for LDD I need to delete those and use studs from this LDD 3x3 plate?

K5S1abL.png

@jester Yes, that was clear to me. I just wanted to check what values are you using? For me for that particular part from LDraw import scale "0.04" seems to work fine. And I was exporting to .dae that seems doesn't have export scale. But also as I shown in screenshot above studs from LDraw model have different height, so they need to be replaced with LDD studs, correct?

1 hour ago, UrSuS said:

Yes, that was clear to me. I just wanted to check what values are you using?

Aah, I have to check my settings then because I only have to scale when exporting.

1 hour ago, UrSuS said:

Still haven't got the response in scale settings, but I was able to create this part.

My LDraw import scale is 0.08 and my export to obj scale is 0.5. That should do the trick.
I added the copyright information and included the part in the coming update. Part is good!

Edited by Stephan

Hello, I have tried many computers, win7 or win10, most of them can't run, a warning window pops up, and the latest version of your v1.0.7.0 is used.(I don't know English very well, this is the Google translation, probably the meaning should be correct)

bug.png

Unrelated to the problem above, I would like an option to turn stud culling on or off, depending on the connection.

Is this software dead or what??? I see last post is from summer of 2022. I have downloaded Brick Studio Release v1.0.6.2 from the Github but it crashes without warning like 2 seconds after opening - why? This way it is useless on W10 x64. Isn't there some newer stable version?

EDIT:

Seems I found reason: one has to run this software as administrator, then it doesn't crash - you'd state this somewhere for all those having this kind of problem.

As for the name "LDD G CREATOR" would be the best name, as your actual one is in "conflict" with the Bricklink's Brick Studio. Or "LDD G-Cri8||" (the last sign is programmatical sign for "or" but you sure know as a programmer yourself)

As for the interface: it looks too clogged and it is quite hard to orient there, so I would suggest something like this - rather small but important better GUI "differentiating" (for instance physics section is the least important of those 3 sections - definitely less than boundings, thus logically it should/could be the last - one can omit it from the xml and the brick will work anyway in most cases):

a.jpg.266c8fecb1195eb09e252caa7cc98bfe.jpg

Also: how in the world one creates collision box(es) in there? I cannot see any tool for that, or is it hidden somewhere? The same goes for the brick connections: I see tab for that but it is grayed and I cannot seem to find a way how to enable it. Or is there already some other more mature version of this software somewhere?

EDIT:

Ah, those are REALLY HIDDEN AS RMB CLICK(S) in/on the right side panel...why, why, why? So many "illogicality" (could not find better word, messiness maybe would be better term?) in otherwise good tool - you really do need someone for this kind of stuff, I agree with you!

I would say collision section needs its own separate panel, like the one on the left, or new section in the left panel called COLLISIONS - definitely! Or even better as to not break the GUI logic: add BUTTONS for adding collisions to the right panel!

Also as for the logicality: when one RMB clicks on the elements in the right panel the context menu should correspond only to the section one clicked on, that is if I click RMB on Surfaces only add surface option should appear, not everything. Everything should appear if one clicks on the empty section in the panel, right?

Another thing: create outline/remove outline should be grayed out if there is no brick part yet, besides they seem to not work for hi res meshes or at least I did not understood how to generate those edges for LDD brick.

I see there are some predefined keyboard shortcuts, but can we somehow add out own? For example I find it bothering constantly going to Edit > Import 3D model, why not add some shortcut, like CTRL+I?

Problems/Bugs:

- when you save project - .lpp file - and let Windows associate it with your software. upon dbl clicking it and opening it in LDD Brick Studio the project is empty.

- when you click Generate Outlines those are not generated

Suggestrion:

You could also provide option to save app settings locally to its main folder instead of the user folder somewhere in the system. I found out you app is totally PORTABLE except the settings being saved as I described previously instead of the local app folder, let's say in for of ini file - that'd be great (one could run it from the USB anywhere then).

Edited by macouso

It is actually really easy to work with if you try.

6 hours ago, macouso said:

Is this software dead or what??

Brick Editor is not dead,  there is just very limited need to work on it since it functions perfectly for what it was designed for. Next to that the creator has other priorities in life at this moment. But he is aware that some improvements could be made. 

Isn't there some newer stable version?

I have been using the latest versions for months now,  without problems. And don't need to run it as Administrator. 

As for the name

Actually "LDD Brick Studio" is a working title since it is just called Brick Editor. BrickLink's Studio started as Stud.io and only changed its name to Studio after Brick Editor's first release. But since the two operate on different use cases both can co-exist. 

it looks too clogged

Well, the interface serves its functions. Important things are clear and boundaries are auto-generated. And connections are added in the same way as collision boxes. Once you get used to it, it is actually really easy and handy. And another panel would be a waste of space. 

Edited by Stephan

besides they seem to not work for hi res

LDD has a hard time anyway to deal with high-res meshes.  Brick Editor can work with them, but it's not optimised for large-polygon meshes. Outline generation can take a long time (hours).

7 hours ago, macouso said:

when you click Generate Outlines those are not generated

This is due to the way outlines are generated in LDD. You need to separate the mesh first and the 8 out of 10 times outline generation works good enough if your mesh is good. 

[moderator(s) can delete this post as I re-asked it in a proper post now - thanks]

Edited by macouso