Sign in to follow this  
eldiano

[MOD] 2015’s Soldier’s Fort Modular

15 minutes ago, jan kusters said:

I think it is a bit of an internet problem; one sees all those fantastic builds, and 'I want that!. And That! And that should be in my build too...' It makes it harder to stay close to what you really want.

So true, it's part of the reason I just buy complete sets, I think if I go bricklink / bricks and pieces for MOCs it'll never end. (doesn't mean it's a wrong strategy, just depends a lot of what one's goals are) 

Alternate builds, or combined builds are some of my favorite MOCs as those seem somewhat attainable, and also give inspiration to actually start moccing.

Sadly those Pirates / Soldiers sets retired very fast in 2016 (when I came back to LEGO) so I never got those, but I don't really buy retired sets or used sets either, I tend to move forward and work with that.

But this gives some inspiration for making my own fort probably soon enough, likely will start out with the parts from the Barracuda Bay island and Pirate Rollercoaster, I still hope for some set with imperial/armada figs soon though, cant have pirates without fort or opponent faction to plunder.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 6/20/2021 at 6:57 AM, jan kusters said:

Ha, getting better with every rebuild!

I like the now fully asymmetrical shape of it all.

I recognize the 'aiming for grandiose while wanting something simple' problem! I also always start out way too ambitious, and gradually have to tone things down in several rebuilds.

I think it is a bit of an internet problem; one sees all those fantastic builds, and 'I want that!. And That! And that should be in my build too...' It makes it harder to stay close to what you really want.

By now my own little fortress is taking shape as well, I should make a post about it too!

It is an internet problem, I am aware of the IDEAS submitted Imperial fortress on here, at first I was thinking how did they do it?  So perfect, magnificent and spectacular, I wanted something smaller to fit the other sits but then again it’s always the problem of not having enough bricks and I just gave up because I already spent a fortune on my first order, not sure on what I wanted to do.  

You should make a post about it, if it wasn’t for this post i wouldn’t have realized that at the end of the day, all I wanted was to create something from scratch that honors the original design and playability of the first soldier’s fort. This would had ran me close to 30-40 in pieces versus the 250usd I paid for the entire lots and bricks I wanted to accomplish.  

On 6/20/2021 at 7:03 AM, TeriXeri said:

So true, it's part of the reason I just buy complete sets, I think if I go bricklink / bricks and pieces for MOCs it'll never end. (doesn't mean it's a wrong strategy, just depends a lot of what one's goals are) 

Alternate builds, or combined builds are some of my favorite MOCs as those seem somewhat attainable, and also give inspiration to actually start moccing.

Sadly those Pirates / Soldiers sets retired very fast in 2016 (when I came back to LEGO) so I never got those, but I don't really buy retired sets or used sets either, I tend to move forward and work with that.

But this gives some inspiration for making my own fort probably soon enough, likely will start out with the parts from the Barracuda Bay island and Pirate Rollercoaster, I still hope for some set with imperial/armada figs soon though, cant have pirates without fort or opponent faction to plunder.

Do what I did, I study the manuals and then try to order double or triple the amount of bricks the set requires originally and you will come up with something to your liking I think.  I could had saved money if I knew what I was building exactly but you don’t know until you try building bricks and see where it goes from there.