Sign in to follow this  
eldiano

[MOD] 2015’s Soldier’s Fort Modular

I always felt underwhelmed combining both sets of 2015 Pirates wave, I ordered triple the amount of bricks in both sets and came up with this extended and longer fort.  I tried keeping it in design as both Lego made sets but at the end of the day we have a prison and a treasure room.  I only managed to assemble the walls and exterior but I need to furnish the interior for more day to day Imperial Activities, at first I only made 2 towers but felt the walkway was just empty so I added a third tower in the middle.  Tell me what ya’ll think, In my honest opinion the Pirates will have a hard time getting the treasure and saving their pirates going forward.  

I make this with the intention of my kids playing it and portable so they can take it anywhere, basically I try to mimic how their sets would have looked like.  

I like making things as symmetrical as possible 

PS93e3C.jpg

qvQR7ek.jpg

iFOWKWx.jpg

AvvhWb2.jpg

e1uLOH1.jpg

Ou2NaCn.jpg

3PKHG6j.jpg

G4L2XjA.jpg

NfAyGTb.jpg

I5CmkOA.jpg

P6LESd5.jpg

Different layouts:

8VSBNWi.jpg

4X1iCAF.jpg

HRsDIR6.jpg

F86f1G7.jpg

73KfVx4.jpg

zjtrSxb.jpg

Nz6sFcD.jpg

AspIeTi.jpg

The soldiers fort! Let me know what I could improve upon and what would work best with this set! Thank you so much for time and patience!!

Oh no! I don't think that Redbeard knows what he's rowing into. :pir-oh:

Clearly Lego should've made more of the fort sections in 2015 but didn't. Well, that's why we have you to improve upon lack of sturdy defences. Good job. :thumbup:

4 hours ago, eldiano said:

I always felt underwhelmed combining both sets of 2015 Pirates wave.

Aye, I felt underwhelmed by the soldier sets of 2015... but combining them doesn't help that much either.

Soldier's Outpost looks too squat and chunky, while Soldier's Fort looks too flimsy.

Not that Saber Island was a sturdier structure, it just had a better arrangement of elements... everything looks more "organised".

The base plate and palm tree also contributes to rounding out the design and makes the overall set look more substantial.

image.png

9 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Oh no! I don't think that Redbeard knows what he's rowing into. :pir-oh:

Clearly Lego should've made more of the fort sections in 2015 but didn't. Well, that's why we have you to improve upon lack of sturdy defences. Good job. :thumbup:

Redbeard was determined to get the treasure!!! Hahaha You are right they needed more defences all that treasure could call out to more pirates ready to plunder the imperial treasury! 

6 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Aye, I felt underwhelmed by the soldier sets of 2015... but combining them doesn't help that much either.

Soldier's Outpost looks too squat and chunky, while Soldier's Fort looks too flimsy.

Not that Saber Island was a sturdier structure, it just had a better arrangement of elements... everything looks more "organised".

The base plate and palm tree also contributes to rounding out the design and makes the overall set look more substantial.

image.png

We really don’t know how good we had it back then!!! I kinda of liked the soldier’s outpost, it might be chubby but that tower design stuck with me I guess, it’s a bricked out red and white design similar to the old sets but with a bigger window!  I guess I used that inspiration for the rest of the MOD, the Imperial guards needed a hang out since there’s too many of them haha

12 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

I keep trying to tell my son that when it comes to LEGO (most especially LEGO Pirates, Space, and Castle), older is almost always better... but he thinks I'm crazy. :pir_tong2:

9 hours ago, PxChris said:

I keep trying to tell my son that when it comes to LEGO (most especially LEGO Pirates, Space, and Castle), older is almost always better... but he thinks I'm crazy. 

Well, let's not argue with him. :pir-tongue:

How old is he?

I think your extended fortress set looks very impressive, it would make a pretty great background for a bit of sea with some ships anchored.

They only thing slightly bothering me is the repetitiveness of the towers; They are so very much the same. Playing a bit with the placement of the dark red 'brick-parts' might overcome that.

1 hour ago, jan kusters said:

I think your extended fortress set looks very impressive, it would make a pretty great background for a bit of sea with some ships anchored.

They only thing slightly bothering me is the repetitiveness of the towers; They are so very much the same. Playing a bit with the placement of the dark red 'brick-parts' might overcome that.

I think I agree on that, or instead of colours I would change the very symetrical "main building" in a way that its more asymmetrical. Otherwise good use of the parts which came with that set wave!

On 5/14/2021 at 10:27 PM, Mister Phes said:

Well, let's not argue with him. :pir-tongue:

How old is he?

17! :monkey:

4 minutes ago, PxChris said:

17!!! I thought you'd say 7! :pir-oh3:

By age 17 he should have had the epiphany classic themes are best! 

4 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

17!!! I thought you'd say 7! :pir-oh3:

By age 17 he should have had the epiphany classic themes are best! 

One would think... especially with me as a dad.

But, sometimes children just want to be rebellious! :pir-laugh:

5 hours ago, PxChris said:

54 minutes ago, PxChris said:

One would think... especially with me as a dad.

But, sometimes children just want to be rebellious! :pir-laugh:

Don't worry... it's the rebellious phase.

By the time he's 25, he'll see "The Light" and understand the beauty of the older sets.

On 5/17/2021 at 4:16 PM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Don't worry... it's the rebellious phase.

By the time he's 25, he'll see "The Light" and understand the beauty of the older sets.

I saw the light when I was 12 lolol.  Looking back at some old catalogs is astonishing how many smaller sets I had but back then they felt huge.  

I wish Lego would re issue older sets the way they are not do remakes or reimagined versions for once, they could literally make bank on the older sets granted some molds don’t exist but my understanding is they literally have a museum and store every single LEGO set ever made so was the problem lolol Castle, Pirates and Space please!  

On 5/19/2021 at 4:30 AM, eldiano said:

Looking back at some old catalogs is astonishing how many smaller sets I had but back then they felt huge.  

I feel exactly the same!

On 5/19/2021 at 4:30 AM, eldiano said:

I wish Lego would re issue older sets the way they are not do remakes or reimagined versions for once, they could literally make bank on the older sets granted some molds don’t exist but my understanding is they literally have a museum and store every single LEGO set ever made so was the problem lolol Castle, Pirates and Space please!  

That would be awesome!

For most parts that molds do not exist, they can be easily replaced by combination of existing bricks.

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

On 5/16/2021 at 10:18 AM, jan kusters said:

Thank you so much, since I have no original plans I will change the towers completely, I just was not sure what I wanted to do other than to extend the pier with a mini fort or base, now that you mention it they do look repetitive, now I understand why both original sets have different styles!!  

On 5/16/2021 at 12:05 PM, Stoertebricker said:

I think I agree on that, or instead of colours I would change the very symetrical "main building" in a way that its more asymmetrical. Otherwise good use of the parts which came with that set wave!

Thank you! I used Pick and brick and went to town with their brick selection to make something out of both sets!!! 

On 5/19/2021 at 6:42 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

I feel exactly the same!

That would be awesome!

For most the parts that molds do not exist, they can be easily replaced by combination of existing bricks.

I feel that all they need to do is open the sets in their museum and bam they can create molds all of a sudden hahaha 

On 5/28/2021 at 10:50 PM, IronMarshal1805 said:

Incredible! Really clever use of the 2015 Imperial sets.

Thank you so much!!! It’s my only motivation considering is really the latest we have gotten in regards to anything Imperial since 2015!!! It was the only reason I did it, like Stoertebricker pointed, after doing more research and studying up imperial manuals going back to the 1990’s I never realized that lego sets were never Symmetrical, they always went for an Asymmetrical design so now I am getting more ideas to change up the second floor or divvy up the main building for storage.

I placed a Lego Bricks and PIeces order for interior decoration mainly inspired by the Lego Kingdoms Joust and sets on what would be perfect for the weapons storage and rooms!!! 

On 5/16/2021 at 12:05 PM, Stoertebricker said:

I redesigned the main build, do you think this is a better or worse improvement?

I tried making one room larger and then realized the second floor would look unbalanced so I made it a hang out for the imperial army

So far I have a “cathedral” inspired room for letters

Mini Armory with supplies room

Governors room

Imperial hangout

I beat myself down a lot and always seek improvement but I personally feel the second floor roof is not working, don’t know if it’s too big or if I should just shrink the room completely and change the roof:

Please Help:

bgIxSxO.jpg

px89COT.jpg

Imperial armory

teO613v.jpg
OYFxgpF.jpg

Governors office

Zse1Qy8.jpg
q26Rnxb.jpg

Signal room

09YSEku.jpg

Rec area

OdIr4S3.jpg
5mzCQCx.jpg

Orange beard still has no idea what he was rowing into haha 😢

I think the redesigned main building looks more interesting than the original. I like the different rooms a lot!

17 hours ago, jan kusters said:

I think the redesigned main building looks more interesting than the original. I like the different rooms a lot!

Thank you so much!  I’m beginning to love it now!! I see everything in an asymmetrical type of way with lego sets I have never noticed before because of that! 

Nice interior designs there, Eldiano.
At this rate, you need to make it so the floors can be separated, like with the modulars.

On 6/11/2021 at 5:07 PM, GeoBrick said:

Nice interior designs there, Eldiano.
At this rate, you need to make it so the floors can be separated, like with the modulars.

I will take inspiration from the Harry Potter designs and make this happen, thank you and I will, you are right it was hard to re arrange some pieces already haha

On 6/10/2021 at 3:36 PM, jan kusters said:

Check this out, i didn’t like that build but I made another one:

vDDJwMy.jpg

Tried making the bottom stick out more and didn’t like that build because it was unstable and broke off easily, I was making things too complex so I settled for this final design and I like it, simple and yet to the point, I was aiming for something grandiose when I realized I wanted simplicity.

This the entire MOD that will fit in with 70412 and 70410, with this defense the pirates stood no chance!!! Weapon racks everywhere, a planning room for the governor and a lookout meant for cannon defenses. 

ajhJH2C.jpg

GfmteqK.jpg

N34oMB1.jpg

The MOD in it’s entirety!

iFP9nIr.jpg

Ha, getting better with every rebuild!

I like the now fully asymmetrical shape of it all.

I recognize the 'aiming for grandiose while wanting something simple' problem! I also always start out way too ambitious, and gradually have to tone things down in several rebuilds.

I think it is a bit of an internet problem; one sees all those fantastic builds, and 'I want that!. And That! And that should be in my build too...' It makes it harder to stay close to what you really want.

By now my own little fortress is taking shape as well, I should make a post about it too!