Lego David

What is Your Dream LEGO Set?

9 hours ago, eldiano said:

You are making me hope LEGO smartens up and does a POTC saga, now I want another Black Pearl and maybe with better building techniques as seen in the 21322.  I just watched the first pirates of the Caribbean and currently playing TT games Lego POTC game haha

Ah yes, Lego POTC video game - the first ever video game I completed 100%. Brings back certain amount of nostalgia, though it wasn't that long ago.

8480. Technical marvel of its time, and still stands up fully to the current standards of functionality and complexity. It was also great on looks, even if it wasn't a closed design like today's Technic sets. Too bad I was never able to get it when if was available, and today those sets cost too much and might not be even be in very good condition...

Growing up I was reasonably lucky in that I got a lot of the sets I wanted as a kid, and many of the ones I didn't have lost a bit of their luster with age. So there's only a few that come to mind that I regret missing out on, some of which I never really had a chance at at all.

In terms of retail sets, I do sort of regret not picking up The Joker Manor. I'm not normally a Super Heroes collector but I really enjoyed The Lego Batman Movie, and picked up a decent number of the sets (including both CMF series) since to me, the original takes on the heroes and villains in that movie embodied the creative spirit of Lego moreso than any one costume or variant pulled from other non-Lego movies and comics. But the Lego Ninjago Movie sets were higher on my list of priorities as a Ninjago fan, and I wrongly assumed that as a D2C set the Joker Manor set would be available for longer than it actually ended up lasting. Nowadays it goes for around twice its already substantial retail price, so I might never be able to fill that hole in my collection.

Getting into way more exclusive territory, I was lucky enough to go on the Lego Inside Tour in 2015, and I don't regret it for a minute (there may not have ever been a better time to do so as a Bionicle fan than the year the theme was brought back and I got to talk with many of the designers one-on-one). But the Inside Tour exclusive set I got that year, H.C. Andersen't Clumsy Hans, was one I had no close emotional connection to as a non-Dane who didn't grow up with that particular folktale. I would have much preferred the following year's exclusive, LEGO Truck Show, since as an American Lego fan in the '90s I was not only familiar with that truck show but actually got to visit it as a young child at one of the stops! Sadly, the price for an Inside Tour set like this on the aftermarket is astronomical, but as somebody who went on the tour I do understand that—I reckon few of the attendees would be willing to part with something like that, not just because of the high value of the set on the aftermarket but also the sentimental value of it as a keepsake of such a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Edited by Lyichir