Lego David

What is Your Dream LEGO Set?

We all have our own sets we dream of having, but we know we'll likely never own them because of how expensive they have gotten over the years. What are your own "Dream" LEGO sets? It can be any retired sets that either are incredibly hard to find, or the second hand value was grown so much that they are virtually unobtainable. 

For example, my personal dream set would probably be the Fantasy Castle Giant Chess set, which now currently can go for upwards of 800$. 

lego castle chess set cheap online

Oh boy, for me it's got to be 4183 Black Pearl. I really wanted it when it came out, ever since it was my favourite ship at that time in general (after watching POTC movies) and a Lego set of my favourite ship of all time is the dream. Words cannot express how much I regret not getting that set. For years I've been checking list of sets I wanted as a kid and hunting them down, however this is such set that I'm not ready to pay for 600 euros. I've bought few sets that I thought could replace it (Pirates of Barraccuda Bay) but in time realized that no set can do such things. But one day, one day I will build a Black Pearl MOC...

4184-1.jpg?201107170505

I would want to get the Santa Fe Super Chief, multiple cars I and II sets, BNSF Santa Fe, and multiple TTX double-stack cars, all brand new in the box.

Although I listed multiple sets, they would all be combined to make the ultimate LEGO trains.

Might not be the biggest set nowadays, but back then this always impressed me.

I always loved this faction, and my favorite shield emblem by far.

I had 3 other Royal Knights sets but not the big Castle or Carriage.

Overall it was a great year back in 1995, a great selection of 5 sets, 3 Castles (small/medium/large) a 2 horse Carriage with 3 soldiers + King, and King+horse by himself. + Chrome parts.

9 figures, 3 horses, ghost, skeleton, and extra shields/weapons on the walls, and while a lot of the mass is on a raised baseplate, its not as juniors as the year 2000 designs.

6090-1.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

In 1988 it was 8865 Test Car. I was starting my family, so no money went to Lego. I certainly wasn't going to buy "toys" for me. I eventually bought the parts to make it in the nineties.

Then, in 1994 it was the 8880 Super Car. Ooh!, I wanted that one, so many cool new parts. In the nineties, I didn't know I was an AFOL. I thought I was the only foolish adult that wanted Legos!!! Two years ago, I could have bought it for $100 but no longer wanted studded Technic.

Now, I have a nice collection of Technic Lego. And lately, it's roller coasters.

Another one of my dream sets is one that isn't a particularly good set, but comes with a incredibly desirable piece that I really want. 8998 Toa Mata Nui comes with the exclusive Pearl Gold Edition of the Mask of Life, which that piece alone can go for upwards of 150$, which is half of the full set's current value of about 300$:

8998-1.png60936.jpg?1

A mint in box Galaxy Explorer/Space Cruiser 928/497.

I used to have this set and after several happy years it was eventually donated to a family that couldn’t afford LEGO.

928-1.jpg?200706300823

@Lego David, I did give serious consideration to getting the giant, fantasy Chess set when it was released but it was too expensive even then.

Edited by AmperZand

On 5/13/2021 at 12:29 PM, Jack Sassy said:

But one day, one day I will build a Black Pearl MOC...

I know exactly what you are talking about. Exactly. Was the same here. For more than 30 years.

OK, this will get me in trouble, but >€/$600 for this set is >equally immoral<. Totally. And this craziness - these are ABS bricks after all, and there is nothing special about them - should you not be interested in the minifigs (I am not, zero) - dragged me to the dark side. I know: You'll never ever. However: Why not trying it out? <$/€ 40 and you have a Pearl. She is wonderful. I am happy to share a photograph of here (modified with LEGO bricks) showing here sailing along ... TLG makes this set anymore, since ages. And they never will "as some golden moulds, decorated with a golden tooth of Captain Jack Sparrows are gone forever". Man. And when you feel so bad, trash her. It was a lot of money, $/€40, but then you know for sure. 

Did it only twice in my life; the Flying Dutchman simply dwarfs everything TLG ever made, ship-wise, and she sits next to the Pearl. And to TLGs Silent Mary. They are true Beauties.

Oh well, maybe I'll be in deep trouble now. By one thing is for sure: Not one second I'll regret what I did.

All the best,
Thorsten   

Sorry, back on OP topic:

The entire 12V train line. Regardless which set: This was (and still is) out of this world. The love and compassion put into this line of sets/world is - for me - the ultimate incarnation of LEGO. 

Best,
Thorsten

8 hours ago, Toastie said:

should you not be interested in the minifigs

I get the feeling that the minifigures are the real reason why The Black Pearl became so expansive in the first place. The Davy Jones minifigure alone can go for upwards of 50$.

Edited by Lego David

11 hours ago, Toastie said:

OK, this will get me in trouble, but >€/$600 for this set is >equally immoral<. Totally. And this craziness - these are ABS bricks after all, and there is nothing special about them - should you not be interested in the minifigs (I am not, zero) - dragged me to the dark side. I know: You'll never ever. However: Why not trying it out? <$/€ 40 and you have a Pearl. She is wonderful. I am happy to share a photograph of here (modified with LEGO bricks) showing here sailing along ... TLG makes this set anymore, since ages. And they never will "as some golden moulds, decorated with a golden tooth of Captain Jack Sparrows are gone forever". Man. And when you feel so bad, trash her. It was a lot of money, $/€40, but then you know for sure. 

You'll be pleased to know that I begun working on the MOC today (I just couldn't resist really), though I'm going to go bit of a different road - hull is going to be brick built (I'm not ready to spend 100 euros on 6 casual hull pieces and those two bows) so surely it's going to take me some time to build a vessel for my three Jacks (as they are already threatening me to take away my Lego bottle collection, dearest thing I have). I might end up posting finished product on Pirate MOCs, though I might get some influence from other designs... :wink:

11 hours ago, Toastie said:

Oh well, maybe I'll be in deep trouble now. By one thing is for sure: Not one second I'll regret what I did.

Don't worry, you didn't pay the worst price to have the Pearl, remember what Jack did to get her out of the depths of the sea. :grin:

My dream Lego set would probably be the 5003480  Lego Mindstorms Education EV3 Homeschool Combo Pack.640x640.jpeg

11 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

I might end up posting finished product on Pirate MOCs, though I might get some influence from other designs...

Oh, please let me know, when you do so! :pir-love::pir-huzzah2:

This will be very interesting. Good luck for your work and efforts!

All the best
Thorsten

45 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Oh, please let me know, when you do so! :pir-love::pir-huzzah2:

This will be very interesting. Good luck for your work and efforts!

All the best
Thorsten

Thank you! This'll take some time, just like any adventure. :sweet:

Harry Potter Hogwarts castle. Actually every harry potter lego set. Then I can have a lego fantasy room. I love the architecture Legos too!

The top of my list is probably 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon. I've been wanting it since I first saw it in LEGO Magazines as a kid. Aside from that? The remainder of the Mars Mission and Aqua Raiders I never got, some of the other UCS sets like the Imperial Shuttle (I'm a sucker for anything minifigure scaled), 8366 Supersonic RC, and 8275 Motorized Bulldozer. Not to mention LotR and Castle! I wish I had the Fantasy era and Knight's Kingdom sets. Especially the Vikings sets. For lack of space or money, I've focused mainly on collecting Bionicle the last few years though I really want all of those.

On 5/13/2021 at 5:29 AM, Jack Sassy said:

Oh boy, for me it's got to be 4183 Black Pearl. I really wanted it when it came out, ever since it was my favourite ship at that time in general (after watching POTC movies) and a Lego set of my favourite ship of all time is the dream. Words cannot express how much I regret not getting that set. For years I've been checking list of sets I wanted as a kid and hunting them down, however this is such set that I'm not ready to pay for 600 euros. I've bought few sets that I thought could replace it (Pirates of Barraccuda Bay) but in time realized that no set can do such things. But one day, one day I will build a Black Pearl MOC...

4184-1.jpg?201107170505

😭 My biggest regret is underselling this set at the time, now I see the value of the ship and the Queen Anne’s Revenge pre owned and omggggg I’m pissed at my self for doing so, someone should had talked me out of doing it in the first place.

It was a fun set, but the QAR was the best!!! Quite frankly I’m hoping with an upcoming POTC we can get our wish and have the TLG release a new version of the Black Pearl given how it was restored after Dead men tell no tales to be honest so you must understand my disappointment whenever all we got from that movie was just the Silent Mary…

With that said though also regret not getting the entire POTC line up when I had the chance because I remember seeing them on the clearance aisles But I was like nawww I’m good I’ll get them later, little did I know that Lego Pricing on retired sets doubled if not triple afterwards hehehe.

Back on topic I wish I can another shot at the original Black Seas barracuda, like I’ve been preaching up and down on these forums Lego would make bank re issuing older sets as they were considering how they have backups of them in their libraries… a feat not every toy maker or company does but who am I to complain to

Hmm...great question!  There's a number of sets from the 80s/90s that I look at and say "Wow, I'd really like one of those" but I think I can live without them, unless I would be able to somehow get one for an amazing deal.  A couple of sets spring to mind that I'd consider a "dream" set.

10123 Cloud City is probably my most unobtainable, since I'd want a new copy and, well, the price is only going up.  I did see a used copy for like $650 a month or two ago and feel like I may have missed on an opportunity there, but that's still a lot of money for one set.  Cloud City is my favorite scene/location in SW, and I do have the 2018 MBS set, which I love, but there's a certain allure to the original.

As far as "realistic" ones, I'd go with the 6209 Slave I from 2006, or maybe 6210 Jabba's Sail Barge, also from 2006.  Those may seem like odd choices, but I've wanted those essentially since they came out.  I was fairly young when they did, this being an era when Lego brand stores were much less common, and I remember excitedly saving up enough money for one of them (I still wasn't sure which one, I just knew I would be buying a $50 Star Wars set) before a family trip to a city that would have a Lego store.  Come to find out, by this point, it was mid-2007, and they'd already retired.  I ended up buying 7661, the Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive Ring (let me tell you, the hyperdrive ring in that set was not fun to put together for young me), which I remember being moderately excited about, but I really was wanting a set with Boba Fett.  I did eventually manage to find an original Boba Fett figure when I got 7144 (the first Slave I) for an extremely amazing deal, but 6209 still eludes me.  

1 hour ago, eldiano said:

It was a fun set, but the QAR was the best!!! Quite frankly I’m hoping with an upcoming POTC we can get our wish and have the TLG release a new version of the Black Pearl given how it was restored after Dead men tell no tales to be honest so you must understand my disappointment whenever all we got from that movie was just the Silent Mary…

Well, I'm affraid that Lego is going to do same with next POTC movie as they did with DMTNT. Also my concern is regarding Indiana Jones 5 movies sets but that's a topic for another sub-forum.

29 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Well, I'm affraid that Lego is going to do same with next POTC movie as they did with DMTNT. Also my concern is regarding Indiana Jones 5 movies sets but that's a topic for another sub-forum.

We know they can do it a POTC Saga collection if they deemed so, same thing with Indiana Jones I have a feeling they completely might take advantage of possibly the last movie in the series just for that reason to be honest!!! 

With that said though my Dream would be to own at least another copy of a Black Seas barracuda just because my original was left in another continent and had no way of thinking it would be big back in those days

18 minutes ago, eldiano said:

With that said though my Dream would be to own at least another copy of a Black Seas barracuda just because my original was left in another continent and had no way of thinking it would be big back in those days

You could try building her from BL orders, no? I think that there weren't any exclusives to the set, though piecing it together through orders isn't as fun as building a sealed set...

8 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Also my concern is regarding Indiana Jones 5 movies sets but that's a topic for another sub-forum.

I feel like Indy is more likely to get an actual line, as long as they actually do make sets.  I'm not a PoTC fan (only seen part of one film) so I can't say for sure about what's viable from sets for those films versus Indy, but I feel like there's nothing from Indy that's really viable as a large D2C, whereas a large pirate ship makes sense, even if it's unfortunate that there weren't traditional sets in addition.  Plus, there's still some scenes from the original 3 films that hadn't been covered yet, or need a remake, though KoTC got most of the sets it could've gotten (including Peril in Peru, which I'm pretty sure wasn't even in the movie), as that was kind of the main focus of the wave. 

Another problem that PoTC might have is that Lego likes to do a lot of vehicle based sets, and outside of large ships and maybe some smaller boats, there's not much there for PoTC - Indy's got a motorcycle chase, plane chase, two truck chases, at least two car chases, tank chase, minecart chase, boat chase, train chase, Indiana Jones being chased by a boulder and/or hostiles (:laugh:) and probably a few other instances of people being chased that I can't remember.

5 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Another problem that PoTC might have is that Lego likes to do a lot of vehicle based sets, and outside of large ships and maybe some smaller boats, there's not much there for PoTC - Indy's got a motorcycle chase, plane chase, two truck chases, at least two car chases, tank chase, minecart chase, boat chase, train chase, Indiana Jones being chased by a boulder and/or hostiles (:laugh:) and probably a few other instances of people being chased that I can't remember.

True enough. I do hope we get some builds apart from vehicles. They're nice, just I might have a bit too many of them. :grin:

20 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

True enough. I do hope we get some builds apart from vehicles. They're nice, just I might have a bit too many of them. :grin:

You are making me hope LEGO smartens up and does a POTC saga, now I want another Black Pearl and maybe with better building techniques as seen in the 21322.  I just watched the first pirates of the Caribbean and currently playing TT games Lego POTC game haha

I don't have one, not old enough :P

Maybe the original Mindstorms RCX, although that's not really a set and more a box of building parts. I built little robots with a friend in a summer camp back when NXT 1.0 was already out so RCX was already out of date and probably cheap (not that RCX sets are particularly expensive yet - a lot of minifigs cost more than the RCX brick itself)