Sign in to follow this  
Supersick_

[MOC] "Barracuda Brig" - 18-Gun Sloop

Word in the wind is that Captain Redbeard has scaled back his plundering to focus on life at Barracuda Bay... yet here be a newly commissioned coastal vessel for defense and raiding. 

She's an 18-gun flush-deck brig-sloop carrying 14 large carronades on broadside, 2 stern carronades and 2 long gun bow chasers. She's built to Theme-scale with fast lines and shallow draft, making her an ideal raider. Befitting her namesake, she uses speed and agility to trap prey close to shore and then slips away between reef and shoal, her holds full of provisions or treasure.

Her sails are shared with my Fer Maiden design (except she's brig-rigged not a ship-rig so she does not have a mizzenmast).

Features: a working capstan to weigh anchor, standing and running rigging with yards that rotate to accurately portray various sailing profiles, removable grates in the hatches for loading cargo or crew*

*There is minimal height below deck due to the prefab hull so she does not have a modeled crew quarters. 

Now go find some prey, me fellow scoundrels, and lay waste to anyone who tries to stop you.

1280x960.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

I've been working on this one for what feels like AGES. I couldn't decide on what type of brig to build. I first wanted to do an Imperial brig but in the end I thought I'd give Redbeard a reinterpreted BSB flush-deck brig sloop armed to the absolute teeth. I figure this suits his lifestyle at Barracuda Bay - needing something that can sail quickly into shallow waters with a decent hold size.

As for techniques this is very much in line with my design for the Fer Maiden frigate, just scaled for a brig. A workhorse sloop of war, devoid of the fanciful carvings and figureheads but still customized and special enough for a veteran sea dog like Redbeard. In these local waters around the Bay, he traded lush quarters and privacy for more guns and a life with the crew below deck. 

Originally I had a few versions with aft quarter galleries, cabins, etc. and like any good brig-sloop class, there will be different versions built.

Find the instructions and .io model on Rebrickable here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-76499/supersick_/barracuda-brig/#details

Edited by Supersick_

So, this is what happens when Redbeard loses his beloved Barracuda for the SECOND time. :pir-grin: 

Good job on the model, it definitely is a worthy vessel for Captain Roger. I especially like how you integrated the flag on the jib sail rope, quite accurate to such ship.

Well, as Brickholomew Roberts once said - ''A merry ship and a short one''. Good job! :pir-thumb:

17 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

So, this is what happens when Redbeard loses his beloved Barracuda for the SECOND time. :pir-grin: 

Good job on the model, it definitely is a worthy vessel for Captain Roger. I especially like how you integrated the flag on the jib sail rope, quite accurate to such ship.

Well, as Brickholomew Roberts once said - ''A merry ship and a short one''. Good job! :pir-thumb:

Haha, Redbeard must surely be "Commodore" by now with how many Barracudas he has. :pir-huzzah2:

11 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Great idea the pedestal ! and really well executed

Cheers! It's definitely nice to have options for both play and display.

Very nice brig. I like your brig and the frigate.:pir-huzzah2:

Supersick_ is back! And this time we're not going to pretend this is an upcoming official LEGO release.

Once again another superb build - we've already got a blog post in the pipeline. :pir-huzzah2:

Nice build again! Somehow I am not sure about the deck, it feels a bit deep inside or its missing a second deck on top the cannon line for the pirates to run on :pir-murder: but probably your last build is burned into my mind... so, probably I am just confused that there is just another build like it :pir-huzzah1:

On 5/14/2021 at 1:03 PM, NOD said:

Very nice brig. I like your brig and the frigate.:pir-huzzah2:

Thanks! The Fer Maiden would lay absolute waste to a sloop of this size hehe.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:12 PM, Mister Phes said:

Supersick_ is back! And this time we're not going to pretend this is an upcoming official LEGO release.

Once again another superb build - we've already got a blog post in the pipeline. :pir-huzzah2:

LOL yeah we will have to save something for April Fool's 2022 haha.

4 hours ago, Stoertebricker said:

Nice build again! Somehow I am not sure about the deck, it feels a bit deep inside or its missing a second deck on top the cannon line for the pirates to run on :pir-murder: but probably your last build is burned into my mind... so, probably I am just confused that there is just another build like it :pir-huzzah1:

Cheers! I wanted the deck to be 1 plate higher but it would make building later versions more difficult so I left it as-is. 

In the vein of something like a Cruizer-class (over 100+ built) brig, there would be various alterations to suit it's intended function. Right now it's flush-deck tip to tail like HMS Mars. Perhaps a version meant for longer distances would trade some stern guns for enclosed captain's quarters. If built for trading it may resemble more of an HMS Ontario type of vessel with full quarter decks.

HMS Mars:

p_4_1_1_2_4112-HMS-Mars.jpg

HMS Ontario:

e19a1380114d533ea29d37d2b015f1e1.jpg

19 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

Cheers! I wanted the deck to be 1 plate higher but it would make building later versions more difficult so I left it as-is. 

In the vein of something like a Cruizer-class (over 100+ built) brig, there would be various alterations to suit it's intended function. Right now it's flush-deck tip to tail like HMS Mars. Perhaps a version meant for longer distances would trade some stern guns for enclosed captain's quarters. If built for trading it may resemble more of an HMS Ontario type of vessel with full quarter decks.

Wow thanks for the examples, I even learned something today! My thoughtwas that even for a vessel focused on combat it would be an advantage to have a full deck on top of the cannon deck but HMS Mars is a good example that it is not needed :)