Sign in to follow this  
Sariel

BuWizz 3.0 PRO: test, performance, comparison [VIDEO]

Recommended Posts

I've had a chance to play with a pre-release version of the BuWizz 3.0 and here's everything I found out about it. And yes, it's FAST.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great review and I am very excited for BW 3.0. However, my next builds will be testing a series of rock-crawlers and I wonder if BW 3.0 will be all that helpful given speed is not really required.  Of course I can down gear and therefore have more torque, but I was achieving plenty of torque with BW 2.0.  I am ordering a 3.0, but I may not be able to use it for a while. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for great review! Do you know if it's possible to use all 6 ports simultaneously? I also wonder if functionality other than return to center steering is possible when using PU motors with rotational sensor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Great review and I am very excited for BW 3.0. However, my next builds will be testing a series of rock-crawlers and I wonder if BW 3.0 will be all that helpful given speed is not really required.  Of course I can down gear and therefore have more torque, but I was achieving plenty of torque with BW 2.0.  I am ordering a 3.0, but I may not be able to use it for a while.

Speed is just torque with different gearing.

The new box can power buggy motors a little faster than the old box, and can power a pair, which tells you it brings more to the table. Should mean you can have the same torque at higher speed, or even more torque at the same speed. Potentially with the benefit of only carrying one battery instead of two.

For me the big advantage is steering by C+ motor. Lego Servos are junk (always have been), the new motors are way better.

Edited by amorti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, amorti said:

peed is just torque with different gearing.

The new box can power buggy motors a little faster than the old box, and can power a pair, which tells you it brings more to the table. Should mean you can have the same torque at higher speed, or even more torque at the same speed. Potentially with the benefit of only carrying one battery instead of two.

Yes I understand.  I don't think anything I said did not articulate that.  My point was that although I could downgear for more torque, I don't think that would be needed for my application.  BW 2.0 is already twisting axles.  More speed is nearly always appreciated, but in the case of crawlers, not really.  

But all is a moot point.  Already ordered mine and I am sure I will find some application for it.  Very excited.  Also loving the light application. I know it is cheesy.... but I have always loved RGB lights...

Edited by nerdsforprez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

 twisting axles

Did you get the planetary hubs already? Speed up the drivetrain, reduce the torque going through it, maybe save a few axles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, kolbjha said:

Thanks for great review! Do you know if it's possible to use all 6 ports simultaneously? I also wonder if functionality other than return to center steering is possible when using PU motors with rotational sensor.

Of course you can use all 6 ports at once. We plan to add additional options such as rotating axles by exact amounts (like 90° for geraboxes), limiting range (for LAs) the ability to read motors such as sensors, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, a great controller for the C+ stuff I suppose. Definitely not what I was looking for, though definitely will be very popular, just as the previous versions were (still rocking 1.0 here, great stuff!!!) Excellent review as always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Of course you can use all 6 ports at once. We plan to add additional options such as rotating axles by exact amounts (like 90° for geraboxes), limiting range (for LAs) the ability to read motors such as sensors, etc...

That sounds great! About the functionality related to PU rotational sensor (and other sensors?), is the HW ready for that, so only updated SW/firmware is required?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kolbjha said:

That sounds great! About the functionality related to PU rotational sensor (and other sensors?), is the HW ready for that, so only updated SW/firmware is required?

HW and mostly FW is ready for such advanced functionality, but first we need to properly support basic driving and return to center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

HW and mostly FW is ready for such advanced functionality, but first we need to properly support basic driving and return to center.

:thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amorti said:

Did you get the planetary hubs already? Speed up the drivetrain, reduce the torque going through it, maybe save a few axles?

Yes.  But I also mostly use planetary hubs made from other Lego elements prior to the most recent release of the put-together hubs.  

Point is.. additional torque not really needed.  One can made non-stalling crawlers with BuWizz 2.0.  Additional speed? Very useful.  Additional torque, at least for the builds I am doing, I don't think so.  

Builds for others? i  am sure it could be very useful...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Looks very nice, I like the legth increase to 9 studs. And having PF and C+ connectors at the same time was a great move! Quickcharging is also a real treat...

I am sure this will work superb im many great MOCs. But the main problem is the price. I know this is a niche product, so it can't be helped, but still, 150 bucks is just a massive oof.

If you have need of the increased power and the specialized controls, go for it. But for simpler tasks, like a small RC car, I think a rechargable box from china will do you better. I mean, you can get Bruno's italian supercar from Cada for about the same price, with all the electronics included :look:

Edited by Gray Gear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very cool product, and the speed graphs shown in the video really demonstrate the performance I'm leaving on the table using the Lego 8878 battery. Sadly, it is really just too expensive for me to justify... Is there any chance of a clearance sale on old 2.0s?

Also, the slight curves on the bottom would prove very useful in RC motorcycles in which the battery slides left and right to change weight distribution, as this edge can easily catch otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the test and the video.  Are you sure now whether the part will be delivered soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.