elfprince13

Resolving incompatibilities between Stud.io and Bricksmith

It was suggested elsewhere that I share some of my models on Bricklink Studio Gallery as a way to try and draw interest to my LEGO Ideas project, but I'm running into some problems with Stud.io missing parts and being unable to handle custom parts bundled as subfiles due to ignoring geometric primitives. Presumably I could move some parts into Studio's Unofficial parts folder, but it seems like that would then not visualize correctly if shared via the Gallery. Any suggestions on possible workarounds?

On 5/9/2021 at 12:32 AM, elfprince13 said:

but it seems like that would then not visualize correctly if shared via the Gallery. Any suggestions on possible workarounds?

Have you tested? Studio files does embed all parts, including custom ones. That's a way to distribute custom parts (using cut and paste between models)

On 5/11/2021 at 3:11 AM, Philo said:

Have you tested? Studio files does embed all parts, including custom ones. That's a way to distribute custom parts (using cut and paste between models)

I got similar feedback on the official Studio forum, which makes it even more frustrating I can't just pre-embed the ones I want.

Now the problem is....any idea how I can get custom parts from a standard LDraw installation into Studio in the first place? Putting files into Studio's "Custom Parts/parts" folder causes them to appear in the custom palette, but at least u9251.dat and its variants won't actually render in Studio after I do that (and I did take care to also copy the subfiles into s/). Putting files into Studio's "UnOfficial/parts" doesn't cause them to show up anywhere, as far as I can tell.