10 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

I would be ashamed to ask money for it, sharing my hobby and creations is paid with honor, not with money.
you on the other hand are only trying to cash over the back of others.

I would advice you to stop telling other people what they should and shouldn't do with their own time and resources. Nobody tells you what you should do with your time and money, so let others do what they see fit.

Just now, IA creations said:

I believe that great work should be paid, so even if you build a C

That'd be great if said C-model were an alternative to an official B-model, but now it often isn't.

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

That'd be great if said C-model were an alternative to an official B-model, but now it often isn't.

That is the point, it's something new that takes time and thinking. You can't say a C model for a set like 42069 would be free, it could be like 5 or 10 euros. I still don't get why people complain about paying 10-15 euros for instructions, that amount of money  for most EU/NA countries that is like a trip to the grocery shop to get a couple of chips and a cola.

Making instructions is an hard job, so yes, people must pay for them if they want them. 

I would never spend 50-60 hours of hard job to send a gift to other builders. I would use this time to do something more funny!

Hey people we are  not talking about bread or a primary good.

You don't want to pay? Don't buy. And try to build it by yourself :classic:

3 minutes ago, IA creations said:

I still don't get why people complain about paying 10-15 euros for instructions

It still grows the budget spent on Lego. :laugh:

11 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

Sure but you can still wait to buy your desired set at 30% discount, so you save 10 Euro for the instructions :laugh:

I myself never made instructions, but I did buy one or two paid instructions.

I think whether to have paid instructions or not is a choice of the creator of the instructions. If your financial situation is that you need the profit of the instructions to do your hobby, who are you as a buyer to complain? Also, if you take time of your work, or you are every evening four hours busy with creating instructions, I think you can ask without any shame some money.

To decide if you buy them, is a choice of the buyer. If your financial situation is good enough, why not? It’s personal for everyone to create instructions and/or to buy them. If a model is worth the paid instructions is totally up to the customer, just like you decide if your shoes are worth the money. If it’s too expensive for you, or you think the model isn’t worth it, don’t buy them. It’s as simple as that.

And I think that @JaBaCaDaBra needs to reconsider if he should insult people befor you know about their financial situation and his/her choices. 

Edited by Rebel_Lego

50 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

I made over my life a lot of instructions for another hobby, actually multiple websites full of it.
But they're free for everyone.
I would be ashamed to ask money for it, sharing my hobby and creations is paid with honor, not with money.
you on the other hand are only trying to cash over the back of others.

But you get paid for some job, yes? I assume - yes, because you still live (no sarcasm).

There is no difference between manual labor and intellectual in terms of that everything has to be paid.

In some cases the idea is more valuable than amount of work to implement that idea... So it's natural some instructions are paid.

I agree with other people here: you consider some instruction is more expensive as you want (more expensive than notning or more expensive than price you would settle for that instruction) - just don't buy it. I don't see "good" or "bad" things are going on the market. The market just offers you new items and push you to make decisions. But it's a natural part of our life, isn't it?)

Edited by romashkaman

To begin with I should say that similar topic already exists here in technic forum if I'm not wrong.

3 hours ago, Akbalder said:

I have the feeling that more and more instructions are now paid instructions. Even the ones for C models of small sets aren't free anymore.

Do you have the small feeling?

I agree - mosty cool MOCs tofay are paid.

Do you think that it is a good thing?

Hard to say - depend on the reason and instructions cost.

Is it because some people do it as their main activity? Do they succeed to sell many instructions?

I assume very a few people do.

Maybe these instructions are more popular now because TLC provides less B models instructions as before.

Very reasonable sentence! 

2 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

What makes you think that paying for these things means you can get free stuff from others?

Totally right!

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

I only make building instructions to help pay for the costs of the MOC, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford this hobby the way I do now. 

That's my case too, Mate! I can't afford myself to buy any new sets from my salary here in Belarus, so selling instructions is the only way for me to keep ordering new parts and sets as I like to build physically with my fingers and hate building models in digital format, as my eyes are tired enough from the monitor at work. 

52 minutes ago, keymaker said:

I would advice you to stop telling other people

This topic is about pay or not pay so you're out of line dude.
And my statement is clear, yours however is offtopic.

2 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Hobby ends where grabbing money starts.

Try to consider selling instructions as a compensition for time spend on the instructions.

But to be honest sometimes I had to agree with you about the grabbing money. Luckilly this appears seldom.

To be honest I don't think looking at a topic like this should ever be through the lens of whether it's good or bad to sell instructions. It implies that it's somehow our business what someone chooses to do with their time and effort, which it just isn't.

Edited by Bartybum

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

But feel free to prove me wrong, link some free building instructions you made.

Cool response Mate!

58 minutes ago, IA creations said:

great work should be paid,

That work MAY not be required by the market and can be simply a time waste :)

56 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

But the point that TLG should be making B-models has already been made. I can't help but feel that this is somehow arguing that people shouldn't be selling instructions.

I've paid for many instructions, big (1:8 cars) and small (e.g. 42093 Z-models).

I don't see any problem about it, I understand it takes a lot of work making instructions. I have even paid 20+€ for photo-stream instructions and I'm happy about it.

The only points I could complain about are:

• the professionalization of some people who seem to be putting out new models quickly to make money. But frankly I realize that's my own problem of being frustrated having too little time and resources to build everything.
  • paid instructions that "should" be free because the result is so small I can build it from the picture.

In the end people do whatever they want.

49 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

Not so fun as it was supposed to be: instead of instructions that I personally had purchased for myself I can asily order any lego modern set (not uniquie one of course).

6 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

This topic is about pay or not pay so you're out of line dude.
And my statement is clear, yours however is offtopic.

Yes, your statement is clear: MOC creators that selling their Building Instructions "are only trying to cash over the back of others". And I think that's out of line.

Just because you offer your building instructions for free does not give you the right to insult others.

I tend to close this.

We have had several topics exactly like this over the course of the last 10 years, and every single one of them ended the same, starting with arguments on both sides, then offenses, repeat.
Obviously this is a touchy topic, as money and ethics are involved, each side has its own points and views, and in a few days of discussing it we will end up where we started.