This is my first 1:8 Lego car and my passion project for over three years. I had just finished the chassis and the bottom of the grille before a big move meant I had to wait a whole year to work on this again.

KWTZShI.png11ZnTmf.png

Here are the blueprints for the model using Sariel's model scaler. Pic 1 is in inches and Pic 2 is in studs.

YiTIKSi.png1QPgTDO.png

This is my first accurate Lego exterior job so any advice would be appreciated. :laugh:

Very solid design! The steering column structure is excellent. Just curious, why did you choose to motorize the car with EV3? The back proportions would be easier to model if PF motors were used.

@TechnicRCRacer Thanks! I started out my Technic career with EV3 before I got BuWizz and Power Functions motors. Why I chose this powertrain option is just for sentimental value.

I finished the grille design, and I'm pretty pleased with it. The gray 12L piece on the bottom is for adding slope bricks when I get some.

w2cjCYg.jpg

I'm back with the project and now I'm brainstorming with I believe to be the hardest part of the exterior, the headlights.

Here's a headlight on the real car.

Screen%20Shot%202021-07-23%20at%203.16.4

And here's a headlight I made.

Screen%20Shot%202021-07-23%20at%203.16.3

Honestly this is a very tricky part of this car to build with Lego and I tried my best. Any advice or is this good enough for now?

It all depends on how it is framed in the bodywork. The presented solution could look good I think, but it could also look bad just as easily.

Got some major progress on the LC.

Screen%20Shot%202021-07-26%20at%203.27.0Screen%20Shot%202021-07-26%20at%203.27.1

Current challenges are adding the doors, and then building the rear bumper, trunk, taillights, and spoiler. What do you think of the build so far?

If I may, I’d like to offer some constructive criticism.

It looks quite boxy ATM. Modern cars nearly all are quite boxy by default, so it is really the small angles that make the shape.

It is almost universal now to have an upward slope between the front and rear wheels. In my BMW X3 and my Ferrari F50GT I actually made a separate subframe in which the doors were mounted just to get that angle in.

The same will apply to the roofline. You’ll be amazed how much a small angle will change the looks.

Anyways, no matter what just enjoy the process

37 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

If I may, I’d like to offer some constructive criticism.

It looks quite boxy ATM. Modern cars nearly all are quite boxy by default, so it is really the small angles that make the shape.

It is almost universal now to have an upward slope between the front and rear wheels. In my BMW X3 and my Ferrari F50GT I actually made a separate subframe in which the doors were mounted just to get that angle in.

The same will apply to the roofline. You’ll be amazed how much a small angle will change the looks.

Anyways, no matter what just enjoy the process

Thanks for the advice Jeroen. :classic: I'll try angling the doors and see if that makes things look better. A lot of parts of the car I see as being good enough at my current skill level and experience, though.

It's nice to hear from you again, it's been a long time since I have been able to make progress on the build. Currently working on remaking the front fenders and the rear of the car. I'm also using Studio for the areas to order necessary pieces from BrickLink.

@Jeroen Ottens So I tried to angle the doors upwards, but it's really challenging and everything looks off. I'm deciding to keep the doors unangled, since the real LC's doors are angled very slightly. What's your opinion?