Kai NRG

A Right Knightly Adventure

In a peaceful little village of Historica, a knight comes looking for a romantic adventure... but the adventure he found was a little more down to earth than he'd expected!

51159950263_982176b557_z.jpg

I seem to be on a kick of building Tudor houses...  these two were so much fun, especially the one with the blue roof.  It was small enough that I could work on getting every little part just right!

IUQwiExVd6it0WeacJoEUEzAcosys6-metaQSBSaWdodCBLbmlnaHRseSBBZHZlbnR1cmUgKDIpLkpQRw%3D%3D-___media_library_original_1320_990.jpg

Had some thoughts of making the second smaller house totally different colors, but it looked too unnatural, so I just went for a different roof and a studs-up wall construction instead.

jEzyUWNNrF82kyOJt7IiRWnZaxcBV9-metaQSBSaWdodCBLbmlnaHRseSBBZHZlbnR1cmUgKDMpLkpQRw%3D%3D-___media_library_original_1466_1099.jpg

Then there are those nougat sacks, which were too good not to include, even if they don't attach to anything...

as4DQMToYHTUBCR25O0k5tNAjRVpjf-metaQSBSaWdodCBLbmlnaHRseSBBZHZlbnR1cmUgKDQpLkpQRw%3D%3D-___media_library_original_1382_1036.jpg

APyIiZavfsGmHMzvdmsTNu4Px726HF-metaQSBSaWdodCBLbmlnaHRseSBBZHZlbnR1cmUgKDUpLkpQRw%3D%3D-___media_library_original_1294_970.jpg

Once again, this is not a GoH build per se - I built it for other reasons, but it definitely felt good to come back to my castle roots--though it looks more Avalonian than Kaliphlinian, I think!

I took a whole lot more pictures of this build, including some of the inside techniques, which you can see on my blog if you're interested!  C&C welcome too, as always!

Edit: This made it into the voting phase of a LEGO Ideas contest--go check out the entries and vote for your favorite! :sweet:

Edited by Kai NRG

Awesome little build - very colorful.  The sheaves of wheat and the sign are my favorite parts.  The doors are all well done too.

The base looks very natural.  Visually it is detailed without being obtrusive allowing your focus to fall on the buildings and minifigures.

The construction of the blue roof is terrific - thank you for posting extra shots (on your blog).

having single plate offsets on the [smaller building's] wall would be awkward

I would have preferred this over the flat/studs up design you went with.  That and the nougat roof design and red awning missed the mark IMO.  I feel the small house is too small to be a house.  I'd say either make it bigger or simplify it (remove the chimney, probably the door - just have it open on one side with the awning) to make it more of a permanent market stall instead of a house.

Overall the build is terrific - it feels very 'playful' with the colors and the minifigure positioning.

Great work! Your Tudor builds continue to impress!

I like how you were able to achieve the curvature on the blue roof and red awning. The road sign is a nice touch as well, and I really like the use of that tea saucer above one of the doors!

The figure posing is also great - it makes the whole scene really dynamic and imbues it with lots of personality.

Edited by socalbricks

Very fun! So when are you announcing that you have switched guilds? We've got a lovely pair of green tights for you, and plenty of huggable trees that can be all yours!

Those are adorable!  Great level of detail without being too busy, especially for that small size.  The road sign is simple but delightful and a great addition to the build.  :classic:

On 5/5/2021 at 2:14 PM, caiman0637 said:

Great build!

Thank you! :sweet:

On 5/5/2021 at 4:00 PM, jtooker said:

Awesome little build - very colorful.  The sheaves of wheat and the sign are my favorite parts.  The doors are all well done too.

The base looks very natural.  Visually it is detailed without being obtrusive allowing your focus to fall on the buildings and minifigures.

The construction of the blue roof is terrific - thank you for posting extra shots (on your blog).

I would have preferred this over the flat/studs up design you went with.  That and the nougat roof design and red awning missed the mark IMO.  I feel the small house is too small to be a house.  I'd say either make it bigger or simplify it (remove the chimney, probably the door - just have it open on one side with the awning) to make it more of a permanent market stall instead of a house.

Overall the build is terrific - it feels very 'playful' with the colors and the minifigure positioning.

You definitely have a point.  I considered making it a "permanent" stall but just wasn't able to visualize that to my satisfaction... I think I was afraid of losing too much in a dark inside.  As soon as you mentioned it, yes, the door looks quite ridiculous. :laugh:  I'll have to work on doing a better job proportioning my medieval houses in future. :grin:

Thank you though, I really appreciate the thoughtful criticism!

On 5/5/2021 at 5:52 PM, socalbricks said:

Great work! Your Tudor builds continue to impress!

I like how you were able to achieve the curvature on the blue roof and red awning. The road sign is a nice touch as well, and I really like the use of that tea saucer above one of the doors!

The figure posing is also great - it makes the whole scene really dynamic with imbues it with lots of personality.

Thanks socialbricks!  Was fun to browse my head collection for laughing faces. :wink:

23 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Very fun! So when are you announcing that you have switched guilds? We've got a lovely pair of green tights for you, and plenty of huggable trees that can be all yours!

haha, very funny Henjin! :tongue:  Did you notice there's not a single tree in this build?  No bark getting stuck to my red tights anytime soon, thank you very much... :grin:

23 hours ago, deraven said:

Those are adorable!  Great level of detail without being too busy, especially for that small size.  The road sign is simple but delightful and a great addition to the build.  :classic:

Thank you!  I think I will be using that road sign technique again a time or two...

5 hours ago, jtooker said:

I spotted your creation (and voted for it) in the LEGO house contest.  Good luck!

Thank you so much!  :blush:

Really nice build.  I like the wooden framing on the houses.  The mixture of the round tiles and plates looks great.  The slanted orange roof looks nice with the curved plates.  Just a few questions.  Is the knight chasing the pig?  Also are the frogs with the green flower pieces attached supposed to be vegetables if so that is a great idea?

Even knights aren't above rasslin' some hogs.  Very fun build, and nice work on all the little details that bring this to life.  I love your sign post in particular.

13 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Really nice build.  I like the wooden framing on the houses.  The mixture of the round tiles and plates looks great.  The slanted orange roof looks nice with the curved plates.  Just a few questions.  Is the knight chasing the pig?  Also are the frogs with the green flower pieces attached supposed to be vegetables if so that is a great idea?

Thanks!  Yep, the knight got himself in over his head and now had better catch that pig or I imagine there's an enraged farmer's wife ready to take him to task! :grin:

You got it, the frogs are supposed to be yellow and red peppers.  I saw it somewhere else, but I was trying to look for the MOC to link to it and I couldn't find it!

5 minutes ago, The Stad said:

Even knights aren't above rasslin' some hogs.  Very fun build, and nice work on all the little details that bring this to life.  I love your sign post in particular.

Thanks The Stad!  Glad you enjoyed the details. :sweet:

Nice work!  I like the brightly colored roofs and the humor of the knight chasing a pig.  You have a lot of nice details from facial expressions, the carrot market, and the woodpile to the tudor framing and the stones embedded in the road that really bring the creation to life.  Well done!

I like how bright these are Kai!  The buildings certainly capture the spirit of the new blacksmith shop and scale it down into a more "classic castle" footprint.

On 5/8/2021 at 10:03 AM, Servertijd said:

Great scene! The colors are splendid and so are all the details! Great job!

Thank you!

On 5/8/2021 at 7:27 PM, Grover said:

Nice work!  I like the brightly colored roofs and the humor of the knight chasing a pig.  You have a lot of nice details from facial expressions, the carrot market, and the woodpile to the tudor framing and the stones embedded in the road that really bring the creation to life.  Well done!

Thanks Grover!  This size MOC is really the perfect size for spending time on little details without feeling like it's futile because they'll be lost in the final pictures!

2 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

I like how bright these are Kai!  The buildings certainly capture the spirit of the new blacksmith shop and scale it down into a more "classic castle" footprint.

Thank you!  It was fun to use some bright colors.