Happy May the 4th everyone! :pir-love:

Today is a special day. That's why I'm releasing my first MOC: the Torment Imperial-II Star Destroyer. 

Made of 3,011 pieces, 25 inches long (79 studs), weighing 2kg, it's a medium-sized, modular Imperial-II Star Destroyer holding on a single Lego stand. It features all of the recognizable elements of the real studio model: turrets, antennas, hangars, bridge, neck, engines, with close attention to every detail and proportions of the original Imperial-II ship from Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.

Designing took about 70 days, plus 15 days for building / testing, & another 15 days for making instructions and photos. More than 3 months of work. 

My goal was to build the most accurate SD as I could, in a limited scale - a moderately-sized build that could still easily fit on a desk or shelf, and be moved freely. This choice of scale made working on greeble and proportions a real challenge. Designing a single, secure stand was not an easy task either. But after all this work, I'm really happy with the result.

Hope you guys enjoy it, and may the 4th be with you!

Instructions for the Torment are available at BrickVault.

More pictures on my Flickr page.

51156325646_501d713012_b.jpg

51156325611_ac6d8bc12e_b.jpg

51155660132_1146fb745f_b.jpg

51157432770_e60ebbb7f0_b.jpg

51156325531_2caaf0938c_b.jpg

Extra pictures (dark mode disabled!) :

51157710411_346e5a3a7d_b.jpg

51158819455_53474cda26_b.jpg

51157046957_14c0266891_b.jpg

Edited by FlyInSpace
Edit 1.3: typo

Wow, i really like it.

Its cool to have a nice model with a limited part count.

There are other stunning models around but with killer prices.

Any rares parts on this build?

3 minutes ago, Lfm55 said:

Wow, i really like it.

Its cool to have a nice model with a limited part count.

There are other stunning models around but with killer prices.

Any rares parts on this build?

Thanks a lot, glad you like it. I made sure to avoid any rare part but also drastically limited the unique lots to make buying and collecting parts easier (194 unique lots).

Looks really good, at least I think so.. do you have any pictures in brighter lighting? So we can see things like the stand and the overall outline? It’s all very.... dark. Beautiful and moody but.... dark... ☹️

Edited by Rubblemaker

1 hour ago, Rubblemaker said:

Looks really good, at least I think so.. do you have any pictures in brighter lighting? So we can see things like the stand and the overall outline? It’s all very.... dark. Beautiful and moody but.... dark... ☹️

Hey Rubblemaker, thanks for chiming in! I love dark stuff haha. I wanted to make the pictures look like actual scenes from the movie with a "space" type of lighting. But I agree, I should post some photos in more realistic lighting conditions. I'll update the post with new pics shortly. 

Meanwhile here's how it looks like on my desk right now: 

DSC07280.jpg

Edited by FlyInSpace

42 minutes ago, FlyInSpace said:

Hey Rubblemaker, thanks for chiming in! I love dark stuff haha. I wanted to make the pictures look like actual scenes from the movie with a "space" type of lighting. But I agree, I should post some photos in more realistic lighting conditions. I'll update the post with new pics shortly. 

Meanwhile here's how it looks like on my desk right now: 

DSC07280.jpg

Well, can confirm, that is one super gorgeous ISD moc! Nice work!

That picture is really better!

How much do you charge for instructions ?

I don’t think i am going to build it right now as i still need my wallet to recover from the Jerac’s Razor crest but i put it on my list!

2 hours ago, Rubblemaker said:

Well, can confirm, that is one super gorgeous ISD moc! Nice work!

Thanks so much!

This is awesome! What a great way to make a splash of May the 4th. Your model and photography do a great job of bringing the size down but still capturing the feeling that this ship is massive. Very well done!

3 hours ago, Lfm55 said:

That picture is really better!

How much do you charge for instructions ?

I don’t think i am going to build it right now as i still need my wallet to recover from the Jerac’s Razor crest but i put it on my list!

Hey, thanks a lot! The instructions are priced at $25. Hit me up @ flyinspace.mocs@gmail.com for purchase.

Yeah, Jerac's work is outstanding, who can resist his MOCs? 

1 hour ago, Cjd223 said:

This is awesome! What a great way to make a splash of May the 4th. Your model and photography do a great job of bringing the size down but still capturing the feeling that this ship is massive. Very well done!

May the 4th was THE deadline :) Thanks a lot, I indeed made my best to avoid sacrificing important detail, especially as a greeble freak! Glad you like it.

That is a great model, the greebling along the sides and on the bridge is phenomenal and you've captured teh angles perfectly. Great work

Edited by Stuartn

29 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

That is a great model, the greebling along the sides and on the bridge is phenomenal and you've captured teh angles perfectly. Great work

Thanks so much :) Greeble implementation was both very fun and frustrating at the same time.

Hi 

it's great !! I was hoping a medium sized ISD for a while

could you please confirm the dimensions (length, width and height) in centimeters ? Thanks

and do you have an estimated price for the parts based on your part list ?

2 hours ago, macaron35 said:

Hi 

it's great !! I was hoping a medium sized ISD for a while

could you please confirm the dimensions (length, width and height) in centimeters ? Thanks

and do you have an estimated price for the parts based on your part list ?

Hey :) The estimated price for all 3,011 bricks is around $650, from what I've seen on Rebrickable. Before buying the parts I had already sourced half of the list, and spent about $250.

Here are the full dimensions:

image.png.a9f49ec57baa2e8cc01aa9ea1bf064e1.png

ok thanks :)

is the stand included ?

you may consider selling your MOC there because the website sells instructions along with parts to build it: https://buildamoc.com/collections/star-wars

I think it's a win-win-win solution:

- the website makes money

- the MOC's owner sells instructions easily

- the buyer gets instructions and parts at once, the process is hassle free instead of sourcing the list on BL with inconsistent prices

I can't wait Lego stores to reopen, pick a brick is much cheaper than ordering on BL...

Edited by macaron35

19 minutes ago, macaron35 said:

ok thanks :)

is the stand included ?

you may consider selling your MOC there because the website sells instructions along with parts to build it: https://buildamoc.com/collections/star-wars

I think it's a win-win-win solution:

- the website makes money

- the MOC's owner sells instructions easily

- the buyer gets instructions and parts at once, the process is hassle free instead of sourcing the list on BL with inconsistent prices

I can't wait Lego stores to reopen, pick a brick is much cheaper than ordering on BL...

Of course the stand is included!

Thanks for sharing the website.

Very nice! Just bought it, even though the Eviscerator is prio one right now (sitting at 90% pieces, I'm not going to give it up now - if both had been released at the same time I think I would've only gone with this one since it was hell to find a shelf to accommodate the Eviscerator). :)

Happy to see a nice and accurate Star Destroyer in a little more forgiving scale than the others. Good job!

1 hour ago, danielwerner said:

Very nice! Just bought it, even though the Eviscerator is prio one right now (sitting at 90% pieces, I'm not going to give it up now - if both had been released at the same time I think I would've only gone with this one since it was hell to find a shelf to accommodate the Eviscerator). :)

Happy to see a nice and accurate Star Destroyer in a little more forgiving scale than the others. Good job!

Thank you for buying the instructions Daniel, don't forget to share the finished model to us when you're done! :pir-grin:

Edited by FlyInSpace

Purchased!

Fantastic scaled-down version of the ISD - proportions are spot on!  I'm browsing through the pdf file now, and the instructions are very nice - great job.  I envision some kind of forced perspective display with my Eviscerator 2.0.  This is gonna be fun! :excited:

1 minute ago, lowlead said:

Purchased!

Fantastic scaled-down version of the ISD - proportions are spot on!  I'm browsing through the pdf file now, and the instructions are very nice - great job.  I envision some kind of forced perspective display with my Eviscerator 2.0.  This is gonna be fun! :excited:

Thank you Lowlead! It would be amazing to see both models next to each other! 2mpaired should also buy the Torment soon, he told me he wants to build it too :pir-grin:

Hi guys, 

any frequent client of lego stores here ?

I was wondering if it's possible to pick all the plates and tiles with the pick a brick service ? If so, the cost of building the ship would fall from hundreds of bucks to less than $50 just for these numerous parts ;)