MKJoshA

May the 4th 2021: Star Wars Concept Art Contest

Deadline extended to 6th of June, anywhere in the world.

May the 4th be with you, always! Celebrate the unique Star Wars universe with us by entering the Eurobricks SW Concept Art Contest.

800x666.jpg

One of the things that makes the Star Wars universe so recognizable is its visual style. Artists like Ralph McQuarrie and Doug Chiang set the stage for the galaxy we know and love through their concept art sketches that have caught the eye of George Lucas, Jon Favreau and other Star Wars film makers.

For this contest take a Star Wars concept art piece or a specific scene from a movie or show and turn it into a Lego MOC!

You can take a large scene like this famous one from Ralph McQuarrie:

image.png.aed431f93b191d4df5d6034bcaa29dd3.png

Or you can go simpler like this cargo ship built from a rough sketch by John Giang:

640x530.JPG

You can also do a cut-away shot of a vehicle or a freeze-frame recreation from a specific moment!

You can use one of the "Art of Star Wars" books like those pictured in the background of the announcement photo. Or you can find a picture online to use as a reference. Googling Ralph McQuarrie and Doug Chiang will give you a lot of results. But you can also look up articles like these from StarWars.com or these. If you want to recreate a scene directly from a movie/show you can use the Visual Guide or Visual Dictionary books like this one or this one. Please include a link or picture of your reference material in your entry.

Rules

• Only one entry per person.
  • There is no maximum or minimum size limit.
  • The contest will run from 4th May to 4th June 6th June, 2021. As long as it's still June 4th somewhere in the world, you can still enter.
  • Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • This contest is open to all EB members, even if they joined EB after the contest has begun, with the exception of the Star Wars staff, who are not eligible to win prizes.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the contest. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts. Digital entries will be allowed. All digital entries must use only existing pieces in existing colors.
  • All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Watto’s Junkyard forum, the title prefixed by, "[Concept Art] - entry name". (For example, "[Concept Art] – Street Showdown".)
  • A link should be included in this thread for your entry to count.
  • You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited. It is also prohibited to use the Lego logo in any picture.
  • All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.
  • The winners will be decided by EB members voting.

Prizes

• First place will win their pick of 75306 Probe Droid or
    75305 Scout Trooper Helmet or
    75304 Darth Vader Helmet
  • Second place will win their pick of the 2 sets remaining
  • Third place will win the remaining set

Neat idea for a contest! For more inspiration, you could also watch the end credits of each Mandalorian episode or look at the episode guides for The Clone Wars and Rebels on StarWars.com where they have concept art for each episode.

Would something from the "The Star Wars" comic series by Dark Horse based on Lucas' original craft be allowed? They mostly used designs from existing concept art, though possibly changed a bit.

To be sure I understand, one can either make a LEGO build of SW concept art, or a LEGO build of a scene from a SW movie/show? 

9 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Would something from the "The Star Wars" comic series by Dark Horse based on Lucas' original craft be allowed? They mostly used designs from existing concept art, though possibly changed a bit.

Yes, that can be allowed.

1 hour ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

To be sure I understand, one can either make a LEGO build of SW concept art, or a LEGO build of a scene from a SW movie/show? 

Yes. Either a MOC of a concept art piece or a recreation of a specific scene for those who don't have access to concept art or don't want to build that.

@MKJoshAThanks! One further question, if one were to build a ship from concept art, would it be ok to just post the ship, or would it need to be in the whole concept art scene? I think you imply that one could just build the ship, but I wanted to be sure. 

Just now, Henjin_Quilones said:

@MKJoshAThanks! One further question, if one were to build a ship from concept art, would it be ok to just post the ship, or would it need to be in the whole concept art scene? I think you imply that one could just build the ship, but I wanted to be sure. 

You can certainly just build a ship. But as this is a public popularity contest it won't hurt to include a scene. Something like what I built for Factions would be appropriate:

640x152.JPG

But just building the ship and getting a cool shot of it would be perfectly allowed.

8 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

You can certainly just build a ship. But as this is a public popularity contest it won't hurt to include a scene. Something like what I built for Factions would be appropriate:

But just building the ship and getting a cool shot of it would be perfectly allowed.

Thanks! I’d probably build the whole scene, since that’s how I roll, but just wanted to check. In case time starts running out towards the end, you know? We’ll see if I get time to enter this year. Hopefully!

48 minutes ago, Nantucketdink said:

"It is also prohibited to use the Lego logo in any picture."  This is a very slick no studs rule... all tiles it is

Ha! Not quite the intent that rule has. But I won't stop you from tiling everything :laugh:

Can I build on Studio? Most of my IRL bricks are used in sets and I really don't want to break those down.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, MAVERICK26 said:

Can I build on Studio? Most of my IRL bricks are used in sets and I really don't want to break those down.

Thanks!

Yes, digital builds are allowed. But you are only allowed to use bricks that exist IRL.

Prizes have been announced! Get your pick of the new Probe Droid Statue, Scout Trooper Helmet, or Darth Vader Helmet!

Oh man, it’s that time of the year again. Hopefully I’ll have a chance of putting something together.

One question though, does the concept art have to come from an official source, or can it be a fan made piece of art?

15 hours ago, naugem said:

Oh man, it’s that time of the year again. Hopefully I’ll have a chance of putting something together.

One question though, does the concept art have to come from an official source, or can it be a fan made piece of art?

It should have a very SW vibe to it. So fan art could work, but if you are still in doubt PM me a link and I'll let you know.

10 hours ago, naugem said:

So, any chance for an extension on this? 😬

Wasn't planning on one. How is everyone else doing for time?

Hi @MKJoshA ;) I finished my new work to post on the contest, but I have a small question can I put a small sticker of the rebel alliance logo I made on an existing Tile, Round 3 x 3 white? I send here an example. Thanks ;) 

3x3.jpg

7 hours ago, Rui Miguel said:

Hi @MKJoshA ;) I finished my new work to post on the contest, but I have a small question can I put a small sticker of the rebel alliance logo I made on an existing Tile, Round 3 x 3 white? I send here an example. Thanks ;) 

3x3.jpg

Yes, that would be fine.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:17 AM, MKJoshA said:

Wasn't planning on one. How is everyone else doing for time?

I'm still working on mine, but should be able to get it finished by the 4th.

On 5/27/2021 at 9:58 PM, naugem said:

So, any chance for an extension on this? 😬

9 hours ago, Oky said:

I'm still working on mine, but should be able to get it finished by the 4th.

I've just extended the deadline through the weekend to the 6th. Hope that helps!