Hey guys,

During a chat I was pointed to the Steinwinter Supercargo 2040.

640x349.jpg

I was fascinated by the look and decided to build it. It was designed by the german engineer Manfred Steinwinter. During my research, I found out that he build only one prototype, but planned many more versions. I liked the three-axled version and so started with a rough sketch to get an idea of the proportions:

Spoiler

800x195.png640x1288.png640x337.png

While I was searching for images of that truck, I also contacted the current IP owner and asked for blueprints. Fortunately he liked my project and he send me some. Since then this truck went through many iteration of improvements and design changes. In the end I decided to use Powered Up to control it.

This is the current state:

Spoiler

800x634.JPG

These are planned/implemented features and specifications:

• Current weight: 3kg
  • Length: 86 studs
  • Height: 14 studs
  • Width: 27 studs
  • Power supply: 4x Technic hub
  • Driving: 4x C+ XL motor, each motor is connected to one hub to spread the load (3,528:1, theoretically 0,74 km/h @7,5V @124Ncm)
  • Steering: 1x C+ L motor, two steered axles with Ackerman geometry
  • Compressor: 1x C+ L motor, 4 pumps
  • 3 RC valves: 3x C+ L motor, 3x newest valve
    • one for each the rear axle, front/middle left wheel, front/middle right wheel
  • Angle sensor for suspension on front and middle axle: 2x C+ XL and 2x Boost Medium motors OR 2x C+ XL
  • Angle sensor for rear axle: 1x motor (not implemented yet)
  • Air/pneumatic suspension on all axles controlled by Powered Up
    • double wishbone suspension on fron and middle axle
      • Each front/middle wheel on the left and right side are one unit. That means if the front wheel is pushed up the middle wheel is pushed down. That way the weight is equally distributed on the wheels
    • live rear axle

When I decided to use Powered Up I thought about controlling the ride height somehow with Powered Up. To do that I needed something to read the position of the double wish bone arms and the rear axle. Since several motors in the C+/Powered Up eco system can report their position, tried to use them to read the angle of the suspension arm. I successfully implemented that on the front and middle axle. For the rear axle I haven't found a good solution yet, because that axle can move on two axis. While I'm waiting for some additional parts, I'm working on the solution for the rear axle.

As for the code, I already made a proof of concept. I created a test setup and wrote some code, which reads the angle of a suspension arm and adjusts it to the desired value. for the finished MOC a can think of something like a parking height, highway ride height and more or less off-road height.

Once the chassis is finished the and the Powered Up is working I'll start working on body.

Feel free to leave comments, critique and suggestions.

I toyed with the idea to build this, just a bus version, in system bricks:

c6f6be7e096d3b972dfe6e84038b6279.jpg

Anyway, would like to see how your build progresses.

Why this scale? 1:11 is pretty huge for an 18 meter truck.
If you are planning to build a trailer, and you have made sketches with it, the final length will be around 1.6 meters...200 studs?

2 minutes ago, Milan said:

Why this scale? 1:11 is pretty huge for an 18 meters truck.
If you are planning to build a trailer, and you have made sketches with it, the final length will be around 1.6 meters...200 studs?

Why not? :D But the truth is, I just like big models. That scale also offers ore space to implement features. As for the trailer, I haven't decided yet, if I'm going to build it, too. But before doing that, I have to finish the truck first.

3 minutes ago, Andman said:

Why not? :D But the truth is, I just like big models. That scale also offers ore space to implement features.

I like it too, and have built quite a few large scale working models, but would probably stop at 1:14, max 1:13 scale, where it is starting to get too big for its own good :)
Hope you will pull this one through, and ofc, would love to see the trailer, too. 

Good luck.

So far I haven't experience any serious and unsolvable issues with that scale for that truck. The rear frame was a bit tricky because it starts with a height of 5 studs and ends at 1 studs. But it still had to withstand load and it transfer the forces to the suspension instead of bending. Integrating the driving motors helped in addition to solved not only that problem. What I have experienced in general is, that the bigger you build the more connections you have. Each connection, pin or axle, adds more play to the whole structure. So I basically used an overkill amount of pins to spread applied forces and to minimise play in the structure.

9 minutes ago, Milan said:

Good luck.

Thanks!

While I'm waiting for some parts, i made a first concept for the body. The parts are actually white. I just had to lower the brightness, because it was all white and not possible to see the different parts. The doors on both sides give access to the hubs to turn them on.

800x450.png

400x282.jpg

Anybody aware of extension cables for PU devices, which have a reasonable price? I'm aware of these, but they are quite expensive.

Edited by Andman

27 minutes ago, Andman said:

While I'm waiting for some parts, i made a first concept for the body. The parts are actually white. I just had to lower the brightness, because it was all white and not possible to see the different parts. The doors on both sides give access to the hubs to turn them on.

Anybody aware of extension cables for PU devices, which have a reasonable price? I'm aware of these, but they are quite expensive.

Well, if you don't mind making your own cables aliexpress has some options like these. There are also some with the cable attached already.

Insane build so far, the digital prototype looks good.

Edited by syclone

Following this one closely.
Worried about the sagging of the cabine in the front, but we need to wait and see. Probably a good strong brick built chassis will be able to hold it leveled properly.
I used two double stacked technic bricks arrangement to create chassis beams to make an incredible rigid chassis for my 10+ kg mobile crane.

Finally some time to give this truck some love. I started to build the cabin. I finished the doors now. Quite happy with the result. Especially the angle, when it's open.

Edit: I'll crop my images next time.

supercargo_2040_truck_rebuild_4.png

supercargo_2040_truck_rebuild_4_4.png

supercargo_2040_truck_rebuild_4_5.png

supercargo_2040_truck_rebuild_4_3.png

supercargo_2040_truck_rebuild_4_6.png

Edited by Andman

Looks very striking! I like seeing those System-oriented motors used, since I tend to forget about them!

On 5/3/2021 at 11:33 AM, Andman said:

Hey guys,

During a chat I was pointed to the Steinwinter Supercargo 2040.

640x349.jpg

Hide contents

800x195.png

Imagine driving this beast on the road! When you went round a tight corner the front of the container would be about 30 feet away to one side of you until the trailer caught up.

Time for an update. I worked on the front and the interior.

steinwinter_2040_cabin_03.jpgsupercargo_2040_truck_rebuild_9.pngsupercargo_2040_truck_rebuild_8.pngsupercargo_2040_truck_rebuild_7.png

Edited by Andman
added reference to the original cabin

That looks like a pretty comfy ride...  I want a car just like that :classic:

Very cool project !

Looking good, nice progress, going to be interesting to see how you keep that whole front from seriously sagging though.