DrJB

Will there ever be 100% Technic Models ?

Many of us have seen the evolution of Technic when it started with 'modified' system parts (e.g. System Bricks with Technic holes) into the plethora of Technic only parts we have today (lift-arms, connectors, gears, ...)

However, still, Lego tends to still use a small amount of System parts such as the 1×1 round tile for lights and curved slopes for styling.  Also, while the percentage content of system parts in official technic sets has dropped substantially over the past few years, we still see parts with 'dormant' DNA strands that never get used in Technic sets. For example, the engine block with its 4 studs on the top, or the bushing with 4 indentations.

The question is: Would TLG ever move to 100% Technic parts only in official sets? This would require new part that are as functional as existing ones, yet with only technic-style connections. 

No one really knows what TLG is simmering for us, this thread is more to address this question and get a feel for the community's opinions/feels/desires.

Edited by DrJB

Why they should?  Limiting to only one system is like to make a complete new brand, and this only to make sure it is incompatible.

For me they can use a Znap or Duplo piece when it does its task better than a Technic part.

It is possible that a set may be designed that doesn't use anything other than Technic pieces, but since Lego don't have a problem with system parts usage I don't expect it will ever be a goal. Just like the complaints in Star Wars and other themes about usage of Technic pieces.

For me it's all about the model and what's best for a specific task. If studless technic can build a more intricate gearbox for a particular model then use studless. But if the chassis of that same model can be built more rigid with studded Technic beams then use those in the same model. And if the interior can be built best with mostly system pieces then use those also. I'm open to both a mix of systems in the same model, as well as total homogeny of only Technic parts in a Technic set, so long as they are using the best pieces for the task at hand.

Small sets often are 100% Technic, with no System parts, for example 42101.

But as Efferman asked, why should they move to 100% System? Many things, especially decorative features, are easy to accomplish by adding System parts on a Technic base, so I see no point in creating new, similar parts for those things. It's true that some Technic parts still carry the System features included in the past like the engine block studs and bushing's indentations which are never used in today's Technic sets but those features still serve a purpose in MOCing, for example the engine block can be stacked with the studs and perhaps used for a decorative purpose in a System MOC.

Actually, in my opinion, TLG should consider mixing Technic and System even more, for example in cars that come with Technic chassis and functions but with System exterior. Not that properly built Technic exterior looks bad by any means, but especially when replicating real life model into Lego, there's a lot more possibilities for detailing with System parts. Also, Technic bricks are still used when higher strength is required in small space (the boom extension of 42082 for example) and to me this is exactly as it should be: using parts in a way that best serves the model.

I think the bricks are a really good state, where you have options to build absolutely anything you desire, so I don't see why sacrificing some possibilities for the sake of a pure technic would be worth it for LEGO. After all you can always build a MOC 100% with technic bricks if that is the goal.

I come from the "studded Technic era" from 8865 Test Car, in that time "normal system" pieces where part of the kit, and used to form chassis or engine cases.

What I dont like now is too much importance in outer aesthetics and less in Technic concepts.

Doms Charger, which is almost a Scale Model or the Ducati Panigale, that mechanicaly is NOT a Ducati at all, are examples.

2 hours ago, efferman said:

Why they should?  Limiting to only one system is like to make a complete new brand, and this only to make sure it is incompatible.

Agreed.  The question is asked as if a "technic only" restriction is something desirable.  I am not sure it is.....

I don't think it will happen ever.

Not because of a technical possibility, as TLG changes the parts by optimizing and correcting the molds so the parts sometimes loose some functions. Like it happened for half-bushes and their "toothed" connections.
It may really happen that the engine blocks may loos their stud connections if their appearance makes some serious troubles to their durability. A bright example is 24-teeth gear that loose its 45-degree axle holes.

The reason, I believe, in a fact of intra-"themes" compatibility. TLG has learned their lesson with Galidor, Znap and other similar "themes" - there were too distant for the main "core" idea and parts to be called LEGO.
Now, the Bionicle (and other Action models) even having their oven parts design, still follow the same "common" connections. Even the simplest model could be changed significantly, not only hand-to-legs replacement.

So, without a feasible reason TLG will not push their evolution to this "fully-System" or "fully-Technic" ways. In opposite, now TLG is getting advantages by mixing them with amazingly-sold highly detailed sets like 42078 Mack Anthem or 12056 Ford Mustang (or recent 12095 Porsche 911). These sets have already crossed the border and got advantages of a both "worlds". I mean that if the idea works it makes no sense to stop it.

For sure, some Technic sets may contain only Technic parts. But I repeat, it is not due to willing of "getting rid of these f***ng System bricks and plates".
Personally, I would prefer having some few more 1x1 round tiles as headlights instead of a sticker over the transverse liftarm...

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

There have been completely studless sets since 1998.

lego-8203-1_xlarge.jpg

Studless yes, but the wheels are System (space actually) wheels

I guess if it is worth their while to make Technic sets with only Technic pieces, then they would do it.

You can always mod a set to have only Technic pieces if TLG product goals/requirements don't match yours.  :classic:

System parts are nearly always used for lights as there are very few transparent Technic parts. It would would look weird if every vehicle had those Bionicle eyes as lights :pir-look:

47 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Studless yes, but the wheels are System (space actually) wheels

That just opens up a whole new debate about the true definition of "studless"... :wacko:

Edited by Maaboo35

No, studless means there are no studs. A part can be studless Technic AND a System part

And a System part can studless (like a tile) and not be a Technic part also

Lastly, "studless" is also the name given to modern Technic building that uses liftarms instead of beams (aka bricks)

Any other definitions?

Edit : Apparantly, on BL "beams" are DUPLO and Znap parts. Learned something new :classic:

Edited by 1974

5 minutes ago, 1974 said:

No, studless means there are no studs. A part can be studless Technic AND a System part

And a System part can studless (like a tile) and not be a Technic part also

Lastly, "studless" is also the name given to modern Technic building that uses liftarms instead of beams (aka bricks)

Any other definitions?

You could argue that the Insectoids/UFO wheel is inherently Technic, as it attaches to a pin. Look at the air scoop part in 8465 - it first appeared in a Scala/Belville type set, but was still classified as "Technic Air Scoop". Just because it appeared in a non-Technic set first (or mainly appears in System sets) doesn't mean it isn't Technic as such. Look at the front tyres in 8296 - that would be the only appearance of those tyres in a Technic set for another five years, and in the interim they were mainly used in Racers. Yet they're still undoubtedly Technic parts.

Yeah, that's a valid point. It's better when LEGO parts from different themes actually work together, instead of being like Znap and Galidor :cannon:

It of course all depends where one draws the line between Technic and System parts, but my impression is that the recent trend (say, the last 5 years) is towards using more System parts in Technic sets.  These days it is very common for plates, tiles and slopes to be used for more realistic styling on parts of vehicles (e.g. 42083, 42042), and for little tools, accessories, and details to be included (e.g. 42082, 42100).  I think this was less common a few years ago.  (Compare e.g. 42042, 42009).

Edited by aeh5040

I would welcome a bushing without the four indentations - a feature I don't think I've ever used. I think they'd look a little cleaner and it would stop me from getting annoyed when they aren't oriented the same way :tongue:.

Something like this:

images-19.jpeg.08204f0edc928cf78807a07a83bc6a84.jpeg

Yeah, that's a feature TLG haven't used much. On top of my head I can only think of a few System boats (even pre minifig using old red bushes)

On 5/2/2021 at 10:07 AM, efferman said:

For me they can use a Znap or Duplo piece when it does its task better than a Technic part.

Totally agree!

I actually think that things like the stud gaps on the axle bushes that allow them to be fixed to studs is a good example of why Lego is one of the greatest design solutions of all time. It’s the fact that you can add system bricks to technic and vice versa that makes it so versatile, let’s not forget that if you’re primarily a technic builder who occasionally uses system parts, these things all allow your imagination to have fewer limits imposed by the medium. Things like this also allow people who are primarily system builders to augment their models with bits of technic.

one thing I love to see with builds is ingenious use of left field parts for different purposes and the fact that Lego is designed in a way that provides a vast pallet of pieces for us to “have at” in any way we can is the best feature it has.

Technic is working it's way into System sets quite a lot  as well, both Stud beams and Studless are now commonplace even in a theme like Creator 3-in-1 (look at the recent Caroussel from 2019 for example), or less visible Technic Bricks for structural strength.

I still see it as a cohesive system, rather then a seperation, of course one side has more studs, one side has more panels but both add to eachother.

Edited by TeriXeri