Hi,

Before I started on the Venom I had a couple of other projects that I was working on. Today I'd like to present one of them: A 1:10 scale replica of the Ferrari F50GT that I designed as a non-exclusive commission.

51151018396_c100da91c3_b.jpg

It has the usual features of a 1:10 scale supercar, or at least these should be the usual features I think (are you listening LEGO?):
- independent suspension on all wheels
- working steering through steering wheel or removable HoG
- a 4-speed sequential gearbox operated through a lever in the center column
- a V12 fake engine with easy access through a removable engine cover
- both doors and both clamshells can be opened

51151018366_7cf42303ec_b.jpg

As is typical for the cars from these years a black slightly upward slanted black line is part of the design. I wanted to make that brickbuilt, instead of using a sticker. There is some nifty angled framestructure behind the doors to get a sturdy solution and I am quite pleased how it turned out:

51152125665_a36caa331e_b.jpg

The rear also features some subtle angles to keep that black line continuing, but also the exhaust pipes point ever so slightly upwards.

51151018381_7f9f67d23c_b.jpg

For those interested, building instructions are available on my website. And if you have the 42125 you'll already have ~60% of the parts.

Leg godt,

Jeroen

Nice work! I’ve already seen it a while ago, but somehow it looks better on your pictures. I’ll definitely consider building this some time.

Very clean looking car, albeit the resemblance to the original is a bit lacking in some areas for me - the original has the wheelarches stick out instead of curving inwards, with the rear ones seeming almost flat - though I suppose the only solution would be fleaxles, which unfortunately seem to be almost heresy nowadays :sceptic:. Otherwise a lot of work can be seen to have been put into the stripe along the laterals, which looks fantastic. Great to see another 1:10 supercar after the Porsche-geddon)))

Spoiler

Just a photo that should show the areas I meant - the edges look more angular compared to the curved lego panels.

Ferrari-F50-GT_003.jpg

Not my kind of car, I think the front is very ugly on the real car imo, but the car does look better in LEGO form :laugh:

The bodylines flow very well, I especially like the door area. The roof scoop is the only place that look a bit off. It looks very cool completely opened.

The only thing that really bothers me are the front headlights. On your model it isn't really clear that there is supposed to be a glass cover there because the headlights are missing a visible "frame". The round pieces just look like they are exposed.

I encountered the same problems when I built my FD RX-7: narrow angle headlights, and no transparent piece that would fit. Luckily the RX-7 headlights had a black frame surrounding the glass, and I replicated it using a flex axle, and it looked good.

But that will be difficult here with the weird roundish shape of the headlights.

And I have one question: What's up with the difference in rideheight on the pictures? In the first one the rideheight seems fine, not much but enough, but in the third one the front bumper is so low it is actually toughing the ground!

Is there some kind of rideheight adjustement system? Looks like on air suspension in the third pic :grin:

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Gray Gear

This round roof kills the car IMO, I do not like to use many panels but to use them too much sometimes is worst, a normal roof one stud higher in the window frames would be better, just IMO. Of course an awesome car anyway, I have to get those mudguard panels...

23 hours ago, syclone said:

Very clean looking car, albeit the resemblance to the original is a bit lacking in some areas for me - the original has the wheelarches stick out instead of curving inwards, with the rear ones seeming almost flat - though I suppose the only solution would be fleaxles, which unfortunately seem to be almost heresy nowadays :sceptic:. Otherwise a lot of work can be seen to have been put into the stripe along the laterals, which looks fantastic. Great to see another 1:10 supercar after the Porsche-geddon)))

During the desing process I actually did use flexaxles, but it added a lot of gaps to the bodywork. These LEGO models are always a compromise and in this case closed bodywork won it over absolute scale accuracy.

23 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Not my kind of car, I think the front is very ugly on the real car imo, but the car does look better in LEGO form :laugh:

The bodylines flow very well, I especially like the door area. The roof scoop is the only place that look a bit off. It looks very cool completely opened.

The only thing that really bothers me are the front headlights. On your model it isn't really clear that there is supposed to be a glass cover there because the headlights are missing a visible "frame". The round pieces just look like they are exposed.

I encountered the same problems when I built my FD RX-7: narrow angle headlights, and no transparent piece that would fit. Luckily the RX-7 headlights had a black frame surrounding the glass, and I replicated it using a flex axle, and it looked good.

But that will be difficult here with the weird roundish shape of the headlights.

And I have one question: What's up with the difference in rideheight on the pictures? In the first one the rideheight seems fine, not much but enough, but in the third one the front bumper is so low it is actually toughing the ground!

Is there some kind of rideheight adjustement system? Looks like on air suspension in the third pic :grin:

Thanks for sharing!

I agree about that front, it is just plain ugly on the real car :laugh:.
I was actually quite pleased to find this solution for the roofscoop :cry_sad:
The lights are indeed difficult to model in LEGO technic. I did think about adding edges, but these are almost immediately so thick and massive that they distract more than they offer. Again, compromises...

I tinkered a bit with the springs in this model. At first it had hard springs, but my customer wanted a lower stance, so I changed them to soft springs.

23 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

This round roof kills the car IMO, I do not like to use many panels but to use them too much sometimes is worst, a normal roof one stud higher in the window frames would be better, just IMO. Of course an awesome car anyway, I have to get those mudguard panels...

What is it you don't like about the roof? Would you have preferred a flat roof?

23 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

I think I'm in love... What a beauty! :wub_drool:

thx

23 hours ago, Scoar Sonander said:

WOW! How do you make so many awesome models in such a small time frame? Genius! 

Well, it is my job, so I do spend a lot of time building. And of course, experience does speed things up.

Edited by Jeroen Ottens
Answered the question about the rideheight

Im surprised you managed to fit a whole V12 in there. Also looking at your 3rd pic it seems that there isn't any ground clearance 

@Jeroen Ottens

I was just trying to buy the instructions on your website but it’s telling me that they are out of stock. Which is weird because there is theoretically an infinite stock of these PDF files :laugh: 

I looked at your other instructions as well and those seem to work, just not the F50.

29 minutes ago, LvdH said:

@Jeroen Ottens

I was just trying to buy the instructions on your website but it’s telling me that they are out of stock. Which is weird because there is theoretically an infinite stock of these PDF files :laugh: 

I looked at your other instructions as well and those seem to work, just not the F50.

Thanks for letting me know. Something fishy is going on in my new website, but it seems it works again now.

Definitely don't like the look of the real car, but I do like your rendition of it. The black stripe along the side is expertly done. I personally like the roof, and think you did a good job with the roof scoop. 

I don't think a lower stance is worth the front nose actually sitting on the ground (Bugatti Chiron vibes), but if that's what the customer wanted :shrug_confused:

The black stripe is understated genius. It’s really nice to see something subtle like that done so well. 

16 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

What is it you don't like about the roof? Would you have preferred a flat roof?

Yes, I had to see the real one and to be honest I do not like very much your version, I think the front hood is too long and the roof too low and round, but it is only my opinion. I can work in a roof for months and it do not like it at all so it is my problem.

I really like this moc so since I have the LEGO set just hanging around I will build this. Thanks for the nice instructions.