seejay

Milton Bradley's 1978 Star Bird

I posted some renders a few weeks ago, and now I have finished the physical build. I'm really happy with how it turned out. The hardest bits were getting the blasters to work and getting the shape right for the white canopy sticker; lots of trial and error to fit the curve.

51146947727_7e3e60d896.jpg

And I really had fun recreating the box:
51148400964_6ffc30593d.jpg

The model was built in LDCad, build instructions in LPub3d, and renders in Blender.  I :wub: LDraw.  

@seejay That is the best creation I’ve seen in a long time! Outstanding job. Thank you for sharing. :thumbup:

If I were a pedant (which, of course, I am), I would point out that the laser-cannon that is attached to the escape pod in the original is just a single gun, whereas in your LEGO version it looks like it’s twinned.

I have a MIB Star Bird. If you need any reference pictures, please let me know.

Edited by AmperZand

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. Pedantry is welcome here.  :)  Better reference photos of the escape pod cannon would be great. Most of the reference photos I found didn't have it (I guess it was a likely bit to get lost). The ones I did find were at a low angle, from the side of the cannon and it definitely looks twinned those. 

13 hours ago, sander1992 said:

That looks great!
I am not familiar with the source. 

Thanks! The source was toy that Milton Bradley produced in the late 70s and 80s, right in the middle of the Star Wars merchandizing madness. It wasn't associated with any movie or show, just a very fun toy all on its own.

I remember playing with that toy when I was young although I didn't remember the name.  Excellent recreation, immediately recognizable to me.