1963maniac

Roller Coaster Thread

8 hours ago, BKu said:

This file contains a lot of mistakes.
I have improved it, and it can be downloaded at rebrickable as an Stud.io file: Roller Coaster 10261

Thanks much, opens no problem for me.

It’s been leaked that there’s going to be a new creator roller coaster similar to the pirate one back in 2018, this time a space coaster that releases on August 1st.  Disappointingly and showing price inflation, it’s going to be £95 (in Britain where I’m from) - that’s an increase of £25 on the last one and meanwhile the number of pieces has fallen by 49 from 923 to 874.  Apparently it contains a baby spaceman though so something good has come out of it.  Track looks to me dark blue.

What are people’s opinions on this?

I really like it. Possibly even more than the pirate one.

Now, imagine combining them together for a multi-world themed coaster? Add in a third for a jungle adventure or through ancient Egypt or something and you've got quite a trip.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:13 PM, bogieman said:

Looking forward to seeing it on Rebrickable and a video. It looks like much it is common with the Lego Coaster, which I have. Any chance you could offer a parts list that is additive to make your version from the Lego set 10261?

It took a little while, but the Roller Coaster is finished.
Building instruction availabale at: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-151319/BKu/double-chain-roller-coaster/#details

Edited by BKu
youtube movie

Love this!!! Thanks for sharing your coaster! It's a great accomplishment! That coaster changer is a cool idea! 

Quick question: are there any custom coaster track pieces from third party vendors? I know the train community has many options beyond the official R40 curves, and wondered if there were any options for coaster fans? If not I might just make a 3D model myself.

I asked my brother to print 3D tracks for the loop in my Roller Coaster. It was looking nice, but the biggest problem was that the printer could not print the studs proper, so the track didn't hold strong enough to standard LEGO pieces. 

Yes, I had that problem too. But, I just glued some Lego plates to those 3D parts to make them work.  

6 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

But, I just glued some Lego plates to those 3D parts to make them work.

100% my approach (not with regard to roller coasters, as I have none, but to challenges I can't solve otherwise - it always feels good to read such posts!)

BTW, screws (carefully selected!) in Technic beam holes and some wooden structures ... OK, yes, I don't want to derail this thread ... but wood and LEGO do go along very well. Only as far as I am concerned, of course.

Best wishes,
Thorsten

I haven't gone that far,... yet. You never know what you'll do til you have enough pressure.

On 1/9/2024 at 1:05 AM, 1963maniac said:

I haven't gone that far

Well, the founder of the LEGO company, Ole K. C. was a carpenter. And, according to Wikipedia, "Christiansen made his toy products from birch wood", which is what I do. Wait, no products, but supports ;) In other words, I am even closer to LEGO than any plastic piece can ever be ... :pir-huzzah2:

All the best,
Thorsten 

You got me thinking, sorta on a related note.- it would be really great if there was something like a Chicago Screw for Technic, especially if the heads were machined to fit flush in the recessed holes of the beams and any other parts with Technic holes.  I presume no one has ever made such a thing.  It would be akin to the old threaded axles and nut-bushings (3705b/3737b/4698).  (Which reminds me that I really should buy some of those, as I've never owned or tried any, but I'm sure they can be extremely useful.)

4 hours ago, UltraViolet said:

Chicago Screw

Oh - absolutely!!! Just googled it - never heard that term (I am German :pir-sweet:, and yes it is used in Germany as well ...) before. These are very handy for so many things - and sure for this purpose as well.

BTW: I doubt that Ole K.C. used "birchwood" for making the wooden toys (as per the above cited Wikipedia article) - I thought birch = "Buche" in German, this is what I use. I got confused with beech and birch - I am using beech for sure: Relatively cheap but really tough, almost as it were hard wood. And I just checked: The official LEGO site says: "He uses beechwood, which is first air-dried for two years, then kiln-dried for three weeks. It is then cut, sanded, polished and given three coats of varnish or paint. Just like real furniture. Ole Kirk Kristiansen demands quality at every stage of the process [...]"

Well, I get my 15x15 mm2 (x length) beech strips from a hardware store, so not sure about the drying process :pir-laugh: but I do sand, polish and give them coats - but of black acrylic paint. Anyway, the tricky part is the drilling - Technic holes are 4.8 mm in diameter. I use 5 mm drill bits, which gives me some tolerance when needing to brace Technic beams with beech posts. It works, though, and nicely - after a few tries. The "unavoidable" hole displacements when doing this on a drill press nicely add some "wooden" (soft) friction that the 5 mm hole would not create, if it were perfectly drilled. I cannot perfectly drill ... so all is in perfect order.

It really works well - I am going to post (sometime) in the Community Forum on this topic - as I just have made some (12V rail) track for the Pantasy 85007 Steampunk Railway Station, which comes - as a nice "extra" - with a suspended locomotive and carriage. Some say it is a very (very) nice display model; I say it is an extremely nice train to run on elevated track. And beechwood posts carrying and bracing the required technic trusses do a great job.

I am working in Wuppertal - hometown of the nicest (and frequented) suspended train in the world. TLG did not approve the IDEAS entry for this train - so Pantasy made an original Steampunk steam train version :pir-laugh:. It simply does not get any better - I love Steampunk. And flat gold. This set has a ton of flat (not pearl) gold pieces. And beechwood seams to be in full accordance with any LEGO purist rules, as Ole K.C. himself used this material ...

All the best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

Huh.  I always called those "binding posts and screws."  They used to be extremely common, when office supply stores were invested in selling office supplies.  I.e., back in the 60s and 70s.  In the 60s I worked for an office supply store and people bought these things by the box.  Very useful for binding books of accounting ledgers.

6 hours ago, ivanlan9 said:

"binding posts and screws."

And that is what they are called in German as well ("Buchschrauben"), but I thought it sounded not so cool as Chicago screws :pir-wink:. When assembling individual furniture parts, they are sometimes used as well, maybe they have another name? At least the IKEA stuff in our home is held together by such screws :pir-laugh:.

So far, I did not need them and took the total purist route: LEGO Technic bricks, axles, bushes - and beech wood. Doesn't get more purist ... from the historical perspective. But who knows what happens in the future ...

Best,
Thorsten

Chicago Screws were invented in Chicago by the Chicago Screw Company in 1872.  Sounds simple enough, but it seems to have really just been a nickname it picked up because of that.  They acquired many other names over the years, such as Chicago Fasteners, Chicago Bolts, Screw Post, Binding Post (books), Tee Nuts, and one I'd never heard of until now, Sex Bolts.  Perhaps we should not attempt to translate that into German!  (I learned of these fasteners first from a workshop I used to be employed by which had a section dedicated to leatherworking.  Perhaps this does not help distance myself from that latter term... :innocent:)

Just catching up with this thread.  Absolutely awesome result. Well engineered and entertaining as well.  I know a certain grandson who would love to build this, I just hope he doesn't find your YouTube videos otherwise I will be severely out of pocket! :-)