1963maniac

Roller Coaster Thread

If this doesn't belong here, please move it to a proper location.

I'm starting this topic for you to share your Roller Coaster MOCs, Ideas, photos, links, etc. There doesn't seem to be a Theme for Roller Coasters, so here we go. 

Here is my current project.

IMG_5194.JPG

Edited by 1963maniac

Yup it works. I am waiting for parts from Lego to make some improvements. Hopefully I can make a video in a month or so.

The problem is with the wheel mechanism that brings the coaster around the half circle at the top. If that system is disengaged, everything will run smoothly. But obviously you need the coaster to go around up there, whether you crank or power it.

Some MOCs use a 24738 track immediately following the chain and they do not use those wheel mech's at all. However this requires a redesign. I developed some work arounds that have increased the speed of the chain and wheel mech and cuts down on gear friction. That idea helps a lot but still is jerky and slows down. I am now thinking about powering the wheel mechs separately from the chain mech.

One day later... Problem solved! I got the chain running smooth and the wheel mechanisms working smoothly too. If you are interested, let me know.

Edited by 1963maniac

Your rollercoaster looks awesome!

On the topic of rollercoaster loops, @Masao Hidaka's recent YT video blew me away in terms of his super-creative solution to get loops and drops built. Here is the video:

@Masao Hidaka has some great ideas, especially simplifying the superstructure. I don't like building those supports on set 10261.

Here is a great entry on Lego Ideas https://ideas.lego.com/projects/0847c721-c370-4d4c-b58a-336a39c7e4e4. He has simplified the whole thing using "non brick built" supports thus making it easier to build more affordable. I wish Lego set 10261 was more like this. Consider supporting him.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:20 AM, 1963maniac said:

Here is my current project.

That's looking good

19 hours ago, Phil B said:

On the topic of rollercoaster loops, @Masao Hidaka's recent YT video blew me away in terms of his super-creative solution to get loops and drops built. Here is the video:

The idea of turning curved track sideways to get a roller coaster loop has actually been around for at least 20 years.

rc20.jpg

But it is A LOT easier with the roller coaster track.

17 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Here is a great entry on Lego Ideas https://ideas.lego.com/projects/0847c721-c370-4d4c-b58a-336a39c7e4e4. He has simplified the whole thing using "non brick built" supports thus making it easier to build more affordable.

Those supports look great and the whole build has a great form.

On 4/30/2021 at 4:05 AM, 1963maniac said:

@Masao Hidaka has some great ideas, especially simplifying the superstructure. I don't like building those supports on set 10261.

Here is a great entry on Lego Ideas https://ideas.lego.com/projects/0847c721-c370-4d4c-b58a-336a39c7e4e4. He has simplified the whole thing using "non brick built" supports thus making it easier to build more affordable. I wish Lego set 10261 was more like this. Consider supporting him.

Thank you so much for sharing my ideas project. Below are lastest 2 of 20 videos.

bit.ly/legoloop (Short link for support this Lego ideas project)

bit.ly/legoloopvideo (YouTube 20 videos)

bit.ly/legolooppic (flickr 20 render images)

There are five slow-mo shots at different angles start from the middle of this video! Added a small gimmickThe cars always hit and swing the vintage part of Finland flag 360° every time it make the banked turn.

The truss structure make it easy to attach Christmas light strip for night ride!

Edited by bbqqq

17 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Whoa! zephyr1934 that's a lot of parts!! And, a whole lot of creative thinking Whew!!

Yeah, those were some insane builds, it even uses 12v power rails as structural elements

Here is another great idea for roller coasters : the Drop coaster;  It has an elevator!!  https://ideas.lego.com/projects/56b31583-12c0-42f0-9250-6694be3ffe90

LEGO GBC Roller Coaster Scary Mimi This one has a pusher at 0:11 

Is your chain drive running a little jerky on your 10261? The problem is the wheel pushers at the top rail. If they are disengaged, the chain runs smooth! I have disengaged mine and designed a separate motor drive for it. It works great! I have also modded my chain drive to go faster.

So many roller coaster MODs are using support girders instead of stacked bricks with an axle. TLG needs to consider this building technique for the next big roller coaster set!! It would be a little cheaper and much easier to build and MOD.

Check this out!!

https://www.hellobricks.com/2018/11/looping-parfait-lego-10261-rollercoaster/

A perfect looping (and a genius idea) for the roller coaster LEGO 10261 Rollercoaster

History not to talk only Black Friday and LEGO novelties, let's change some of the subject with this impressive custom version of the LEGO Creator Expert 10261 Rollercoaster set : to look even more like a real roller coaster, Florian Lochner had fun doubling the circuit with a bonus curve and a looping loop, while keeping a very compact ... Finally, barely larger than the original set!

The stroke of genius: turn the rails 90% to perform the looping. And it works perfectly ... Is this something that LEGO had planned in the design of its rails or is it just a happy coincidence? The result is in any case both aesthetic and effective!

For the curious, the circuit is controlled by the Mindstorms EV3 which controls four M Power Functions engines: one for the climbs, one for the wheels located in the upper corners, one to open / close the doors of the passenger loading dock (with an infrared sensor), and one for the output of the train.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/168123198@N08/45159348804/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/168123198@N08/sets/72157702098098561/

Edited by 1963maniac

992bricks, Some life events have stopped my Lego hobby lately. The building instructions (BI) are here:

https://bricksafe.com/files/1963maniac/Roller Coaster 10261 Modifications_150_DPI.pdf  EDITED 9/16/2021

This BI is only for making special elements. More to follow

Satan's Spiral is the last item in there. The drawings cannot flex like ABS plastic, so they cannot be drawn correctly.

These instructions are intended for expert builders or better they are not easy at all! Any questions, just ask.

If the BI has problems, please let me know so they can be fixed. I hope you enjoy these!

Edited by 1963maniac

Here is another great design from Masao Hidaka:  I'm no longer using my design since his is stronger and easier to build, plus the loop is properly spaced to join the continuation of track.

I am working on this Rollar Coaster.
About to be finished, so that I can start working on the building instructions.

BKuRollerCoaster_3.jpg

Edited by BKu

3 hours ago, BKu said:

I am working on this Rollar Coaster.
About to be finished, so that I can start working on the building instructions.

BKuRollerCoaster_3.jpg

I would love to see a video when you get it done.

A video will be made when I launch it at Rebruickable. 
I will put info here when launched.

Looking forward to seeing it on Rebrickable and a video. It looks like much it is common with the Lego Coaster, which I have. Any chance you could offer a parts list that is additive to make your version from the Lego set 10261?

The current setup is made out of two sets 10261. From the second set I have not used all parts and used additional parts which are not in the 10261.
Most likely I will made two building instructions, one which will be the full, with all nice details in it, and another one with just the necessary structure to run it.
In the package will be a list of pieces you need extra when you have one 10261, or two 10261's.

The whole coaster is not a past and copy from the 10261, I have used building ideas out of it, but I estimate that 90% is new design.