Seo-onDaddy

[REVIEW] 42115 - Lamborghini Sian Custom Hood

A Korean Lego mania made a 42115 cyan hood.

I bought it, and I was so satisfied.
So I want to introduce it to you.

*This custom hood is currently available only in south Korea.
However, it seems that the maker is willing to sell it to other countries as well as well.
If you want to purchase it, send an email to the producer.   hogeun555@gmail.com

20210421_225824.jpg

The product composition consists of 3 pieces.
All of them are injection molds, not 3D printing.

20210421_225828.jpg

Lamborghini emblem is printed.

20210421_225918.jpg

back has pins to connect the connectors.

20210421_234518.jpg

Start assembling. Assembly is very easy.

20210421_235821.jpg

That is the part that needs to be separated.
Some of these parts are used to assemble connectors.

20210422_000317.jpg

It is a connector that connects the hood and the main body.
It says to use spare parts to make it lime, but I made it black.

20210422_000354.jpg

First, assemble the connector on the hood.

20210422_000440.jpg

Connect to the remaining part of the hood of the main body.

20210422_000451.jpg

Insert a small part into the location where the soft axle was connected.

20210422_000705.jpg

Mounting is complete. The explanation was very easy, and familiar people could fit it more easily and quickly than explanation.

It takes less than 10 minutes.

20210422_000731.jpg

Changing the hood alone changes the impression significantly.

The color fits perfectly.

20210422_000737.jpg

I thought it was a foul at first, but it looked so nice looking at other people's applied photos.

Sometimes Lego uses large chunks of dedicated parts.  I decided to think of it that way.

20210422_000745.jpg

The manufacturer initially designed it as a 3D printer and then spent a fortune to make the mold.

It is said that he worked very hard to match the color.

It is assembled smoothly and has considerable clutch power.
It's like a Lego genuine part.

It is said that the person who created it was not a company but an individual, and it was the first time to do such work.

20210422_000756.jpg

I applied the hood and it was very satisfying.

20210422_000849.jpg

20210422_000901.jpg

I hope this wonderful product will be known to many people.

12 minutes ago, Lipko said:

Why did you stop at the hood? All parts could be custom.

I think we'll get there in a few years, and I don't think it would be a bad thing. Focus on mechanical design and buy the pretty shells. Will Lego do it themselves? Never.

15 minutes ago, Lipko said:

Why did you stop at the hood? All parts could be custom.

I think so, too. Might as well buy a scale model.
But I like Lego. But I also want something cool.
Lego sometimes makes large exclusive parts. I decided to think of it that way.

8 minutes ago, Void_S said:

When the custom-made part fits the color better than TLG original ones... :sceptic:

The color fits perfectly..

I'm not into Technic but have to say - this custom hood is a complete 'game changer' for the set, creators of this are geniuses.

(Now we only have to wait till Chinese companies start selling knock-offs with this hood. :grin:)

Edited by Jack Sassy

I’m usually all for custom pieces, but this is a bit too much for me. It does look nice though.

Yea... its going to be a no from me.  Couple of reasons:

1- the rest of the body work has the typical Lego look and feel with some gaps and subtle oddities that one would expect from bricks.... and then BAM! model-like quality.  Just does not fit.  Something looks amiss.  

2 - I have come to realize that Technic body-work is under-valued and under-appreciated. Listened to a lot of the feedback by the community and I see that there is praise for the internals, the gears, the mechanisms, etc.  and a complete dismissal of the bodywork.  

But here is a recent experience of mine.  Right now I am finishing up the Centenario (@T Lego's version) and I must say, building the bodywork was not tedious at all.  The angles, the geometry, the techniques used to get there were just phenomenal.  Wonderful building experience.  Actually led me back to my model of the McLaren P1 (Bruno Jenson's creation) and I realize the same.  Looking over @Didumos69's hammerhead supercar (which is in my Lego room another model I have built) and there aren't even any panels, it is all liftarm geometry and angles) and again I am struck by how proper bodywork is not only amazing, but it very much is STEM-related.  Angles, geometry, etc.  

I think we get the notion that mechanics, gears, functions, etc. are all "Technic" whereas the bodywork is not.  I am no pro here, don't even work in the STEM field, but I have a different notion.  Bodywork, when done right, is all about angles, geometry, etc. which certainly falls in the STEM arena IMO.  

COming up with a single part that may aesthetically look better but takes away from what I just wrote about.... well, not for that at all...

Thumbs down for me...

Edited by nerdsforprez

I am very surprised at how well it looks and works, the hood opening mechanism and look is more realistic. I think that this is more of a thing for someone who wants to view the lego version as a very accurate, functional, and realistic model of the car. 

52 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

1- the rest of the body work has the typical Lego look and feel with some gaps and subtle oddities that one would expect from bricks.... and then BAM! model-like quality.  Just does not fit.  Something looks amiss.

Agreed. Can't deny how beautiful it looks, though.
If it was the full body in 10-20 big unique pieces, so they form a model-like body, with pin and axle holes to connect it to the Lego chassis, it would probably look pristine.
Not for everyone, for sure.

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

<snip>

2 - I have come to realize that Technic body-work is under-valued and under-appreciated. Listened to a lot of the feedback by the community and I see that there is praise for the internals, the gears, the mechanisms, etc.  and a complete dismissal of the bodywork.  

<snip>

From what I have seen here in the forums, good bodywork on a car often gets a lot of appreciation and deservedly so. Bodywork isn't my strong suit at all, but you're entirely correct in that doing it right requires a lot of skill and thought, it's not easy to make something look "right" with Lego, while still having it fit into the system perfectly.

25 minutes ago, howitzer said:

From what I have seen here in the forums, good bodywork on a car often gets a lot of appreciation and deservedly so. Bodywork isn't my strong suit at all, but you're entirely correct in that doing it right requires a lot of skill and thought, it's not easy to make something look "right" with Lego, while still having it fit into the system perfectly.

Agreed.  Perhaps I should have been more specific.  My take is that it gets appreciated in terms of all the "OOOoooos" and "Ahhhhhs" but dismissed as "aesthetic" and not-Technic.   My recent epiphany indicates, at least to me, that bodywork can be mathematical and technical, as well as aesthetic, all at the same time....

52 minutes ago, Milan said:

Agreed. Can't deny how beautiful it looks, though.
If it was the full body in 10-20 big unique pieces, so they form a model-like body, with pin and axle holes to connect it to the Lego chassis, it would probably look pristine.
Not for everyone, for sure.

Well, the TLG's wheel arches used in Sian model were already a half-way to this result.

As a Technic fan, I didn't like how TLG acted by making such parts, that was too far from LEGO logic. A one more Galidor for me :sick:
However, as a human, I really like how accurate and precise it was made! :thumbup:

Sure, it does look good.
But it is 1000 miles away from the Lego spirit...

8 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

I'm not into Technic but have to say - this custom hood is a complete 'game changer' for the set, creators of this are geniuses.

(Now we only have to wait till Chinese companies start selling knock-offs with this hood. :grin:)

Hahaha. China is a game changer.

8 hours ago, LvdH said:

I’m usually all for custom pieces, but this is a bit too much for me. It does look nice though.

I felt the same way at first.
But I was so jealous when Korean buyers started posting pictures.   So I bought it in a hurry on the second sale.

4 hours ago, Anio said:

Sure, it does look good.
But it is 1000 miles away from the Lego spirit...

I think it depends on the values you feel.
Lego has many exclusive parts for certain models and aftermarket has many customized parts.
I don't think it's a 1000 miles from Lego. I think Lego expands that much and that's the spirit of Lego.

Please tell me how sbricks and buwizzes are not kinda the same thing from a purist's perspective.

Yet we celebrate them and take them for almost official parts. LEGO  did catch up with the BT connectivity and custom controls though.

14 hours ago, Seo-onDaddy said:

It is said that he worked very hard to match the color.

To which one of thousand shades? :)

34 minutes ago, GTS said:

Please tell me how sbricks and buwizzes are not kinda the same thing from a purist's perspective.

Yet we celebrate them and take them for almost official parts. LEGO did catch up with the BT connectivity and custom controls though.

I imagine that purists like you describe would rather be "effortists". For everyone besides the original creator, slapping on a pre-formed hood piece could almost be seen as cheating, as it's getting around the effort of trying to faithfully recreate something using Lego. Using an sbrick or Buwizz generally isn't seen as being at odds with this, as you still need to put in effort to make the rest of the car, not to mention the inability of Lego to do what they do.

Well, this hood is definitely a one-purpose part. Even the rims of the UCS cars can be used as rims in other similar cars.
The mudguard pieces can be used as mudguars in any other car in the same scale range.
You can argue that the drum in the cement mixer is a one-purpose piece, but it was a generic mixer, so at least you can build another mixer with it (4 axle, 3 axle whatever).

So dunno, maybe, yeah, whatever

You can just buy this one and get rid of those pesky LEGO bricks

101958-1.jpg

3 hours ago, GTS said:

Yet we celebrate them and take them for almost official parts. LEGO  did catch up with the BT connectivity and custom controls though.

From a purist perspective maybe, but I don't think those who say this is too much say that from a purist perspective, more of a practical one I guess. This part can only be used to build the Sian, which for many (including myself), does go against Lego spirit. And I even think that the original build is not bad, it captures the curves nicely and the lines connect well, which I think is more important than covering all gaps, so I don't really see a great need for this piece. Even the drum of the cement mixer is better, because it does fill a need (you could not build that from existing parts), and as noted above, could be used to build another cement mixer (or a boat, as I saw on Rebrickable).

On the other hand, SBrick and BuWizz do fill a need, and they can be used in building all kinds of stuff. Even now that TLG caught up with BT, there is enough void for BuWizz 3.0 to fill as a genuine need (and that's not even power, but rechargability, size, weight, number of output ports).

Regarding mudguard pieces, I am also not completely satisfied with their general design, as to me it seems really difficult to make connections to them that have continuity of curves and lines, to my eye, there's always a break around them, like they are sticking out.

I feel that this hood-piece, while in itself is magnificent, doesn't flow that well with the rest of the car. It's too clean and perfect, while elsewhere there are lots of gaps, seams and pinholes so I'd say it's the right piece in the wrong place. Of course adding more similar panels would change the overall look enough for it to fit in, but that would require more other single-use parts.

Single-use parts like the Liebherr bucket are generally frowned upon, but in the case of buckets and stuff like the Cement mixer drum they have their place, as it's simply impossible to make a proper brick-built one. In my opinion the original shaping of the Sian hood looks nice, and while this custom part is even better, it isn't at all necessary to make a proper-looking Sian.

Above being said, if someone likes the piece and wants to have one, I have absolutely no problem with that. It's Lego, and it's yours so do with it whatever you wish.

It is not for me but if you like to do it good for you, is this for a Lego forum?, this is the eternal question.

2 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

It is not for me but if you like to do it good for you, is this for a Lego forum?, this is the eternal question.

I don't see why not. Custom rims and electronics are allowed