Rubblemaker

[MOC] 84.5cm long Rebel Alliance Corvus Raider from Star Wars Battlefront 2

Hi all, this is my latest MOC, The Rebel Alliance Corvus from Star Wars Battlefront 2

MOC - Rebel Alliance Corvus

Halfway through the story campaign for the game, Iden Versio, Commander of Inferno Squad, defects to the Rebel Alliance taking the Imperial Corvus Raider with her.

The ship is given a new republic style overhaul and a flash new paint job (which still manages to look worn out). At 84.5 cm long, about 5,000 pieces and 8 kilos in weight, this is my recreation of that ship in LEGO bricks, made mostly using the SNOT technique.

And here is me for scale:

Huge thanks to Jerac for his help and advice whilst I was creating this, without whom, at one point I would have binned the whole project. You can see more in my Flickr album at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164260086@N06/albums/72157719046483104

Or follow me on Instagram: @rubblemaker_lego

Thanks for looking. :)

Edited by Rubblemaker

Mmm so sleek and smooth - I really like this build, looks great and its a lot larger than you think when you first see the pics.  Great job!

Very well done, I like it a lot. Very faithful to the video game model.

Thanks for sharing!

This is stunning. The Corvus is one of my favourite Imperial ship designs, my instinct would've been to go for the Empire's one but the NR paint scheme looks terrific. Amazing work!

22 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

This is stunning. The Corvus is one of my favourite Imperial ship designs, my instinct would've been to go for the Empire's one but the NR paint scheme looks terrific. Amazing work!

Thanks very much :) Yeah, I think most people’s instinct would be to go for the Imperial version, in fact it is. That’s pretty much the only Corvus that is ever made in Lego. Just as most people make Imperial Star Destroyers. But I like to challenge that a bit and make stuff that everybody else isn’t making. I did the same with my last moc, The Gladiator Class Star Destroyer. It’s about time some of these lesser known ships got some Lego TLC ;)

Edited by Rubblemaker

You are on a nice roll. Didn’t you just make that other huge imperial ship only the other week?

31 minutes ago, LDigital said:

You are on a nice roll. Didn’t you just make that other huge imperial ship only the other week?

Lol, the Gladiator. Yeah, that was me too. In my head that was about 16 years ago.. but in real time I finished it one month ago. I’m about to embark on a mammoth instructions making project for this and the Gladiator though so don’t expect another giant ship from me in another months time... maybe 2 though.. ;)

2 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

Great job! I don't know how you do it... :blush:

No... me neither.... :sceptic:

1 hour ago, Bob De Quatre said:

Nicely done. As many here I prefer the imperial Corvus, but anyway...

The area I'm not digging is the sort of tanks on the rear of the "wings". The printed tiles looks weird, and you used brackets to attach the semi-domes where you could have used 99206 modified plates with studs on sides

Hmmm... well, there are plenty of choices regarding the Imperial Corvus as it's the only one people ever seem to make. Nice to see something new occasionally isn't it? ;)

regarding the tanks... I'm afraid I'm going to have to completely disagree with you on that one. The modified plates are way too thick for that area and as for the printed tiles... well, I think mine next to the reference material speaks for itself. I think I nailed it pretty accurately:

comparison

1 hour ago, Rubblemaker said:

Hmmm... well, there are plenty of choices regarding the Imperial Corvus as it's the only one people ever seem to make. Nice to see something new occasionally isn't it? ;)

regarding the tanks... I'm afraid I'm going to have to completely disagree with you on that one. The modified plates are way too thick for that area and as for the printed tiles... well, I think mine next to the reference material speaks for itself. I think I nailed it pretty accurately:

comparison

Yes I understand why you prefered to build the Rebel version, and I agree it's nice to see something new now and then :)

Looking at your reference picture, I have to agree that those printed tiles are the right choice, but it still feels strange to me because I see them as control panels ;)

2 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

I see them as control panels ;)

Lol, not that I want to give you anxiety but I used a couple of control panel printed pieces as greebling in the mid section too :wink: 

Rebel Alliance Corvus - Detail comparison2

4 hours ago, Jerac said:

Very good. I am glad I could help!

:thumbup: :grin: 

Edited by Rubblemaker

its incredible that you are able to pop something like this out in around 3-4 weeks by hand.  I am interested in what approach you take when designing.  Do you have huge lot of bricks and just keep messing around until it takes shape or are you building modules or something.  

I am feeling kind of inspired, 

24 minutes ago, LDigital said:

Do you have huge lot of bricks and just keep messing around until it takes shape or are you building modules or something.  

Pretty much both. After I'd finished the Gladiator I spent about a week scouring the net looking for something to fill the void before settling on the Corvus. Then I downloaded as many images of it as I could find and spent a few days studying every single square mm of it. By chance around this time I'd also just bought a gigantic joblot of lbg Lego from eBay which happened to contain hundreds of bricks in it. It was around then that I thought I might have enough to attempt a SNOT build.

Then it was just a case of .. building I guess. I partition a ship into sections in my mind and build it in those sections. Once I have enough of these I usually tackle a frame to hold them all together. Then it's just a case of keeping on going. I have a saying before I start every moc.. 'I'm going to keep on building until I can't figure out a way to keep on building.' 

With this one that almost happened and then I contacted Jerac to ask for his advice as he employs the snot technique to incredible effect. He was amazingly helpful and saved the build as I was about to give up, by giving me pointers on how to do this technique properly. 

So in short, yes, I just build. Mess around, tear it up, build it again, iterate, re-iterate, study pictures of it and hope to god I'll have enough pieces to see it through to the end (usually placing multiple small Bricklink orders along the way as I think of ideas I don't have the pieces for).

Sorry... long answer but.. there's no quick way to explain it all. :)

1 minute ago, Rubblemaker said:

Pretty much both. After I'd finished the Gladiator I spent about a week scouring the net looking for something to fill the void before settling on the Corvus. Then I downloaded as many images of it as I could find and spent a few days studying every single square mm of it. By chance around this time I'd also just bought a gigantic joblot of lbg Lego from eBay which happened to contain hundreds of bricks in it. It was around then that I thought I might have enough to attempt a SNOT build.

Then it was just a case of .. building I guess. I partition a ship into sections in my mind and build it in those sections. Once I have enough of these I usually tackle a frame to hold them all together. Then it's just a case of keeping on going. I have a saying before I start every moc.. 'I'm going to keep on building until I can't figure out a way to keep on building.' 

With this one that almost happened and then I contacted Jerac to ask for his advice as he employs the snot technique to incredible effect. He was amazingly helpful and saved the build as I was about to give up, by giving me pointers on how to do this technique properly. 

So in short, yes, I just build. Mess around, tear it up, build it again, iterate, re-iterate, study pictures of it and hope to god I'll have enough pieces to see it through to the end (usually placing multiple small Bricklink orders along the way as I think of ideas I don't have the pieces for).

Sorry... long answer but.. there's no quick way to explain it all. :)

That is a great response.  

What was it that you struggled with the most that made you want to give up, before Jerac gave you some pointers?

It boggles my mind how you would be able to create instructions from that if you did it so organically.  Its kind of how I would probably do it too though.

28 minutes ago, LDigital said:

That is a great response.  

What was it that you struggled with the most that made you want to give up, before Jerac gave you some pointers?

It boggles my mind how you would be able to create instructions from that if you did it so organically.  Its kind of how I would probably do it too though.

I was basically sticking bricks together at 90 degrees the wrong angle! Jerac told me that snot is easy to do but easy to get wrong in an unfixable way. And he was right as there was no way forward the way I was doing it and I had to start over from scratch (about a week in, so in all, the build you see in these photos was actually about 2.5 weeks in the making).

As for instructions.. I was thinking about them whilst building.. is what I'm doing something that could be 'sold' as a building technique? ... that sort of thing. I happen to know someone in my LUG who is not only an excellent moc maker in his own right but also a wizard with Stud.io and he will be making the instructions from photos of the ship. Fortunately, the way I created it, it can be separated into sections quite easily for photographing without having to actually 'take it apart'.

Edited by Rubblemaker

8 hours ago, Anarchyy said:

Is this to scale with any lego set?

It’s half a cm longer than the UCS Falcon. But considerably ‘slimmer’. As for actual real life (in universe) scale.. I have no idea. I don’t really build sets so don’t pay much attention to them.

Edited by Rubblemaker