Ayrlego

Rebuilding Terraversa - Era II, Challenge IV - RESULTS Posted!

12 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

How is everyone tracking for Part 2?

Would there be any interest in a short extension to the deadline?

Part One results will be released within the next 12 hours!

Yeah BrickWolf, CapOnBOBS, Ross Fisher, and I want some competition for D, E, & F!

Edited by evancelt

Results | Part One - Rebuilding

Category A: Repairing the Gateway

King's Port has been a hive of activity since the withdrawal of the occupying forces of Oleon as the citizens attempt to restore the 'Gateway' to it's former glory. Oldis appears to have solidified his position as leader of Terraversa with his potential rivals failing to secure any serious support (+1 internal stability for TER - New value = 4) . The rebuilding has not been as fast as Oldis would have liked; however, it is proceeding at a steady pace. Eslandolan trade companies have made their presence felt in the city, with the East Wind Trade Company establishing a headquarters and MAESTRO helping rebuild the harbour defences. Eslandola is also rumoured to have assisted in financing the repairs to Oldis' own palace (+1 NPC Royal Residence for Kingsport, EGS income for TER). In an attempt to re-normalise diplomatic relations, Oleon established an embassy and commissioned a war memorial.  Meanwhile independent contractors repaired the cities extensive sewage system (+20% income for Sea Rat ships trading in KP for the next 2 MRCAs).

1st Place @Ayrlego: x1 free large property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 5 ship license (micro build required for activation) note - prize will be donated to EWTC

2nd Place @CapOnBOBS: x1 free medium property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 4 ship license (micro build required for activation)

3rd Place @Capt Wolf: x1 free small property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 3 ship license (micro build required for activation)

Category B: Loyalist Stronghold

Nola Mar has sprung forward in an attempt to assert it's significance on Terraversa as fitting the capital of the Kingdom of Light's newest territory. While there was some talk initially for making Nola Mar a military stronghold controlled by the army, the clerics of the Faith have quickly and overwhelmingly taken control (+1 NPC Royal Art and Culture for Nola Mar - No EGS income). Activity in Nola Mar over the period was higher than in either of the other two capitals (+4 Large NPC residences for Nola Mar, income to OL).

1st Place @CapOnBOBS: x1 free large property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 5 ship license (micro build required for activation)

2nd Place @Ayrlego: x1 free medium property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 4 ship license (micro build required for activation)

3rd Place @Thomas Waagenaar: x1 free small property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 3 ship license (micro build required for activation)

Category C: A Fresh Start

It would seem the L'Olius is prepared to listen to his advisors, specifically those advocating for an initial expansion to the agrarian industries for the new Commonwealth (+1 NPC Royal Plantation for Westface, EGS income for COT). Corrington lost no time expanding their trading presence in Westface, with the ETTC opening a new factory and market as well as financing windmills. Oleon too has taken an interest in the new nation, financing an Iron mine, sawmill and bank (+1 diplomatic relation with COT - New value 4 'Unfriendly')

1st Place @Ayrlego: x1 free large property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 5 ship license (micro build required for activation)

2nd Place @Bregir: x1 free medium property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 4 ship license (micro build required for activation)

3rd Place @CapOnBOBS: x1 free small property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 3 ship license (micro build required for activation)

Participation Bonus: Players who submitted a valid entry for Part One are eligible to choose one of the following:

• One free Class 3 ship licence (to be activated by microbuild)
  • One free small property licence for any location (activated by microbuild)
  • One free medium property licence for any settlement on Terraversa (activated by microbuild)

Eligible Players for Part One:

@CapOnBOBS, @Thomas Waagenaar@Professor Thaum@Capt Wolf@Faladrin@Ross Fisher@KotZ@LM71Blackbird@Faladrin,  @Bregir

In addition to the above, builders who rank number one in category for their faction may upgrade their participation bonus licences as follows:

• One free Class 4 ship licence (to be activated by microbuild)
  • One free medium property licence for any location (activated by microbuild)
  • One free large property licence for any settlement on Terraversa (activated by microbuild)

Eligible Players for upgrade: @Professor Thaum @Capt Wolf @Faladrin @CapOnBOBS @LM71Blackbird @Bregir

note: As host I disqualified myself from this bonus.

All micro licenses must be used prior to 1st October 2021.

Congratulations to all!

And a small question about the participation bonus, it says: "Part One and/or Part Two will be eligible to choose one of the following for each part they enter".

Does that mean that if I for example only did Part 1 (so far) I can make one of those on the list? And that when I submit my thing for part 2 I can choose two of the things on that list? Or am I reading it wrong?

And if I'm reading it correctly, is it possible to pick the same reward twice? I.e. 2x Free Class 3 ship?

Congrats to the winners. :pir-huzzah2:

I am still puzzled about Digital entries for contests 3 winning builds for a same player with all 3 Digital builds in all the 3 categories ... well , at the least, it's surprising; at the worst it's... well... not fair.

This is one of the rarest time where my personal evaluation of the builds is sooo... different from the judges' one.

I know I have my own criterias ad I know I could be not fan of Digital entries but this time I differently see the results of the contest. (not that I was expecting to win, I admit my builds were a little bit rushed for a clear lack of time)

It's conforting me in the idea that the Terraversa Conflict should have been resolved by the contest.

It would have attract more players. Exausted less some others (myself being in this category) and would have found a better and more realistic resolution for such a conflict for an Age of Sail war.

Just my two cents here, no offense. But I would consider to lower my participation in the future.

I congratulate all winners and thank everyone who took part.:pir-huzzah2:

1 hour ago, Faladrin said:

Congrats to the winners. :pir-huzzah2:

I am still puzzled about Digital entries for contests 3 winning builds for a same player with all 3 Digital builds in all the 3 categories ... well , at the least, it's surprising; at the worst it's... well... not fair.

This is one of the rarest time where my personal evaluation of the builds is sooo... different from the judges' one.

I know I have my own criterias ad I know I could be not fan of Digital entries but this time I differently see the results of the contest. (not that I was expecting to win, I admit my builds were a little bit rushed for a clear lack of time)

It's conforting me in the idea that the Terraversa Conflict should have been resolved by the contest.

It would have attract more players. Exausted less some others (myself being in this category) and would have found a better and more realistic resolution for such a conflict for an Age of Sail war.

Just my two cents here, no offense. But I would consider to lower my participation in the future.

I understand what you mean. @CapOnBOBS has explicitly asked beforehand if digital builds are permitted. He didn't do anything wrong. He was hardworking and enjoyed building.

Digital builds also allow people who have few bricks to take part in the competition. Otherwise, only people with many bricks can win.

One could ban digital build in a competition, or could make a compromise at the next competition and stipulate that 1 digital build is allowed per participant. I think so nobody is disadvantaged and everyone is satisfied.

The rules for digital builds have been discussed extensively in court, and there is broad agreement about the current rules. You guys are welcome to discuss it (constructively), but the court is unlikely to take it up again at this stage.

@Faladrin I understand where you're coming from. I prefer physical builds myself. That said, I think as a way to level the playing field (and make competitions like this accessible to people with fewer bricks available) I think it should be allowed. The skills required aren't exactly the same, but both are on a similar level of complexity. 

3 hours ago, Faladrin said:

While it's true a big war would have attracted new players, I think at the time it was likely that a big war also would have lost some current players :pir-huzzah2:

Congrats to the winners! Nice builds all around

Edited by evancelt

Congrats to all the winners and I am super happy to see BOBS thriving with a LOT of submissions! 

I've said before and say again, this is a really well built challenge, great job @Ayrlego and court for building it. 

I know the comment on digital builds isn't personal but also is specifically referencing my builds. So to start, @Faladrin, we are still good.

Beyond my own use/enjoyment of digital building, I think it is a REALLY important way to remove a barrier-to-entry. Having enough bricks to really participate would be cost prohibitive to many who would/may someday otherwise be active members. 

As for "wars" I do think the war was a fun dynamic... sorta... I think it is a great fun exciting dynamic that REALLY stresses the game/system when it is player faction vs player faction. If we were all in a major war against an NPC I think that would be best of all worlds... maybe... at some point. I am glad the player "vs" player war is over. 

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2021 at 7:29 PM, Ayrlego said:

How is everyone tracking for Part 2?

Would there be any interest in a short extension to the deadline?

I certainly wouldn't object, as I'm behind on my Part 2 build, but I'm determined to get it ready regardless if the deadline stands.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2021 at 3:00 AM, Ayrlego said:

Results | Part One - Rebuilding

Congrats to all the winners, and to everyone who submitted builds in Part 1. There are some really outstanding builds, and collectively I think all the builds have really added some depth to the Brick Seas! :thumbup:

An extension of the deadline could work for me too. Seems like the court is setting some excellent examples. :pir-hmpf::pir-huzzah2:

25 minutes ago, Bregir said:

An extension of the deadline could work for me too. Seems like the court is setting some excellent examples. :pir-hmpf::pir-huzzah2:

:pir-huzzah2: May 17th, @Ross Fisher! That was some epic foresight :pir-grin: 

Edited by evancelt

I'm inclined to agree, a one/two week extension would allow me to take care of some other stuff first too...

Also, my question hasn't been solved yet :p

About the participation bonus, it says: "Part One and/or Part Two will be eligible to choose one of the following for each part they enter".

Does that mean that if I for example only did Part 1 (so far) I can make one of those on the list? And that when I submit my thing for part 2 I can choose two of the things on that list? Or am I reading it wrong?

And if I'm reading it correctly, is it possible to pick the same reward twice? I.e. 2x Free Class 3 ship?

5 hours ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Yes, if you are eligible for the participation reward for both parts, you are able to choose the same reward twice. Apologies for not answering sooner.

11 hours ago, evancelt said:

May 17th

I know. I'm sorry that I didn't give you the chance to build something more elaborate. I was very aware that my bricks would be in storage by this stage, and I wanted to take part. And I couldn't even begin to find time for digital bricks. 

5 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Yes, if you are eligible for the participation reward for both parts, you are able to choose the same reward twice. Apologies for not answering sooner.

I think the question was as much to eligibility. And to be honest, I am not too sure myself, so I will defer to you :pir-tongue:

6 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Ah okay, thanks!

And no worries, I just wasn't sure if the question had drowned between the other replies or not 😅

Congratulations to all the winners! In this period I cannot be very active, but I followed all the great builds you published!

Very nice writing up of the conclusions too!

On 7/19/2021 at 10:31 PM, evancelt said:

While it's true a big war would have attracted new players, I think at the time it was likely that a big war also would have lost some current players

About wars, I think the main problem was that nobody really know how to manage it…

In Oleon we wanted to defeat TV with a blitz war, closing the match in a couple of turns, basically to avoid a general extension of the conflict. For this reason a challenge didn’t seem a good option, since it would have likely been everyone against Oleon and would have made our long preparations in terms of ships and troops basically pointless.

However, we all remained blocked in a long standoff (the “siege”), as the leadership tried to define balanced rules for things that were already happening and basically everyone tried to stretch them in a way or the other… so everyone had the feeling that things were unfair.

I think that now things would go more smoothly and with far less inter-player grievance, but I hope not to see two PC factions fighting too soon!

7 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

I know. I'm sorry that I didn't give you the chance to build something more elaborate. I was very aware that my bricks would be in storage by this stage, and I wanted to take part. And I couldn't even begin to find time for digital bricks. 

Haha no need to be sorry - glad to have it done early!

Ok, it seems there is broad support for an extension; which in the interest of full disclosure, is also great for me as it means I don't have to rush my Cat E entry which is nearly but not quite finished!!!

So, how does the Sunday 22 August sound to all? It's a big challenge and we currently don't have advanced plans for the next challenge, so an extra month seems reasonable and should give us all time for some additional entries. 

To be fair to members who have submitted CAT D, E and F entries prior to today to the original deadline (tomorrow), I think a small bonus in score would be reasonable to be awarded - or alternatively they can modify or update their entry if they so desire. Also, I am very happy for members to submit multiple entries for these categories if they are inspired - although only the highest scoring entry will be eligible for rewards. 

7 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

to members who have submitted CAT D, E and F entries prior to today, I think a small bonus in score would be reasonable

I'll take that bonus.

Sounds good but I disagree with the bonus of "prior to today". Some people could be almost done and have it done before the old deadline and now miss out on the score because they scheduled for that.

I'd say anyone who posts before the old deadline (midnight Sunday 25th) should receive said bonus, rather than from today (Friday 23rd)

5 hours ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Sounds good but I disagree with the bonus of "prior to today". Some people could be almost done and have it done before the old deadline and now miss out on the score because they scheduled for that.

I'd say anyone who posts before the old deadline (midnight Sunday 25th) should receive said bonus, rather than from today (Friday 23rd)

I agree, my post should read prior to the original deadline