Ayrlego

Rebuilding Terraversa - Era II, Challenge IV - RESULTS Posted!

Link to Terraversa Guide: Jamies Farstrider's Guide to Terraversa

51101360001_ea5b616431_z.jpg

Part One - Rebuilding

There are three categories in part one. To enter part one, builders must submit builds for at least two categories. Players who submit builds for all three categories will gain a small bonus for their faction.

Rules for Part One builds:

• Builds must meet a size requirement of: minimum 16x16 footprint, maximum 32x32 footprint.
  • Builds must be licensable under EGS rules (although there is no requirement to license them).
  • All entries must be linked in this thread with the category and side you are building for clearly stated.

Individual prizes awarded for each part one category as follows:

- 1st Place individual: x1 free large property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 5 ship license (micro build required for activation)

- 2nd Place individual: x1 free medium property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 4 ship license (micro build required for activation)

- 3rd Place individual: x1 free small property license (micro build required for activation, usable anywhere) OR x1 free Class 3 ship license (micro build required for activation)

Due Date for Part One builds: midnight Sunday June 27th any time zone

Category A: Repairing the Gateway 

For over a century King's Port stood as the indisputable gateway to the new world. Now; a six month siege and vicious street-to-street fighting have left the great city in ruins. Arch Duke Oldis knows that his loss in the battle for King's Port and the subsequent partitioning for Terraversa have left his position as leader of the Grand Duchy weak. It is rumoured wealthy and powerful merchants are already building alliances and plotting to replace him. He must act swiftly if he is to remain in power (or some say even to keep his head on his shoulders!). As such his first step must be to re-establish King's Port as commercial powerhouse it once was. This means rebuilding - fast! As such he will accept any help he can get.

For this category, each builder must choose to either support Oldis, or work against him by supporting his shadowy opponents in a race to rebuild King's Port. Your build must show efforts to rebuild or repair existing commercial ventures or infrastructure in King's Port in support for your chosen side. Construction work should feature in your build and your story should clearly include an element of how the build relates to your support either for or against Oldis.

Category A Index of Entries:

An Easterly Wind in King's PortCOR | Pro Oldis | @Ayrlego

No Worse Enemy, No Better Friend | OL | Pro Oldis | @CapOnBOBS

Terraversan War Memorial | OL | Pro Oldis | @Thomas Waagenaar

A matter of hygiene | SR | Against Oldis | @Professor Thaum

Priorities | ESL | Pro Oldis | @Capt Wolf

Repairing the watchtower | ESL | Pro Oldis | @Faladrin

Category B: Loyalist Stronghold

At the time of independence from Mardier, Nola Mar was a small but prosperous town on the northern coast of Terraversa. After independence it became the hub for a return to Imperial rule, with monarchists turning to The Kingdom of Light; Oleon, for leadership in the absence left by Mardier. Having achieved union with Oleon, loyalist Terraversans are determined to show their misguided countrymen in the two 'free' Terraversas the superiority of order and tradition over chaos and greed. Two main factions have emerged with differing strategies on raising Nola Mar to glory: A program of religious and cultural works (the clerics), or a program of military works (the generals). 

For this category builders must choose to support either the clerics, or the generals. Your build must clearly show your chosen side developing, expanding or establishing properties to strengthen their position. Clerics will focus on the construction of temples, monasteries, art galleries etc. Generals will focus on military and defensive buildings such as armouries, barracks, munitions production etc. Your story should explain how your proponents will use your build to support their cause.

Category B Index of Entries:

Silhouette's Umbran CameosOL |Pro cleric | @Ross Fisher

Art Gallery | OL | Pro cleric | @KotZ

Shrine of the RecoveryOL | Pro cleric | @CapOnBOBS

Nola Mar Priory | COR | Pro cleric| @Ayrlego

A Little Help | SR | Pro cleric | @Professor Thaum

Military Supply Depot | COR | Pro generals| @LM71Blackbird

Faith on the Water | OL | Pro cleric| @Thomas Waagenaar

The Shell of ArtemisESL | Pro cleric | @Capt Wolf

Get Ready and Fire | ESL | Pro generals | @Faladrin

Tensions in Nola MarCOR | Pro cleric | @Bregir

Category C: A Fresh Start

Westface has always been second place to King's Port. Originally established as a logistics hub to supply King's Port with agriculture produce from the Great Plantations that dominate the South Eastern landscape, its population is largely made up of craftsmen and artisans of mixed Mardierian-Atwi heritage, much like it's leader, Grand Admiral L'Olius. L'Olius is a master naval tactician and has never displayed any sign that this competence extends to the mundane administrative tasks that are necessary to keep his fledging nation afloat. There are two schools of thought amongst L'Olius' advisors: those who believe the Commonwealth should concentrate on it's agrarian roots and raw material production such as timber or minerals (the agrarians); and those who believe the Commonwealth should refocus on rivalling King's Port as a mercantile trading hub (the traders).

For this category builders must choose to support the agrarians or traders.You build must clearly show your chosen side developing, expanding or establishing properties to strengthen their position. Agrarians will focus on the production and export of raw materials such as sugar cane, minerals, timber, etc. Traders will focus on markets, exchanges, banking etc. Your story should explain how your proponents will use your build to support their cause.

Category C Index of Entries:

Wood for the reconstruction | OL | Pro agrarian | @Thomas Waagenaar

The Crimson Mill | COR | Pro agrarian | @Ayrlego

Little Drake Iron MineOL | Pro agrarian | @CapOnBOBS

Westface Market | COR | Pro traders | @LM71Blackbird

Bank | OL | Pro traders| @KotZ

Any Army marches on its stomachCOR | Pro agrarian | @Bregir

Part Two - Consequences

Due Date for Part Two builds: midnight Sunday July 25th August 22nd (any time zone)

Category D: Check Point Silitholina

Nowhere is the partitioning of Terraversa felt more than the town of Silitholina. Sitting astride the river Sil, Silitholina is now divided in two by the new border. Here, the town's people on the north bank finds themselves in Olean territory, while those on the south bank are ruled by Westface. How will the towns adapt? How will the authorities deal with the situation?

This category is a collaborative build. Builders should form teams of between two and four people and build a series of scenes showing how the divide is managed by the people or authorities in Silitholina. For example a team might choose to show a bridge that has become a border crossing. One build might depict the North Side of the bridge, the other the South side. Other suggestions include families divided by the border and whether they choose to migrate or to remain on opposite sides; or how traders set up their businesses to cope with the split. Whatever you decide, your scenes must show both the North and South sides of the town. Teams are encouraged to contain members of different factions.

Size: unlimited

Category Prizes:

1st Place: Each member of the winning team will receive one free large property licence (mircobuild required to activate) to be placed in either North or South Silitholina (at least one prize licence must be placed in each).

2nd Place: Each member of the second place team will receive one free medium property licence (mircobuild required to activate) to be placed in either North or South Silitholina (at least one prize licence must be placed in each).

3rd Place: Each member of the third place team will receive one free small property licence (mircobuild required to activate) to be placed in either North or South Silitholina (at least one prize licence must be placed in each).

Category D Index of Entries:

Team: @Ross Fisher / @evancelt : Sil Channel Crossing / Sil Channel Crossing

Half Team : @Professor Thaum / @Faladrin : The Terraversa Crab Basket Part 7 - Smuggled Delicacy / ...

Team: @Thomas Waagenaar / @KotZ / @Bregir : Checkpoint North / Center-River Trading Zone / Checkpoint South

Half team: @CapOnBOBS Customs House and Pivot Bridge / ...

Category E: The Cross Roads

The interior of Terraversa has always been largely untouched by Madrician colonisation. Here the Atwi people live much the same as they did hundreds of years ago. Now the diplomats at the Pamu Conference have proposed the interior be reserved for the Atwi people with neutrality guaranteed. Trade roads and a trading post at the crossroads have also been proposed and Madrician and Terraversan trading companies compete for a presence in the interior. The Atwi; however, lacked representation at the Pamu Conference. How they feel about this arrangement is unknown.

For this category, builders must build a scene showing trading within the interior. Your scene could feature the establishment of the cross roads trading post, scenes of the trade road or attempts to trade with one of the many Atwi villages in the interior. Regardless of what you depict, the Atwi should be represented in some way. Members of chartered trade companies are encouraged to collaborate and coordinate their builds. If a member's build is on behalf of a trade company, they must clearly state that in their entry. 

Size: Footprint must meet a minimum of 32x32 and may not exceed a maximum of 48x48

Category Prizes:

1st Place: If the winning entry is from a representative of a chartered trade company, then that company will receive a trading bonus of 10 percent yield for every licensed commercial build anywhere on Terraversa. If the winning entry is from a non-trade company, then that individual will receive a trading bonus of 20 percent yield for every licensed commercial build in the interior (Atwi) territory and one free large commercial warehouse (with a 20 percent bonus in yield) in a Terraversan settlement of their choice. 

2nd Place: If the runner up entry is from a representative of a chartered trade company, then that company will receive a trading bonus of 5 percent yield for every licensed commercial build anywhere on Terraversa. If the winning entry is from a non-trade company, then that individual will receive a trading bonus of 10 percent yield for every licensed commercial build in the interior (Atwi) territory and one free medium commercial warehouse (with a 10 percent bonus in yield) in a Terraversan settlement of their choice. 

Category E Index of Entries:

ETTC Traders Along The Trade Road | COR | @evancelt | ETTC

RNTC Way Station | OL | @CapOnBOBS

ETTC Villa | COR | @Ayrlego

Category F: Smugglers Den

As a gateway of trade, Terraversa has also always been a focal point for smugglers and pirates. Before the war, these rouges used Westface as a convenient base away from the authorities in King's Port (and some say with L'Olius' full knowledge and approval...). Now with a large Corlander presence in Westface; and L'Olius looking to become a respectable world leader, these pirates and smugglers have had to look for a new base for their nefarious activities in the seas around Terraversa. Luckily, the chaos of war and good old common greed seems to have created an opportunity in the hitherto sleepy settlement of Tanari. Located away from Oldis' tax collectors in King's Port, the Eslandolan trade barons in Pamu, the strict rule of law in the Oleon territories and Corrington's orderly influence in Westface, Tanari is the perfect location for those with a healthy disregard for the law. 

For this category, builders should show the establishment of a smugglers cove on the island located just off the coast of Tanari. The build and accompanying story should show how the protagonist will profit from some kind of illegal activity, whether it be fencing stolen goods, resupplying buccaneers or bribing Terraversan officials. You build should be licensable under the EGS rules although you do not have to do so.

Size: Footprint must meet a minimum of 16x16 with no upper limit.

Category Prizes:

1st Place: One free Class 5 ship licence (to be activated by microbuild) must fly the black.

2nd Place: One free Class 4 ship licence (to be activated by microbuild) must fly the black.

3rd Place: One free Class 3 ship licence (to be activated by microbuild) must fly the black.

Category F Index of Entries:

Smuggling Tower | COR | @evancelt

Smuggler's Stash | COR | @Brickwolf

The Terraversa Crab Basket Part 6 - Chief Apulo is going rogue | ESL | @Faladrin

Baywatch | SR | @Professor Thaum

The Dragon's LairESL | @Capt Wolf

Scoring Criteria: Judges will score each entry on the following criteria:

Build (score out of 10) - emphasis on quality. Doesn't necessary have to be complex, but higher scoring builds will show obvious effort.
Story (score out of 5) - does the build fit the challenge story requirements? High scoring builds will have a well written and interesting story.
Presentation (score out of 5) - Considerations include: photography, colour palette, base/borders 

Note:

• Participants who enter all three categories of Part One will gain an additional 1 point of build score for each part one entry.
  • Trade Companies competing in Category E who show a collaborative effort with their story will receive higher scores in this category compared to Trade Companies with multiple entries who do not.

Faction prizes: As this challenge focuses on NPC nations, there will be no faction prizes.

Participation Bonus: Players who submit a valid entry for Part One and/or Part Two will be eligible to choose one of the following for each part they enter:

• One free Class 3 ship licence (to be activated by microbuild)
  • One free small property licence for any location (activated by microbuild)
  • One free medium property licence for any settlement on Terraversa (activated by microbuild)

Builders eligible for these rewards will be listed after the due date for each part. In addition to the above, builders who rank number one in category for their faction may upgrade their licences as follows:

• One free Class 4 ship licence (to be activated by microbuild)
  • One free medium property licence for any location (activated by microbuild)
  • One free large property licence for any settlement on Terraversa (activated by microbuild)

For example, if you enter both parts of the challenge (min 2 builds for part one and 1 build for part 2) you will receive two of the above as a bonus. If you don't enter part one but do enter a build for part two (or vice versa) you will receive one of the above as a bonus.

1 hour ago, Ross Fisher said:

Happy to take part in a Category D collab if anyone fancies taking that risk... I have ideas ready to go!

I'm interested @Ross Fisher

I also have some ideas for CAT D and would like to join up for a collab. Specifically, my idea is to build a bridge and show how each side defends/controls traffic on their end (binding it together by a common bridge design). Perhaps some bluecoat(s) would be interested? (And others as well - we can show markets near the bridge, defences, toll posts, boarding houses, etc. I figure the bridge will be a hub of activity and communication between the two sides of the settlement)

If that doesn't strike anyone else's fancy, I am also happy to join a different collab.  :pir-classic:

I also certainly expect the ETTC to join in on CAT E!

3 minutes ago, Bregir said:

I also have some ideas for CAT D and would like to join up for a collab. Specifically, my idea is to build a bridge and show how each side defends/controls traffic on their end (binding it together by a common bridge design). Perhaps some bluecoat(s) would be interested? (And others as well - we can show markets near the bridge, defences, toll posts, boarding houses, etc. I figure the bridge will be a hub of activity and communication between the two sides of the settlement)

If that doesn't strike anyone else's fancy, I am also happy to join a different collab.  :pir-classic:

I also certainly expect the ETTC to join in on CAT E!

I think you should reach out to @Ross Fisher to see how your idea could fit with his (I think it could). I'm in for ETTC builds for CAT E!

Wow, so many nice building ideas! In particular the “Check point Sillitholina” one sounds great! I hope I could be a little more active in the next months... for sure this challenge will be worth!

@Ayrlego (and Court), I think this is great! A great way to allow the dust to settle in TV, advance the story, and give everybody a vote in continuing to shape it. Well planned! Great build ideas. A couple questions. I want to ask up front before people start building things and are surprised by assumptions about unspecified details: 

1. Can we clarify/specify up front that digital builds are ok, not ok, or "ok, but..." I think it will help manage expectations for all, particularly those of us who are transitioning between continents this summer. 

2. Also, to clarify, there was a lot of discussion about how settlements would shrink/grow, maybe be incorporated, etc. in negotiating the peace treaty. I think we were all fine to wait and see if the next KPA would specify size and trade value of everything in TV. BUT, now we are all potentially about to embark on a few months worth of TV focused builds. I think it would be very helpful to publish the settlement size and details for EACH settlement in TV ASAP. If we don't do this now, then later we will be struggling to figure out what builds were rolled into the settlement when. EX. If as the dust settles from the war, it is determined that KP is a "City" it would need 8 Artisans, etc. to upgrade to a "Large City" we should stake out the size before people start building artisan builds in KP. 

2.a. OL built 4 forts in TV before the rules changed. Those builds would now be illegal. The Medium (I think) in Plinton and Large Fort in Nola Mar (and large cultural build in Nola Mar) probably don't need rulings other than, "they are rolled into the current settlement size" or "they are added onto the new settlement size." The Large Fort in Tarlor and the Royal Fort in KP probably need a ruling. I think best ruling is, "Oleon just change the locations to a settlement you own, tell us which ones" I don't think anything else was "licensed" during the war. 

13 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

It is rumoured wealthy and powerful merchants are already building alliances and plotting to replace him. He must act swiftly if he is to remain in power

3. Do we read this as a potential outcome of this challenge being ESL taking over a settlement? There are no faction prizes and no mention of settlements. Can we specify that resizing (beyond licensing builds) and reflagging settlements "is" or "is not" on the table as potential outcomes during this challenge? 

I hope the court views all this as trying to improve transparency, clarify, and expectations before people start slapping bricks together. I'll end where I began, this challenge, and all the sub-elements, is a great idea to in and out of context move forward from the peace treaty. I'm looking forward to it. 

Edited by CapOnBOBS

1 hour ago, CapOnBOBS said:

Can we clarify/specify up front that digital builds are ok

Digital builds are ok. As long as they meet the stated requirements for the category; the same as for physical builds, then there are no further qualifications.

1 hour ago, CapOnBOBS said:

I think it would be very helpful to publish the settlement size and details for EACH settlement in TV ASAP. I

I agee. My goal is to have the March/April spreadsheet released in the first week of May with the new values included.

2 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

OL built 4 forts in TV before the rules changed.

These will be assessed on a case by case basis. The build in Plinton will be in addition to the new size. Nola Mar was already considered Olean so no ruling required. King’s Port was determined to be down graded to a large and I think an additional build was required that was never presented, so I’ll need to look into that. Tarlor will need a ruling but I am firmly opposed to a retcon type move. Options could be you sell it to L’Olius or you destroy it when you leave.

Do we read this as a potential outcome of this challenge being ESL taking over a settlement? There are no faction prizes and no mention of settlements. Can we specify that resizing (beyond licensing builds) and reflagging settlements "is" or "is not" on the table as potential outcomes during this challenge? 

As with any challenge elements of entries may be included into official lore at the end of the challenge. In the last ‘oleonda’ challenge we awarded additional prizes not originally stated to reward effort - eg. incorporating Jiangkai into a Oleon settlement. Expect a similar process this time for Part One. If enough people build against Oldis, we may see a change of NPC leaders... or maybe TER internal stability will decrease, or maybe something else and yes, settlement size is a variable we’d be willing to adjust if appropriate. What you will NOT see, is a player controled faction taking control of NPC settlements. TER and COT are NPC factions. Yes they are influenced by ESL and COR, but they remain independent and will continue to remain so.

I hope the court views all this as trying to improve transparency, clarify, and expectations before people start slapping bricks together.

Absolutely, and I welcome the opportunity to clarify anything as early as possible. Having written the majority of this challenge, it’s sometimes hard for me to separate my ‘assumed knowledge and understanding’ from the words I’ve actually written!

On 4/29/2021 at 7:30 AM, CapOnBOBS said:

I think it would be very helpful to publish the settlement size and details for EACH settlement in TV ASAP.

All: Sorry, the sheets are taking a little longer than I hoped. I only have to work out the troop stuff now and it will be done. In the meantime, here are the agreed settlement sizes and trade values:

King's Port | TER | City | Trade Value: 700

Westface | COT | City | Trade Value: 590

Nola Mar | OL | City | Trade Value: 330

Plinton | OL | Large Town | Trade Value: 155

Pamu | TER | Town | Trade Value: 100

Tanari | TER | Town | Trade Value: 100

Tarlor | COT | Town | Trade Value: 100

North Silithona | OL | Town | Trade Value: 55

South Silithona | COT | Town | Trade Value: 55

For transparency, here is the reasoning that the OL player settlements have lower trade values than the NPC settlements:

Nola Mar has been elevated to city level and gifted to a player nation at city status. As a player settlement, it needs to have the correct number of properties and correct parity of property types to be advanced. A city requires a minimum of 61 properties. Nola Mar has been given 61 NPC properties (no income/no owners) with the minimum number of property types to ensure the correct parity is achieved for city. Then the properties that have been MOC'd and licensed have been added in addition to the minimum 61 properties. This gives Nola Mar a current trade value of 330. (note previously Nola Mar's trade value was only 170 - so this is a pretty significant jump). City status has never automatically been applied to a player settlement before. It takes considerable building effort to achieve what has been gifted to OL as a reward for their aMRCA efforts (remember OL also gained a Large Town and a Town out of this... so I think it is reasonable to state that they have done very well out of this - A city, large city and town is a very generous reward). Nola Mar is now a player settlement (a significant distinction), so it has been given the minimum to achieve this (which also makes some sense IC as it has newly expanded to cope with 'loyalists' fleeing from other regions. It should also be noted that City status usually requires 1x Royal property which has been wavered in this case. To advance further, Nola Mar will require builds to meet the size and parity requirements the same as any other player settlement. A similar process was applied on a smaller scale for Plinton and North Silithona.

King's Port; in contrast, was a Large City with a trade value of 898. Now to account for war damage, it has been reduced to City status and it's trade value has been reduced to 700. For comparison, the same amount of NPC builds were added to KP, and player licensed builds were then added. The trade value from this calculation was too low for a settlement that had a trade value of almost 900 before the war, so the size of the settlement was bumped up without changing the settlement status. A similar calculation was applied with Westface and the trade value remains unchanged and matches the pre-war trade value of that settlement.

Remember, trade value only matters if you actually trade and you are no one is restricted to only trading with their own factions settlements. There are no benefits to the faction/settlement of having a high trade value so game balance shouldn't be a concern here. By gaining outright control of a City, Large Town and Town, OL acquires the recruiting capacity to address that factions perceived concerns with game balance.

Hopefully that is all fairly logical and makes sense. If there are any concerns, please let me know and I will attempt to address them.

Thank you Ayrlego for typing all the words above, I have a clearer view of the situation now. 

Only a question, if I understand correctly, Nola Mar is now a city,  even it doesn't have a royal property?

On 5/9/2021 at 9:57 PM, Bodi said:

Thank you Ayrlego for typing all the words above, I have a clearer view of the situation now. 

Only a question, if I understand correctly, Nola Mar is now a city,  even it doesn't have a royal property?

Yes that is correct, Nola Mar is a city

On 5/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, Ayrlego said:

It should also be noted that City status usually requires 1x Royal property which has been wavered in this case. To advance further, Nola Mar will require builds to meet the size and parity requirements the same as any other player settlement.

Slight adjustment. The court has decided that Nola Mar will gain 1x NPC Royal property to achieve proper parity for 'City' status.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:53 AM, Ayrlego said:

Yes that is correct, Nola Mar is a city

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know.:pir-thumb:

Woo, first build! I'm going to be moving house soon, so my bricks are going into storage. Had to get this one in ASAP. 

First of all, great writing for this new Challenge and a great way to end a war in this island. I cannot by any means compete (let alone build anything with more than a dozen bricks or quite some Duplo bricks atm) but going @Bregir 's idea about this bridge a step further (or being incorporated in one's another idea of a build), imagine ropes fording the river with baskets or crates on them to facilitate trade between the two Silitholinas. Why, anyone would ask? Well because having your papers etc checked at the bridge checkpoint takes ages and the boulangerie selling bread is currently on the other side of the river :pir_tong2: 

Again, good luck to the contestants!

Edited by blackdeathgr

RULE UPDATE: As some builders are making their creations digital and others make theirs physically, there are possibilities that custom decals (e.g. minifigure torsos, artworks, etc.) are used. If you plan or wish to use these custom decals, be it physically or digitally, the decals must be used to highlight the builds rather than take away from the submitted builds. If making artwork, similar to LEGO Ideas' Spider-Man contest, you can create builds and drawings and insert them via sticker or digital decal (depending on if you are building physically or digitally), but they must be either a MOC or have a LEGO motif where it is clear the art is inspired by LEGO. For example, you cannot take a work by Rembrandt and insert it as an artwork.

Challenge IV Part A: Oleon has transformed a section of rubble in King's Port into an Embassy to strengthen and support our new neighbor and hopefully a friend who realizes the wisdom of burying the hatchet as our Most Benevolent Sovereign clearly does. 

TVConsulate_3_7

Challenge IV Part B: Oleon and the Order of the Faith have constructed the Shrine of the Recovery over the crypt in which the Quiver of Artemis was found in Nola Mar as another step towards safeguarding the quiver and making Nola Mar into a cultural/religious center for the Empire. 

NolaMarCrypt_Copy_2

Challenge IV Part C: Pro-agrarian prospectors, committed to living off the land, have tapped into a rich seam of iron and found a technical solution for their flooding mine shaft.

ChallengeC_IronMine

Edited by CapOnBOBS