Hello everyone. I would like to share a MOC I have just completed: Ferrari F2004 F1 car

800x800.jpeg

It’s in 1:8 scale with 1700+ parts. Some features:

working V10, pushrod suspensions, steering wheel, removable front wing, rear wing, headrest, and engine cover

I have uploaded some pictures to bricksafe: F2004 Bricksafe

Instruction is also available here: F2004 Instruction

Edited by Milan
Added one pic.

Shame you didn't attach any images, this is a really nice model. Especially for something that is almost pure Technic.

Edited by Milan
Removed the pic, moved that pic in the first post.

@saberwing40k thank you very much. Took me a while to find the guide to upload pictures

I just uploaded the pictures to Flicker and embedded them here:

51142785190_0fdfcc412c.jpg

51141893033_24f7ae7ef1.jpg

51142459389_ba189381ec.jpg

51141683926_eeb9481dc3.jpg

51141007192_1164f440e2.jpg

51142459469_337bbfdcd2.jpg

51141683856_ebef4876e2.jpg

51141892953_6d8626a2b2.jpg

51141892928_2236db3751.jpg

I don't really like F1, but I gotta say, very nice model!

One thing I would improve tho is to use a 1x6 plate and a 1x6 tile to close the gap between the #17/#18 panel behind the front axle.

And just not use these tiny hubcaps. Otherwhise, :classic::thumbup:

Ah yes I've been watching you build this one on your Instagram for the past few weeks. I'm a huge fan :wub:

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Nice model with intermediate tires :wink:

Thank you! Those tires are almost perfect as intermediates haha, if only the rear tires are a bit wider 

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I don't really like F1, but I gotta say, very nice model!

One thing I would improve tho is to use a 1x6 plate and a 1x6 tile to close the gap between the #17/#18 panel behind the front axle.

And just not use these tiny hubcaps. Otherwhise, :classic::thumbup:

Thank you! That’s a nice suggestion. I don’t have those bricks now but will have some in order

Those caps are experimental, didn’t make it to the final version :)

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Ah yes I've been watching you build this one on your Instagram for the past few weeks. I'm a huge fan :wub:

Thank you for following along. Not gonna lie, those instagram likes do give me motivation to finish the MOC

Beautiful! Very well done....

'Super'car builders (and TLG) please take note. Realistic suspension is a beautiful and worthwhile thing - stop being lazy! - its so rare to see suspension of this quality. Lovely to see.

Wow, this is basically my Ultimate Dream Lego Technic set, absolutely well done!!!!

11 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

'Super'car builders (and TLG) please take note. Realistic suspension is a beautiful and worthwhile thing - stop being lazy!

I fully agree with this. Suspension is a thing I spend more and more time in every MOC. Setting up all the geometries is a very nice mechanical challenge, and I'd love to see more people do it! Added bonus is you get a larger understanding of real cars

While I do agree that the suspension is good, I also have to say that due to it being a F1 car, many problems normal 1:8 car MOCs have don't exist here. 

Weight: <1800 parts is a joke in comparison to normal 1:8 cars, some have 4000+ parts.

And most importantly, Fitment: Due to the car not having wheel arches, fitment becomes irellevant. Thats also why the bad pivot point of the front wheels, outside the wheel, does not matter that much. 

Thats why I don't think this is a good comparison.

8 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

While I do agree that the suspension is good, I also have to say that due to it being a F1 car, many problems normal 1:8 car MOCs have don't exist here. 

Weight: <1800 parts is a joke in comparison to normal 1:8 cars, some have 4000+ parts.

And most importantly, Fitment: Due to the car not having wheel arches, fitment becomes irellevant. Thats also why the bad pivot point of the front wheels, outside the wheel, does not matter that much. 

Thats why I don't think this is a good comparison.

I get what you mean, but I have to disagree. My current project is approaching 4k parts as well, so I understand some of the difficulties. The front axle does have caster, camber, an anti-rollbar, Ackermann geometry and adjustable toe, so it is definitely possible.

I disagree too... most cars posted here have no real effort made in the suspension. Its always the usual liftarms and springs shoved somewhere. Heave springs, anti-roll bars? Very rare. To use part count as an excuse not to even try is very poor.... mainly because there is the odd example of people achieving it beautifully. So much emphasis on gap-less bodywork, but suspension is a proper mechanical challenge and adds to the realism of a moc... a car should be more than just a gearbox and a pretty dress. All aspects should be tackled and included. I can only assume most people put it on the 'too difficult' list and ignore it..

@Jerry LEGO Creations @TeamThrifty I wasn't saying a realistic 1:8 suspension is impossible or not worth it or whatever.

All I was saying is that building a realistic suspension  is a lot easier in a very light, open-wheeled car.

I myself always prefer a working, sturdy suspension over a very realistic one, but of course trying to do both is the goal :wink:

Edited by Gray Gear

On 4/27/2021 at 9:48 PM, caiman0637 said:

This is beautiful!

Thank you!

21 hours ago, Jerry LEGO Creations said:

I've also been following the progress on Instagram, good to see it finished! Looks amazing!

Thank you for following along,

19 hours ago, suffocation said:

Stunning work! I also really like the modular approach.

Thank you for the kind words! Regarding the modular bit, I’m inspired by many expert builders on this site. Having built some supercars such as ones from Bruno or Charbel, I must say connecting the modules is one of the best part of the building experience so I tried to have that in this MOC, too

7 hours ago, Sam27 said:

Wow, this is basically my Ultimate Dream Lego Technic set, absolutely well done!!!!

Thank you! It was a dream-comes-true to me too, glad that I was able to finish it

18 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

Beautiful! Very well done....

'Super'car builders (and TLG) please take note. Realistic suspension is a beautiful and worthwhile thing - stop being lazy! - its so rare to see suspension of this quality. Lovely to see.

Thank you! I got to say I had it easier because 42000 suspension is a rather good base. Also thanks to quite a number of videos on YouTube that explain F1 suspension to dummies like me, I was able to grasp concepts such as torsion bar, heave spring, damper, anti-roll bar... I tried to give it a go but not every concept was incorporated of cos

@Gray Gear @TeamThrifty @Jerry LEGO Creations I can see very valid points from your posts, and I do see MOC makers giving more love to suspensions over the years.The LEGO Group should set an example, too. If someone can put anti-roll bar into the Porsche GT3 RS set with a few simple modifications, I don’t see why TLG can’t. Especially when their target audience for those 1:8 supercars is 18+, I’m pretty sure many will be very happy with such additions 

@Gray Gear Ah ok, I misunderstood your point then. It is indeed more difficult in such a car, and I can see why you'd prefer the sturdier one, but I like to see it as a challenge to create a realistic one (and then it reinforcing it a lot :oh:)

@Inteknik Yep, I really hope Lego themselves set an example one day. It's something that's been done many times before, and I wouldn't be surprised if their designers already know about it. It would make the 'standard' chassis of the sets more interesting

3 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

@Jerry LEGO Creations @TeamThrifty I wasn't saying a realistic 1:8 suspension is impossible or not worth it or whatever.

All I was saying is that building a realistic suspension  is a lot easier in a very light, open-wheeled car.

I myself always prefer a working, sturdy suspension over a very realistic one, but of course trying to do both is the goal :wink:

Yes, that is a valid point.. I think we probably agree on most points. You may prioritise sturdy, i'd love to see more realism, but our ideal goal is the same - realistic AND sturdy!!:laugh:

I'm not a car guy but enjoy looking at mocs, and it does disappoint me on the suspension front. I love building tractors and always try to have realistic geometry on 3-points and steering, and diff locks etc... i want it to act like a mini tractor, rather than just look like one, if that makes sense?

On 4/30/2021 at 1:14 AM, lmdesigner42 said:

Great model! Nice shaping and lots of detail. This is what 42000 dreamt of being.

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah I did use some parts of 42000 design in this MOC and of course tried to improve them. 42000 is probably modelled after a later Ferrari F1 variant, like the F150 of the year 2011, not the F2004. Set 8674 is the closet Lego set I would say, although it's modelled after the F2005, again not the F2004 :)