Murdoch17

LB&SC Railway 4-6-0 mixed traffic steam locomotive with four passenger coaches

The engine seen below originally came as a generic British 2-6-0 from the Block Junction website, to which I added two extra leading wheels and a new paint scheme inspired by that found on London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway locomotives around the turn of the 20th century.

51141792480_b67d05190a_z.jpg

But wait, you say, there were no 4-6-0's in that time period on that railway, or even ever painted in that scheme later on! I know that, consider this a experimental one-off that was a hushed-up trial in superheating. (or something similar they were trying back then)

51141240019_e0d884e494_z.jpg

Anyway, a group of close friends and business leaders bought the one-off loco from a backlogged scrap dealer in the early 1930's and preserved it. (These people later became the LEGO Rail Transportation Society in the late 1940's, saving more and more rolling stock and locomotives before saving a to-be-torn-up branch line during the Beeching Cuts of the mid-1960's.) The engine was repainted to LBSC colors somewhere in that time, and re-allocated it's old number X1, designating it as a experimental engine. Over the years, the engine was restored to working order, and had it's troublesome super-heater removed entirely and replaced with a better one. It now runs as a mixed-traffic loco, puling tourist passenger and freight trains alike, just as it was designed to do in the late 1890's / early 1900's.

51141621040_db5b4006b6_z.jpg

The letters LBSC will go on the tender walls, while the engine will feature X1 on it's side. The block junction page I bought the original 2-6-0 from is seen here.

51140915168_f3b9707fdb_z.jpg

Close-up view of the three passenger coaches, from which Annie and Clarabel (from The Railway Series / Thomas and Friends) contributed their designs to the look of.

51140027432_aa5927b838_z.jpg

…and here is a close-up view of the guard's coach, which features a compartment for luggage and the guard himself. (That's a UK version of what we call the Conductor here in the States.)

NOTES: Now, I know the coaches are a bit short in height by a single brick (or is the loco to tall?) but otherwise it looks odd if I change it to be taller / shorter.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions? They are all welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

6 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

That yellow will be a bit bright! It's more a sort of light orange-brown.

would tan work @Tube Map Central? I've recolored just it to tan and brown because of expensive yellow parts, and I agree with you, it will be too bright.

Edited by Murdoch17

Well, no one can remember what colours these trains really were, and the pre-grouping companies often changed liveries, they were around for a lot longer than the British big-four.

Looking through my swatch box, cool yellow might be better. It is less intense but a little bit light, perhaps bright light orange. Actually, yellow might be OK, it's hard to tell on a computer screen, and looking at yellow face to face, it is not to virulent. 

Tan is definitely not yellow enough.

For the later umber livery, try dark orange. 

Looking good so far! Are we talking about Stroudley's "Improved Engine Green" here? Britishbricks over on Flickr tried a terrier in yellow and then switched to medium nougat. I think that would probably be the best match - if all the necessary parts are available! Here's a link to his album.

3 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

Well, no one can remember what colours these trains really were, and the pre-grouping companies often changed liveries, they were around for a lot longer than the British big-four.

Looking through my swatch box, cool yellow might be better. It is less intense but a little bit light, perhaps bright light orange. Actually, yellow might be OK, it's hard to tell on a computer screen, and looking at yellow face to face, it is not to virulent. 

Tan is definitely not yellow enough.

For the later umber livery, try dark orange. 

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

Looking good so far! Are we talking about Stroudley's "Improved Engine Green" here? Britishbricks over on Flickr tried a terrier in yellow and then switched to medium nougat. I think that would probably be the best match - if all the necessary parts are available! Here's a link to his album.

Well, bad news @Pdaitabird @Tube Map Central, I already have most of the tan parts already pulled and don't have the income to try the dark orange, with cool & regular yellow being also out of range.... sorry. But tan w/ brown boxes are sticking around. The Railway name will now be LRTS because that'd just based on the available letters I have here.

16 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

It's not bad news, just invoke what model railroaders call Rule 1: You can do anything you want!

Thanks @Tube Map Central, the new pictures of it are now in the first post.