Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR - FB] Wullham Quarry

Due to the lack of timber on Panarium, one of the very first acts of the new settlers was to locate a source of stone to use as a building material. The distinctive lavender flecked rock of Panarium is now widely used in the construction of permanent structures in and around Wullham and the quarry providing this stone is now in full production. Here a sheep from a nearby flock has wandered down into the pit while workers continue to chip away at the quarry face.

51138263112_bd9eae89b8_b.jpg

Licensed as a rock quarry for the Corrington account.

Nice quarry! I like the lance/droid-arm rock shoot a lot - great idea. The SNOT pallet works really well too.

Quite a rascally band of enterprising quarrymen. Those sheep get into everything, don't they?

Are there Duplos under the hill?

Are you imagining they then transport the rock by horsedrawn cart? Sounds like a heavy load!

Very nice build! I always appreciate your lighting and framing too!

Looks like there is an overhang at the back. Is this well supported or sitting tenuously? Just curious.

Ooooohhhhh droid arms between two lances.... very nice.... I would love to see the opposite view, is that only plate thin as it climbs uphill? From the edge it seems like it may not be as rocky and dense as it appears?

Edited by CapOnBOBS

Lavender rocks hey?  Looks good. :pir-grin:  Effective use of sideways building.  The olive and dark brown combination is a really good one.  I'm a little creeped out by the way the left back corner of the build just disappears though. :pir_laugh2: 

Very nice work with the chiseled rock, Ayrlego, and with getting it to fit so naturally into the landscape!  The filter/shoot is quite clever, and (while all your minifigures are good) I'm very much a fan of that guy in front! :pir-grin: :thumbup:

On 4/27/2021 at 12:16 AM, evancelt said:

Are there Duplos under the hill?

There most certainly are!!

On 4/27/2021 at 12:16 AM, evancelt said:

Are you imagining they then transport the rock by horsedrawn cart? Sounds like a heavy load!

Yes - well an oxen drawn cart. I was going to include on but it didn't end up happening.

On 4/27/2021 at 4:15 AM, CapOnBOBS said:

Ooooohhhhh droid arms between two lances.... very nice.... I would love to see the opposite view, is that only plate thin as it climbs uphill? From the edge it seems like it may not be as rocky and dense as it appears?

despite the photo which now that you mention is quite deceptive, it is actually pretty solid. The ground is stepped up with Duplo bricks to give it height. Droid arms come in handy surprisingly a lot!

51142046822_c2b7f7154d_c.jpg

23 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

I'm a little creeped out by the way the left back corner of the build just disappears though. :pir_laugh2: 

Yeah I am not happy with that either! I should have really built up a snot rock border on the sides. I was just so over placing bley plates by that stage that I got lazy!

Wow, very nice build! I love the rough edge of rocks by building most of it studs-out. Like I mentioned in most of Evancelt's topics: I really like that splash of lavender throughout the rocks. It gives everything a unique look.