eric trax

[MOC] Pottinger TERRASEM R3 seeder

Good evening! It's time to introduce you to another model that has been a side project for the past year. This is situations when you think that a fairly uncomplicated and small MOC will be easy to build.

pottinger_terrasem_r3-1.jpg

pottinger_terrasem_r3-6.jpg

Below is a photo where you can compare the model with the original Pottinger Terras R3 seeder:

TERRASEM_R3_IDS_Fendt-20.jpg

What to choose?

The choice of the machine was not so obvious. I analyzed the construction of similar seeders, 7 companies in total, the shapes of the hoppers, the frame structure, the mechanisms, and the size of the wheels. The model was supposed to be solid, matching the scale of smaller tractors (~ 150 HP), built of appropriate colors due to the availability of parts, and the mechanics simple enough to be controlled only by the tractor's power take-off shaft. I didn't want to build anything boring either, so I chose a machine with three dominant colors, because it's the most photogenic.

Mechanisms

At first glance, the model seems to be a very simple machine and it is not entirely true. The Pottinger seeder is suspended on a rigid frame, this makes even the model made of blocks very solid. The main mechanism is a linkage system in the center of the frame that changes the attachments to the transport or working position. It is controlled by a small linear actuator powered by the tractor PTO. The rear part have eight same sowing sections and each of them has independent suspension so that it adjusts to the ground unevenness as in a real machine. The whole is complemented by manually opened markers, a frame with rear warning signs that is kept level all the time regardless of the position of the seeder sections. Finally, an open hopper, with grain :)

Appearance

The choice of the right seeder model was really important. Some of the machines that I rejected had strange shapes that were problematic to build, which could affect the realism of the model. There are some interesting details that I am very pleased with. A platform with an opening ladder, a radar dish that keeps the hoses in the right position, referring to an element of a real machine. Finally, the massive but quite realistic seed drills sections. When I started building this model, I didn't think LEGO would surprise me so much and produce 56x26 farm tires. I built the prototype on balloon tires, the new tread pattern significantly improves the realism of the model. The photo with the tractor and loader shows how photogenic this model is :D

Below you can see photos and a short video showing how the model works.

pottinger_terrasem_r3-1.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_terrasem_r3-2.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_terrasem_r3-3.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_terrasem_r3-4.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_terrasem_r3-5.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_terrasem_r3-6.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_terrasem_r3-7.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_terrasem_r3-8.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by eric trax

I know the feeling "you think that a fairly uncomplicated and small MOC will be easy to build." 

Very nice build. It is always nice to see your Scorpion.

I'd like to only add here that recreating all those seed feeding pipes for instructions costed me few additional grey hairs...

1280x896.jpg

13 hours ago, Glaysche said:

I would buy sets like this over a super car every day of the week.  This is amazing.

Definitely! Agriculture seems an under represented genre - at least at flagship level. They're amazing complex machines that are ideally suited to Technic, yet they get ignored. 

37 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Definitely! Agriculture seems an under represented genre - at least at flagship level. They're amazing complex machines that are ideally suited to Technic, yet they get ignored. 

I predict that the two new sizes of agricultural tires (56mm for Jeep and 81.6mm for Mercedes ZETROS) is no coincidence and we will get a large agricultural model next year.

Edited by eric trax

Great MOC as always. I appreciate how you created a MOC (New Holland Tractor), then gave it a partner (Claas Telehandler), and are now adding lots of additional builds to supplement both. I very much like these system builds as it give endless possibilities for expanding the world that one MOC created.

I appreciate the small details like the Seed Bag for the Telehandler. It's a little thing in the broader build, but it's details like this that make it all tie together.

Great job again. 

50 minutes ago, eric trax said:

I predict that the two new sizes of agricultural tires (56mm for Jeep and 81.6mm for Mercedes ZETROS) is no coincidence and we will get a large agricultural model next year.

At least, they (81.6 ones) will work the best at your amazing tractor!

17 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Great MOC as always. I appreciate how you created a MOC (New Holland Tractor), then gave it a partner (Claas Telehandler), and are now adding lots of additional builds to supplement both. I very much like these system builds as it give endless possibilities for expanding the world that one MOC created.

I appreciate the small details like the Seed Bag for the Telehandler. It's a little thing in the broader build, but it's details like this that make it all tie together.

Great job again. 

In any form, the telehandler is a very versatile machine. This was one of the reasons I designed and built the Scorpion. True, it can be used in many situations.

The idea for a big bag was born when it turned out that the hopper could be opened. Even then, I had an idea for this photo in my head. The more machines I have, the more photos I can take :D

17 hours ago, Void_S said:

At least, they (81.6 ones) will work the best at your amazing tractor!

It is so obvious that I don't need to write it :roflmao:

Thank you guys for such good feedback :pir-huzzah1: