Hi Everyone,

Here's a tutorial video I did on calculating the gear angle for the correct meshing of the lego gears within a lego design program such as bricklink studio. Three gear meshing examples are worked through - the first one being a straightforward rotation of the second gear in order to mesh with the first gear which is set to zero degrees. In the second example the first gear as an arbitrary angle of rotation and the correct angle calculation of the second gear is demonstrated by using the angle combined with the gearing ratio between the two gears. Each of the first two examples assumed the relative position of the second gear is at a multiple of 90 degrees. In the third example the position of the 2nd gear is at an angle relative to the first and again the correct meshing angle is calculated. All of the examples are working through on the bricklink studio designer program.

Hope you find this useful.

Nice video! I also use this moment, as building the model in LDD/Studio requires to explicitly set the gears and driveshaft angles.
I would add once more thing, the calculation for more then 2 gears in a row, a "consequent connection". I wanted to explain it here how it can be done but decided just to put all the calculations in the the Excel file, so you can easily use it.

So, here it begins: we have a number of gears to be connected to each other and it will be a nightmare to set all of them at proper angles to ensure the proper teeth mesh.
The first row is a real configuration, the second is a "flat" layout of the same connections. For non-bevel gears it will be only a flat one :grin:

640x480.png

So, we have 12-20-28-20-12-20-12 gears and I have to rotate the first one at 200 degrees, for example.

1. Setting the first gear - 200 degrees.
  2. Setting the second gear - it should be rotated accordingly, to math the 0.5 teeth turn and math the 1st gear turn.
  3. Then the 3rd, 4th etc.

It results in a lot of calculation, or just a lot of try-and-fail attempts. So, today I made an Excel file that is making all the calculations for me:

Gear%20Connections%20-%20preview.JPG

I'm only set the gears and if the first one's turn angle if needed. As a result, it shows all the gears angles (in degrees and teeth) and which human-friendly value is better for use instead of a long fraction number.
That last column was a real headache to build the reasonable formula but I did it and works the best!

Enjoy: https://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/gear-connections/Gear Connections.xlsx
https://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/gear-connections/Gear Connections.io

Update: it does not understand that angled connections by TechnicBrickPower but I hope yet)

Update 2: ouch! it's my 666th post  :devil_laugh:

Edited by Void_S

TechnicBrickPower, Excellent video!! Nice tutorial for Stud.io. If all the stud.io tutorials were as well done as this one, I would probably, finally learn how to use Stud.io.