Stuartn

[MOC] Sydney Trains T-set Inspired Train

This is a train MOC I built some time ago, based on the Sydney Trains T-set 'Tangara Train'. It is intended to be part of a small railway layout within my city layout, hence its proportions are somewhat off compared to the actual train, and it lacks many of the T-set's details throughout. Much of the design differs from the actual train also, with some parts, such as the Bogies, taking more design cues from the more recent A,B and M sets. The train is 6-wide to fit with my other city vehicles, and runs on 9v tracks 5 studs apart.

Comments and criticisms welcome, thank you for viewing.

IMG_8410IMG_8411IMG_8415IMG_8414IMG_8412

Looks great! I personally thing the real thing is an ugly brick but you got 99% of the details at a small size

Might look better if you swapped the plain yellow for a warmer color ( Bright Light Orange for example)

2 hours ago, Merlict said:

Looks great! I personally thing the real thing is an ugly brick but you got 99% of the details at a small size

Might look better if you swapped the plain yellow for a warmer color ( Bright Light Orange for example)

Thank you. The real thing does have less aesthetically pleasing features, with the transparent roof on the MOC not being included on the real thing. The newer trains such as the A and B 'Waratah' sets have a mixture of light orange and yellow at the front, however older T sets do not.

While light orange would be a better and more accurate colour, due to a lack of pieces I had on hand I chose yellow. I originally attempted to make an A set which would incorporate yellow and orange but shaping the curved front at 6-wide proved very challenging so I went for the more iconic T set.

Edited by Stuartn

As someone who rides these to work and back every weekday, I can see you’ve captured the look without getting bogged in details. Very nice!

The bright yellow is true to prototype, though I note you’ve moved the pantograph from the front driving car to the second trailer car. Whether you count that as minor detail or error is your call. 

51 minutes ago, Chromeknight said:

As someone who rides these to work and back every weekday, I can see you’ve captured the look without getting bogged in details. Very nice!

The bright yellow is true to prototype, though I note you’ve moved the pantograph from the front driving car to the second trailer car. Whether you count that as minor detail or error is your call. 

Thank you, I moved the pantograph to the rear simply because when placed on my layout it would sit under a pedestrian bridge if at the front, and the details got lost. I didn’t really think about the accuracy at the time, but as the layout it used to sit on is now taken apart I will move it back to the front.

3 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very nice livery and interesting building technique

Thank you

2 hours ago, Asper said:

Interesting prototype - great work on the shape of the model.

Thank you