Sign in to follow this  
VaneStream

[MOC] HMS Unsinkable II - A 40-Gun Imperial Ship of the Line

51135685953_b4e1689310_c.jpg

I present the Unsinkable II, a 40-gun imperial ship of the line.

After the terrific Barracuda Bay got me back into buying lego for myself again and led me down a lego-nostalgia rabbit hole I decided to get all the lego from my childhood out of my parent’s basement, sorted it and started building again. I wanted an imperial ship as an antagonist to the Black Seas Barracuda, so I built this ship of the line, using mainly parts from the 90s and early 2000s. It’s not built on prefab hull pieces, instead the hull is completely brick-built.

The Unsinkable II is not modelled on any specific ship, but I did use the HMS Victory, the HMS Vanguard and the HMS Melville as references.

51135696618_5ce487bc65_c.jpg

51135695263_3c8985794a_c.jpg

51136587445_1eafe6c81f_c.jpg

51134802217_d6231b8235_c.jpg

51136251519_c01f55dea2_c.jpg

For more pictures visit the Flickr folder: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVtyX4C

The Unsinkable II and Barracuda Bay then inspired me to resurrect another old hobby: making stop-motion animation. Watch the Unsinkable II and Shippy McShipface (Black Seas Barracuda) battle it out in this new episode of Being Pirates:

Edited by VaneStream

Ah yes, nice to see the model finally finished. Wonder if it will be able to live up to its title, after meeting these pirates. :pir-grin: Good job!

11 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Ah yes, nice to see the model finally finished. Wonder if it will be able to live up to its title, after meeting these pirates. :pir-grin: Good job!

Ha ha, I wouldn't be too hopeful :pir_laugh2:

9 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

Beautiful MOC, and the best episode yet!

Thanks! I also think it's the best episode out of the three :pir-sweet:

Nice ship. The video is funny and has an unexpected ending.

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

@JintaiZ a new ship has docked in the Pirate Forum!

Indeed! :pir-love:

On 4/25/2021 at 3:58 PM, NOD said:

Nice ship. The video is funny and has an unexpected ending.

Thanks!

And Thanks Mister Phes and Jintaiz !

Awesome. And great video too, super impressive stop-motion!

Not that you asked, but I really want to extend the upper deck forward to the same length as the lower, and build a bigger prow for the beakhead (shift it all forward a bit if that makes sense). 

Anyway, just my personal preference  - great ship, love seeing something like this in theme-scale.  

What a bold name! You don't think you're tempting fate just a bit? :pir-tongue: Most sailors were incredibly superstitious.

I really like the flag. Is that printed fabric?

21 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

Awesome. And great video too, super impressive stop-motion!

Not that you asked, but I really want to extend the upper deck forward to the same length as the lower, and build a bigger prow for the beakhead (shift it all forward a bit if that makes sense). 

Anyway, just my personal preference  - great ship, love seeing something like this in theme-scale.  

Thanks Supersick_!

I see what you mean with extending the upper deck at the front. Now that I see it I think it would be great to do that. I might update her and then include her as the Unsinkable III in a future episode of Being Pirates :pir_laugh2:

20 hours ago, rock raider said:

What a bold name! You don't think you're tempting fate just a bit? :pir-tongue: Most sailors were incredibly superstitious.

I really like the flag. Is that printed fabric?

Ha ha, I see it exactly like you see it, tempting fate a bit too much (as you can see in the episode). The name Unsinkable II also kind of implies there was an original Unsinkable that probably...sunk.

The Flag is two sheets of paper, each one printed. I then crumpled up and uncrumpled the paper many times to give it that fabric-like look and then stuck the two sides together but put some wire in between the paper sheets so that I could animate the movement of the flag in stop-motion.

3 hours ago, SATSOK said:

Very nice build !!!

And the video is awsome !!!!!!!!

Thank you SATSOC!

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

Hop, you've been image.png.dcd600c65812b505c1017c858c16ce95.png

What an honor! Thank you! :pir-sweet:

On 4/29/2021 at 7:05 AM, peedeejay said:

A real beauty!

Thank you peedeejay!

8 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Thanks JintaiZ! And that text that introduces it is great! Thanks for also linking the video :pir-laugh:

On 4/24/2021 at 7:24 PM, VaneStream said:

down a lego-nostalgia rabbit hole

Definitely should come join the Blue Coats on the Brick Seas.... this ship is beautiful! Well done!

On 4/24/2021 at 6:24 PM, VaneStream said:

51135685953_b4e1689310_c.jpg

I present the Unsinkable II, a 40-gun imperial ship of the line.

After the terrific Barracuda Bay got me back into buying lego for myself again and led me down a lego-nostalgia rabbit hole I decided to get all the lego from my childhood out of my parent’s basement, sorted it and started building again. I wanted an imperial ship as an antagonist to the Black Seas Barracuda, so I built this ship of the line, using mainly parts from the 90s and early 2000s. It’s not built on prefab hull pieces, instead the hull is completely brick-built.

The Unsinkable II is not modelled on any specific ship, but I did use the HMS Victory, the HMS Vanguard and the HMS Melville as references.

51135696618_5ce487bc65_c.jpg

51135695263_3c8985794a_c.jpg

51136587445_1eafe6c81f_c.jpg

51134802217_d6231b8235_c.jpg

51136251519_c01f55dea2_c.jpg

For more pictures visit the Flickr folder: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVtyX4C

The Unsinkable II and Barracuda Bay then inspired me to resurrect another old hobby: making stop-motion animation. Watch the Unsinkable II and Shippy McShipface (Black Seas Barracuda) battle it out in this new episode of Being Pirates:

Amazing build and Amazing Videos, looking forward to Season 2 :P