Sign in to follow this  
John Cromwell

The Problem with Lotr and Elves

After seeing a few posts on here of other people making elf-related MOCs, I decided to make a small faction for myself.

So, here is what I have so far:

Elvish Faction

(I apologize for the crappy photo quality, the lighting was extremely bad.)

On the far right is obviously Legolas, I gave him the dove so he would fit in more, right center is an Elven Ambassador or Princess, left center is an Elven Ranger, and far-right is a Royal Guard.

But other than the Rouge and CMF Elf, I can't seem to find any other torso printings that fit with the dark green, brown, and dark red color scheme I want that aren't Lord of the Rings. Any suggestions?

On more of a side note:

Spoiler

Really Lego?

Really, Lego?

Are they supposed to be pony centaurs? 

Pointy Ears

I do like the look of the ears, it makes her less human and more mythological.

Edited by John Cromwell

The Centaur of the current CMF looks pretty Elve like. Despite the horse thing going on down there

The torsos of the Series 8 Actor and Series 15 Frightening Knight might also work.

Re: the Centaur torso, I imagine its reduced size is due to two factors—firstly to avoid having the fig absolutely tower over other figures, and secondly because a full-size horse body might be pushing it for what would fit comfortably in a CMF packet to begin with.

2 hours ago, John Cromwell said:

After seeing a few posts on here of other people making elf-related MOCs, I decided to make a small faction for myself.

So, here is what I have so far:

On the far right is obviously Legolas, I gave him the dove so he would fit in more, right center is an Elven Ambassador or Princess, left center is an Elven Ranger, and far-right is a Royal Guard. 

But other than the Rouge and CMF Elf, I can't seem to find any other torso printings that fit with the dark green, brown, and dark red color scheme I want that aren't Lord of the Rings. Any suggestions?

Some figures I can think of whose parts might be worth a look include Princess Harumi, Poison Ivy, the Series 8 Actor, Series 9 Forest Maiden, Fantasy Era Witch, Desert Lloyd , and Hero Lloyd. I definitely understand if some of these don't really suit the style you're looking for, though. Keep in mind that parts that don't match the color scheme perfectly (like, say, don't seem to have enough brown, or have an exposed yellow neckline) can always be covered up or complemented with other parts in suitable colors like shoulderpads, cloaks, or quivers.

On more of a side note:

Really Lego?

Are they supposed to be pony centaurs?

In general, centaurs look kind of odd with full-sized horse bodies unless you exaggerate the size of their human upper half. And that'd likely be an even bigger issue with minifigs due to their stumpy proportions. For what it's worth, portrayals on ancient Greek pottery also generally went with the "diminished horse height" approach, portraying centaurs and adult humans as close to the same height, although of course, that sort of ancient art often took a lot of liberties with scale and proportions.

Edited by Aanchir

The similar torso to the thespian in dark red also works well for elves.  Are you looking to make different factions?  I am currently using the atlantians from the aquaman set as sea elves.  I am also using some ninjago torsos like princess vania for my moon elves.  I also am using some of the prince of persia torsos for desert elves and using gamora's brown torso backwards as a desert elf.  

I've used Poison Ivy in the past for faery-adjacent builds, and could definitely fit in with the elf-stylings.

The color-scheme is off, but my Series 15 Faun hangs out with my elves.

And since someone mentioned Rascus, the torsos from the green and brown Mandalorians in the battle pack also fit if you need armor.

On 4/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, Padlix said:

The Centaur of the current CMF looks pretty Elve like

Yeah, I thought about that. I just think it looks a little boring compared to the Lotr ones. Not as busy.

On 4/23/2021 at 3:12 PM, Lyichir said:

The torsos of the Series 8 Actor and Series 15 Frightening Knight might also work.

Hm, thanks! The Frightening Knight has pretty sweet torso!

On 4/23/2021 at 3:30 PM, Aanchir said:

Some figures I can think of whose parts might be worth a look include Princess Harumi, Poison Ivy, the Series 8 Actor, Series 9 Forest Maiden, Fantasy Era Witch, Desert Lloyd , and Hero Lloyd. I definitely understand if some of these don't really suit the style you're looking for, though. Keep in mind that parts that don't match the color scheme perfectly (like, say, don't seem to have enough brown, or have an exposed yellow neckline) can always be covered up or complemented with other parts in suitable colors like shoulderpads, cloaks, or quivers

Thanks for the suggestions! This gives me a bunch of options to choose from, thanks!

14 hours ago, zoth33 said:

The similar torso to the thespian in dark red also works well for elves.  Are you looking to make different factions?

You mean Elrond? No, just one small faction of Woodland Elves.

12 hours ago, Robert8 said:

And the Series 9 Forest Maiden as well

Yeah, but she isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination!

11 hours ago, elfprince13 said:

I've used Poison Ivy in the past for faery-adjacent builds, and could definitely fit in with the elf-stylings.

The color-scheme is off, but my Series 15 Faun hangs out with my elves.

And since someone mentioned Rascus, the torsos from the green and brown Mandalorians in the battle pack also fit if you need armor.

I don't know where I would use Poison Ivy at the moment, but thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, since my elves are light nougat instead of yellow, he wouldn't really fit.

I stole a look at the mandalorians and those might work! Now to get my grimmy mitts on a few! 

1 hour ago, John Cromwell said:

Yeah, I thought about that. I just think it looks a little boring compared to the Lotr ones. Not as busy.

Hm, thanks! The Frightening Knight has pretty sweet torso!

Thanks for the suggestions! This gives me a bunch of options to choose from, thanks!

You mean Elrond? No, just one small faction of Woodland Elves.

Yeah, but she isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination!

I don't know where I would use Poison Ivy at the moment, but thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, since my elves are light nougat instead of yellow, he wouldn't really fit.

I stole a look at the mandalorians and those might work! Now to get my grimmy mitts on a few! 

It's the william shakespear fig from the lego movie cmf.  

don't know where I would use Poison Ivy at the moment, but thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, since my elves are light nougat instead of yellow, he wouldn't really fit.

Might still be able to re-use the legs + hair though, if you can find a decent torso to go with. Maybe some like these guys from the Narnia movie instead of the shirtless Mr. Tumnus vibe:

3c9537b1d63e6ed2ce83913a347d33f1.jpg.1b41950fecbd9405bdd551549c029509.jpg

Also, nobody has mentioned this yet, but you can steal hair-pieces from the LEGO Elves minidolls and it fits on a standard minifigure, if you need a little variety in the ears + hairdos when you start mixing in parts from minifigs who weren't originally elves.

I find most old soldier style and peasant type torsos work quite well. I think most that I use a lot of have been mentioned...

Some need bits returning/replaced.

fMxPL5X.jpgyHqe0s9.jpg

I use this blue Chinese torso for Figwit. I can't spot his normal dark blue legs though.

94WyqIr.jpg

QSmcelH.jpg

Theoden and frightening knight torsos

1tszsKS.jpg

Hun

Divp9xX.jpg

kwA2eJM.jpg

89pEaJh.jpg

axTwAJE.jpg

GJrfNos.jpg

Even evil knights work well, but for armour you need short hair.

CPFadGh.jpg

Edited by MAB