weavil

[MOC] Power tools for the workshop. Now you can drill, cut, and spin all the wood!

I am back with more of the lesser known/made MOC's. I looked and looked and found mostly minifig size stuff and a few all Technic builds. So I went on a search for power tools. Had a few ideas on which to make, settled on four. Trying to make them all to a same "scale" was a challenge as 2 of them don't really scale well as some functions are small in regular size. But I pushed forward and came out with four tools to help you build Lego dreams.

They are:

800x600.JPG

Band saw. I had trouble with a "band" to use. I used chain links for the blade as I didn't want to buy a big O-ring. So to make the chain spin, I used the type 2 turntable. That gave me enough diameter for a close scale, but it adds to the thickness of the build. It has a blade guide that can adjust up and down. The top turntable can be cranked lower to allow replacing of the "blade". The power is transmitted via an old O-ring I had.

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

Table Saw. The swinging cradle for the blade and motor proved to be hard as the real ones have a crescent slider with the center of the arch at the top of the table. So for the scale, I had to use pins and make swing that way. The rest of the build is straight forward; that blade tilts, raises, and lowers.

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

Drill Press. This was the hardest one to do! The sliding spindle made it real hard for this scale. I ended up using one of the new hubs because the axle slides in it . Then I had to make a way to move the shaft down and have it automatically return. I was able to with a gear rack and some tiny rubber bands. Last was how to get three speeds of power transmission. Using another old O-ring, I had to work out the pullies. 

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

Wood Lathe. Last and the easiest by far! I could have chose to do a more modern power system with a variable speed, but that would require the train remote and take a way from the design. I was unable to do the closed triple pully as the space of the scale prevented the use of the grey pully. So I just used a big and small double bevel gear.

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

Here the links to the videos of them Band SawLatheTable Saw, and Drill Press.

More pictures on Bricksafe.

Edited by weavil
forgot a picture

Those are really neat, and completely different from anything I have seen before in Technic!

Good job!

These are really cool. I really like the multiple speeds on the drill press with the pulleys.

Really refreshing to see something different than vehicles, also all functionality is impressive.

Very nice!

I once thought of making a metal lathe, but I couldn't think of any way to make the main bearing and the chuck from Lego, at least not in any sensible scale. The lead screw might also be slightly problematic, but 32L axle with stacked worm gears might be adequate.

7 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Those are really neat, and completely different from anything I have seen before in Technic!

Good job!

I'm trying to build the least build type of stuff this year.

5 hours ago, Glaysche said:

These are really cool. I really like the multiple speeds on the drill press with the pulleys.

I wanted them to function like the real ones. Sadly that o-ring didn't want to work right.

5 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

These are excellent!

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

Really refreshing to see something different than vehicles, also all functionality is impressive.

Thank you. Someone has to build the other stuff, right?

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

Very nice!

I once thought of making a metal lathe, but I couldn't think of any way to make the main bearing and the chuck from Lego, at least not in any sensible scale. The lead screw might also be slightly problematic, but 32L axle with stacked worm gears might be adequate.

I had come across a couple larger scale one when I was looking at wood lathes on Google. I might try to make one later this year.

Very unique idea and great execution!

The drill and Band saw are my favorites :-)

11 hours ago, johncarpenter said:

Wow, these are really nice and original. My favorite is the drill press, great looks and also functions! :thumbup:

11 hours ago, suffocation said:

Love 'em all :wub:

9 hours ago, Jundis said:

Very unique idea and great execution!

The drill and Band saw are my favorites :-)

8 hours ago, Lipko said:

Brings back some old Meccano catalog memories :classic:

5 hours ago, whitepen said:

I love them!

Thank you and glad you like the drill press! It was the hardest of the four.

On 4/24/2021 at 12:44 PM, Milan said:

My father used to have all of these, so nice to see them brickbuilt. Well done!

Thank you. People use them more then some of the "usual" Lego builds, so why not make them!

I'm thinking on making instructions for them all.