Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR - FB] Spice Merchant, Jameston

As the ETTC military presence in Jameston has grown, so has the area of the city that is known as the Nizami Quarter. ETTC troops, mainly consisting of mercenaries hired from the southern Nizami satrapies of the Molokoi Empire. These men are mostly drawn from the Nizam ethnic group and sign into the ETTC military for 15 years with the promise of immediate Corlander citizenship and a parcel of land in the colonies on retirement. In addition they are allowed to bring up to 5 family members with them to the new world. Here, a ETTC Sepoy has taken his land in advance in Jameston - a practice encouraged by Colonial Governor Allcock - and lives with his father, wife, brother and sister and daughter. His father and wife run a small spice shop where they grown their own chilli peppers together with various other spices and then prepare spice pastes and mixtures to traditional Nizami recipes. Nizami 'curries'; stews made with spicy pastes, are becoming popular throughout Corlander society in Jameston and have even started to be exported to other settlements and the mainland.

51129643075_17177dc3f4_b.jpg

The Nizami are based on South Asian cultures and when I managed to acquire some of the sari wearing Harry Potter Patil twins figures I knew I had to try and create something to do the minifigs justice! The building is part fantasy, part my recollection of some of the houses I saw in Southern India when I visited in 2019. I remember thinking at the time that some of the architecture reminded me of the Middle East but with brighter colours - so perfect for Jameston! Anyway I haven't seen South Asian cultures represented in Lego very much, so I'd be interested to here feedback and suggestions for future builds.

Also I am not sure whether to license as a commercial property (as a merchant's shop) or an artisan (a place where spice mixtures are prepared). Doesn't really bother me either way but I'd be happy to hear some opinions!

Really nice choice of colours here ! Love it ! I'm very jealous of your greenies collection too... (and of your lime green bricks)

This terrace is well thought and looks very convincing ! So is the shed roof !

The only reproach are those ugly fleshy figs :grin:

Nice pepper plants! They look great. Fun tiled porch floor!

For the tree, how did the 5 tubes in a 1x1 hole work out? The aboveground tree looks good :pir-huzzah2: It doesn't have brown branches breaking off from the 5 trunks, but it doesn't take much of a leap to believe the plant leaves with the tubes running through them could be branches themselves.

I've tried to stay away from a lot of those torsos you used because I try to exclusively use yellow heads, and the exposed tan skin means they would look weird with yellow heads. They look really good here though! I can imagine yellow heads being a bit bright/clashy with the lime you used for the building, so tan minifigs seems like the better choice here on top of just being a great fit thematically.

Quite a lime collection! That's a bunch of tiles and round plates! I recently got three 1x2 lime tiles and five 1x1 lime tiles and thought I was all set... :pir-grin:

Also re: commercial vs. artisan, I think it is more fun to make it artisan so you can really call out the creativity of the artist who is experimenting with spice blends :pir-wink: Though Jameston has more artisan than commercial at the moment

Edited by evancelt

Okay, the lime is definitely too much for me. :pir_laugh2:  But I seem to be in the minority.  Love the spice bushes and the shape of that tree!

12 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Okay, the lime is definitely too much for me. :pir_laugh2:  But I seem to be in the minority.

I agree that it is pretty exotic looking :pir-grin: @Spud The Viking called lime a 'risk' above, but I think it's scary (like slimer from ghostbusters scary). The lime is tamed somewhat by the reddish-brown of the trim & pergola

With Ayrlego's recent builds Jameston really has its own bright architectural style now

Edited by evancelt

Great colors and architecture! The crenellations are so simple, yet very effective. The Indian inspiration was immediately clear for me, because of those crenellations. They remind me of the Indian civ in Age of Empires 3.

Very nice figures too! They compliment the whole atmosphere so well.

Excellent build, sir.

The base combined with the variation between trodden dirt and green lushness work really well. The difference in colour and texture near the house is next level.

And while I wouldn't paint my own house lime green, I like the look of it here.

Definitely a :thumbup: From me!

I like it. Good construction and nice colors.