Sign in to follow this  
Spud The Viking

[GoC] Servant's Gate

The Lotii community in Port Raleigh has grown significantly over the past few years. While the rest of the settlement enjoys a friendly connection with the Lotii, there is still a wall separating the groups. One of which is reserved for servants, and given the size, only those entering on foot. 

51124844132_040b09a445_c.jpg

The gate was most appealing, given the cherry blossom tree and bamboo clearly visible from outside, beckoning the intrepid Corrington native to enter and explore the oriental plants and architecture.

51125405441_b1d41d3751_c.jpg

One busy Lotti servant was busy carrying food supplies, only realising he had went to the wrong gate.

However, one unamused Corrie officer walked past, delivering a letter between the two forts in Port Raleigh. Apparently, he didn't want the smell of fish to linger on his freshly laundered uniform.

51125316263_2293aaa56a_c.jpg

Spoiler

A small and simple build for the GoC Task 8: The Lotii Connection. 478 stud footprint.

Here is the build without figures:

51126217280_55ac306a92_c.jpg

Flickr link here.

I was inspired by a repost of a build on Instagram who the account did not credit. Investigating Flickr, I found the original builder here.

What's the deal with politics between the Lotus Kingdom and Corrington right now? I'd imagine they would be dealing with quite a bit of persecution.

I really like the way the wall angles in and out right around the entry way.  The whole MOC is very Lotii in style, with the cherry tree and the bamboo stalks.  Great work!

I like the construction of the gate and the colored blossoms of the cherry tree

Lovely build Spud, the cherry blossom adds a touch of bright colour that is really nice and the round gate gives an unusual 'exotic' flavour to the build. The way you have angled the support around the gate is very clever, are the SNOT wedge plates attached at all? They give a pleasing texture and I think look much nicer than if you had just used the slopes by themselves. Nice hand-cart design as well. GoC :thumbup: from me!

3 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

What's the deal with politics between the Lotus Kingdom and Corrington right now? I'd imagine they would be dealing with quite a bit of persecution.

Interestingly we had a Lotii community in Port Raleigh well before the conflict - I think it started with a sushi stand from CelesAurivern then expanded with a tea house from Bregir and then just became a thing until we had created a 'Lotii Quarter' within the settlement. Port Raleigh also boasts the University for Lotii Studies so I guess it's kind of the central hub for Lotii culture in the Corrie colonies. After the Lotii raid on Spudkirk and subsequent capture of our Class 10 Ship of the line I imagine there would have been some tension, but the New Haven Sea is about as far away from Port Raleigh as you can be in the New World (currently) and we revenged our losses in a raid on Jiangkai (now in Olean hands - you're welcome!:pir_tong2: ) and defeating the Lotii in a naval battle where we destroyed their prize. After that we kind of gained a new (old) enemy much closer - so I think the Lotii in Port Raleigh are probably safe from persecution although as Spud alludes to above some, Corlanders in PR probably go out of their way to avoid the Lotii quarter.

6 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

Great build!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

As Ayrlego said, the war is pretty 'far away' from those in Port Raleigh, and they do not face any huge sectarian violence from the Corries there.

3 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

I really like the way the wall angles in and out right around the entry way.  The whole MOC is very Lotii in style, with the cherry tree and the bamboo stalks.  Great work!

Thank you! I originally had the walls straight but decided that angling them slightly gave a nicer look.

2 hours ago, NOD said:

I like the construction of the gate and the colored blossoms of the cherry tree

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

Lovely build Spud, the cherry blossom adds a touch of bright colour that is really nice and the round gate gives an unusual 'exotic' flavour to the build. The way you have angled the support around the gate is very clever, are the SNOT wedge plates attached at all? They give a pleasing texture and I think look much nicer than if you had just used the slopes by themselves. Nice hand-cart design as well. GoC :thumbup: from me!

Thank you! The wedge plates are attached to the columns with a headlight brick. I was worried it would have turned out more like a Star Wars moc, but it seems fine :pir-vader:

Edited by Spud The Viking

3 minutes ago, Spud The Viking said:

I was worried it would have turned out more like a Star Wars moc, but it seems fine :pir-vader:

Not Star Warsy at all! Looks great and really has the Lotii feel from previous builds - nice work!

On 4/19/2021 at 9:56 PM, evancelt said:

Not Star Warsy at all! Looks great and really has the Lotii feel from previous builds - nice work!

Thanks!

21 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Awesome, thank you very much!

Beautiful build! You really nailed the architecture. The round gate is interesting and the cherry blossom tree finishes the build with a nice splash of color.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:45 PM, Ayrlego said:

so I think the Lotii in Port Raleigh are probably safe from persecution 

I guess it might be like modern diasporas, where the minorities tend to be from groups that were marginalised in their homeland, and don't have a lot of love for their own country. 

Woah, it looks stunning! I love how you did the angled pillars with SNOT, and the colours are nice and balanced too!

Really tempting me to make something Japanese/Chinese too now :p

I'll add to my earlier post to say the decorated fences work really well here to add some ornate elements to the wall. The angled (to stud grid) orientation of the side walls help add interesting complexity, and the sloped SNOT entrance walls are memorable. GoC :thumbup: from me, so hereby approved!