Sign in to follow this  
Technic Builder

16 motors / functions using the powered up app not easily possible?

The only thing that got me excited about the new hubs and the powered up app was the possibility of connecting 4 hubs to the app at once and creating my own custom controls for a creation with up to 16 functions.  It seems that the powered up app can still only be connected to ONE technic hub at once (or at least run programming on one hub at once).  If you want to use multiple hubs you have to use a powered up remote control, but the remote control only has 4 buttons, so if I have 4 motors per hub and each motor can go forwards or backwards I only have half as many controls as I need without some very fancy programming.

Am I missing anything?  Most google searches only return threads from 2 years ago when this stuff was released.  I'll admit, once I found out I couldn't connect / program more than one hub at a time in the powered up app I kinda gave up on this for a while so I have not played around with it a ton (I don't own a powered up remote either).  The complete lack of documentation within the app is also pathetic.

Maybe will help you new Sbrick Pro app, which is curently in BETA available for testing. This app is also capable to control new technic hub. You should try. I´m using it to control 4 Sbricks, but I thing that it could also handle up to 4 hubs. More info on their Sbrick webpage or Youtube. 

Edited by Kladovec

Does the app not connect to more than 1 hub (in the connect/bluetooth menu) or do you have problems accessing the ports in the code area?

If the hubs are connected, you can use the "hub block" in the white menu to select the hubs/ports.

106.png

One of my upcoming MOCs is nearly maxing out the 16 Ports. I had no problems connecting and using the hubs. @Gimmick already posted the code block, which enables you to choose the hub and the specific port. The ID can be from 1 to 4. Hub ID 1 is assigned to the first hub in your connection list. Note that you can change the order of the hubs. So the ID is not bound to the first connected hub. The ports are self-explanatory: just choose A, B, C or D. Just in case you don't know it: Have a look at the guide from @kbalage.

With regards to the documentation: Please contact TLG and complain about the missing documentation. I did and the more complain the earlier they might publish one. This guide is the only one I got from them... after asking twice.

Edited by Andman
added link to guide

4 hours ago, Andman said:

One of my upcoming MOCs is nearly maxing out the 16 Ports. I had no problems connecting and using the hubs. @Gimmick already posted the code block, which enables you to choose the hub and the specific port. The ID can be from 1 to 4. Hub ID 1 is assigned to the first hub in your connection list. Note that you can change the order of the hubs. So the ID is not bound to the first connected hub. The ports are self-explanatory: just choose A, B, C or D. Just in case you don't know it: Have a look at the guide from @kbalage.

With regards to the documentation: Please contact TLG and complain about the missing documentation. I did and the more complain the earlier they might publish one. This guide is the only one I got from them... after asking twice.

Will you be controlling your moc with a custom control layout you made in the powered up app, or via powered up controllers or some other means?

Or maybe the more relevant question would be have you already controlled more than 1 hub at a time via a custom control layout made in the powered up app?

Edited by Technic Builder

I chose a coding project in Powered Up. There you can also create custom controls. I did not create a controller project. Yes, I used more than one hub at the same time to control motors and read infos from.