DrJB

Crazy Contraptions that Use Lego Parts (formerly: Flying LegoCopter)

Not sure this was ever reported here, but nonetheless it is worth a 're-visit' ...

I stumbled upon the MOC below, it is not pure lego as the author added some custom hardware. The end result is a truly flying RC 9396. Enjoy!

https://modellfliegersprossen.wordpress.com/hubschrauber/ein-lego-technic-hubschrauber-lernt-fliegen/

Edited by DrJB

1 hour ago, DrJB said:

The end result is a truly flying RC 9396

No, it's not. It's a normal RC chopper with some LEGO bits stuck on. The LEGO bits are not involved in making it fly

It's like saying there's a LEGO spaceship orbiting the Earth just because an astronaut took a LEGO set with him to ISS :laugh:

Brick Experiment Channel made a Lego drone which used Lego motors and propellers but non-Lego power source and controllers. I'm guessing that's the closest you can get an actually flying Lego helicopter.

7 hours ago, 1974 said:

No, it's not. It's a normal RC chopper with some LEGO bits stuck on. The LEGO bits are not involved in making it fly

It's like saying there's a LEGO spaceship orbiting the Earth just because an astronaut took a LEGO set with him to ISS :laugh:

Agreed. And....I'm not going to take the time to find it,  but I know this has shown up here before.  Such a tired debate...lego can fly...and I can build like @Sariel :hmpf_bad:

9 hours ago, 1974 said:

We surely all have our opinions. Though I clearly stated the author uses many non-lego parts. One has to admit though, the resemblance to the original Lego copter is rather impressive. I too was debating (before I saw the entire video) how he did it. The give-away was, I quickly noticed he did NOT use the original propellers. Still, purist or not, gotta give the guy some credit, as he's put in quite a bit of work.

17 hours ago, DrJB said:

Not sure this was ever reported here

The video is 4 years old, so it's a safe bet that it's been reported several times already. As others have stated, this is basically an RC heli inside a LEGO shell. If you enjoy this kind of approach, you may also want to check out this abomination, which is also creatively labeled as "Lego".

8 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

and I can build like @Sariel :hmpf_bad:

@nerdsforprez You mean extremely slow and starting yet another project way too often? :rofl:

Edited by Sariel

Sh*it guys, can’t anyone enjoy anything around here without pretentious crap being flown around (pun)

sometimes I feel it should be the pretentious technic forum.., yea I’m grumpy, I just turned Vegan and my kid doesn’t like anything I make for dinner :angry:

I love this RC LEGO helli! Thanks for posting so I could see it :thumbup:

1 hour ago, MangaNOID said:

Sh*it guys, can’t anyone enjoy anything around here without pretentious crap being flown around (pun)

sometimes I feel it should be the pretentious technic forum.., yea I’m grumpy, I just turned Vegan and my kid doesn’t like anything I make for dinner :angry:

Thank you. It seems we have a very 'young/immature' membership who only believe in their own view of the world.

I am fully with you and enjoy anything that uses lego technic, be it purist, hybrid, shell only, or else.

A while back I started a thread on non-Toy applications of Lego, and someone reported on the use of lego liftarms in a medical lab, where they build artificial bone. Did I b*tch about it that it was not pure Lego? Not at all, I found it rather novel that someone thought outside of the box to give us exposure way out of the boring dumdum supercar craze.

It is My Lego, and I enjoy doing with it whatever I please ... To you all, this is a hobby, and for spending on it your hard-earned $$ (or Euros/Yens/Dinars), you've earned the right to do with it whatever pleases you.

4 hours ago, Sariel said:

The video is 4 years old ...

Fair enough, I'm sure not everyone has seen it. Hopefully it's of some use to some of us 'non-regular' members.

Edited by DrJB

1 hour ago, DrJB said:

A while back I started a thread on non-Toy applications of Lego, and someone reported on the use of lego liftarms in a medical lab, where they build artificial bone. Did I b*tch about it that it was not pure Lego? Not at all, I found it rather novel that someone thought outside of the box to give us exposure way out of the boring dumdum supercar craze.

They just build a few Mindstorms operated cranes. Got diddly to do with artifial bones, so why mention that?

Why didn't you just make a topic about a cool RC chopper clad in LEGO parts instead of that clickbait headline?

I too can enjoy LEGO used in non conventional ways but I don't enjoy silliness like that

Has nothing to do with being pure LEGO or not, you know

Edit : It would be like saying : "Look at this cool Ferrari Don Johnson is driving in Miami Vice" ... that shit would get you laughed right out the door in the automotive world

Cheers,

Ole

Edited by 1974

1 hour ago, DrJB said:

Fair enough, I'm sure not everyone has seen it. Hopefully it's of some use to some of us 'non-regular' members.

By the same logic you can dig up every video in existence, be it 4, 14 or 40 years old, because NOT EVERYONE HAS SEEN IT, and then do it again on the very next day. There is no single video that everyone has seen, nor is it the goal of EB to make sure that a particular video was seen by everyone. This is where looking at the date when a video was posted and using your common sense is advised. You want this forum to be about something fresh or about the videos from x years ago that you perhaps haven't seen yet?

3 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Go kill an animal or something

Now, it WOULD be pretentious to call this RC Chopper "flying LEGO", so we don't do that around here :iamded_lol:

2 hours ago, 1974 said:

They just build a few Mindstorms operated cranes. Got diddly to do with artifial bones, so why mention that?

Why didn't you just make a topic about a cool RC chopper clad in LEGO parts instead of that clickbait headline?

I too can enjoy LEGO used in non conventional ways but I don't enjoy silliness like that

Has nothing to do with being pure LEGO or not, you know

Edit : It would be like saying : "Look at this cool Ferrari Don Johnson is driving in Miami Vice" ... that shit would get you laughed right out the door in the automotive world

Cheers,

Ole

Point well taken ... and maybe I should refer you to another thread of mine where we addressed 'miscommunication' in these forums and how some comments could be interpreted in different ways than the OP intended ...

... All this to say: I never intended for this to be a 'Click-Bait' ... and am truly sorry that you did not win a super-loaded iPad-Pro bundle by clicking on the link :wink: :pir-tongue:

2 hours ago, Sariel said:

By the same logic you can dig up every video in existence, be it 4, 14 or 40 years old, because NOT EVERYONE HAS SEEN IT, and then do it again on the very next day. There is no single video that everyone has seen, nor is it the goal of EB to make sure that a particular video was seen by everyone. This is where looking at the date when a video was posted and using your common sense is advised. You want this forum to be about something fresh or about the videos from x years ago that you perhaps haven't seen yet?

Sariel ... as much respect as I have for you and your contributions to this community, I must disagree here ... or maybe you're having a rough day, though it's irrelevant.

Few points:

1. There was NO youtube or fancy lego technic 40 years ago (some would call your comment polemic, but let's pass)

2. The copter video showed up in my facebook thread yesterday, I looked on EB, and did not find it, so decided to post it. Did I do a deep search to ensure it was never seen before? ... No, sorry but I'll keep that in mind for next time, and opt to enjoy myself without sharing with anyone ... would that make you happy then?

3. Who said anything that I'm here to ensure everyone has seen the video? You're reading way too much into this. If the topic is of no interest, I just ignore it and move on. Are we now 'censoring' the information? ... sorry, not for me.

4. You're absolutely correct ... for all you know I'm an immature teenager who copies/pastes whatever he sees. Thank You!

For the rest of you, I hope you enjoy whatever this hobby brings to you, and not get distracted by very different opinions... such as displayed/evidenced in this thread. 

*peace*

Edited by DrJB

39 minutes ago, DrJB said:

... and am truly sorry that you did not win a super-loaded iPad-Pro bundle by clicking on the link :wink: :pir-tongue:

I despise Apple junk so that's fine with me

However, you do win one of these :pir-huzzah2: for answering in a mature and good spirited way

There's no doubt that you're passionate about Technic and I'm not at all bothered by you linking that RC chopper video here, it's just that calling it a flying LEGO thing REALLY GRINDS MA GEARZ :kahuka:

Cheers,

Ole

That's funny ... and thank you for the beer (I don't drink though).

Though, whether you like it or not, it IS flying Lego ... but I never said it was 100%  :laugh:

*peace*

Edited by DrJB

Actual flying LEGO would need to be made by LEGO elements for the crucial tasks, not for cosmetics only. I mean you don't even have to unbox the 9396 if you strap a JATO on it :ugh:

So far the motors output vs the batteries weight and the limited control options makes that absolutely 100% impossible on this planet. Maybe on Mars (as that is all the rage right now) or the Moon :rofl:

You're giving me ideas now ... though I agree with you almost 100%.

Yes, power to lift to batery weight ratio is such that 100% Lego will never fly. Not sure in Mars either as the atmosphere there is rather thin, and as such, the propellers need to generate a 'respectable' lift. Don't ask me how much as I'd need to run some calcs myself, and it'll take me some time to relearn the Pi-Groups from my Fluid Mechanics class.

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/2-25-advanced-fluid-mechanics-fall-2013/

Now, how about we rebrand this thread to something more descriptive, and collect other crazy-contraptions, that use Lego in some way, though not 100% ... any suggestions?

"Crazy-contraptions that uses LEGO parts" :wink::thumbup:

4 minutes ago, DrJB said:

You're giving me ideas now ...

Cool. I luv to see JATOs in action :iamded_lol:

2 hours ago, DrJB said:

or maybe you're having a rough day, though it's irrelevant.

Ahhh, nothing elevates a discussion like a personal insult. Look buddy, long story short: you posted a rather old, well-known video with a clickbait-ey title and most of the forum doesn't appreciate this. Deal with it and move on.

11 minutes ago, Sariel said:

Ahhh, nothing elevates a discussion like a personal insult. Look buddy, long story short: you posted a rather old, well-known video with a clickbait-ey title and most of the forum doesn't appreciate this. Deal with it and move on.

Personal Insult? ... when you ARE the original sinner/attacker?  I was expecting an apology from such an 'accomplished' individual.

Who are you to speak on behalf of the whole forum? Self-appointed Lego-I-don't-know-what?

I've known Lego since before you were born, and been on this forum while you were still soiling your diapers!!! Better yet, the two books of yours that I bought, they go in the garbage bin now. You think getting free lego sets and reviewing them (because you can't afford them yourself) entitles you to 'special status' on here?

Grow Up, show 'some' maturity (assuming you're capable of) ... this thread is simply NOT for you!!!

To the rest you: Apologies, but this is proof that some of us do not take fame too well.

Edited by DrJB