Padlix

[Lego IDEAS] Native American Settlements

19 hours ago, Padlix said:

Well Changes are generally made based on Feedback. It is not mixing Cultures since it depics a Plains Tribe rather accurately. I think it would be worse if no Changes were made after being given honest Feedback, people should be allowed room to improve their Creations and Themselves

Or ask for feedback from sites such as this before submission. Very few people that eventually post an IDEAS submission here do that.

Edited by MAB

Just now, MAB said:

Or ask for feedback from sites such as this before submission.

Please read the PS of the Description of this Post. I asked for Feedback from an Association which represents Native Americans and this Submission was considered good to them. They gave me further Suggestions to Improve but overall it wasn't deemed problematic at all. Native Americans don't want to forbid anyone anything, they just want respect and not incredibly racist portrayals, which this isn't.

22 hours ago, Seaber said:

It's clear you've put a lot of attention into the builds as well as the background research. 

What made you pick skin tones over yellow for the figures? 

It's a personal Choice I'd say. I liked all the Pirates of the Caribbean Figurines, I think yellow is perfectly fine but more different Minifigure Skin Tones are just neat imo

11 hours ago, natesroom said:

Sorry for calling it... I think it falls perfectly in line with a non controversial set, that random people call controversial over nothing controversial.

Yeah the Person harassing us in the Comments also harassed the Creator of "Spanish Colonial Fort" saying his next Set is probably Auschwitz. In reality Auschwitz was never torn down so it can stand as a "Mahnmal" which means it is a memorial to never forget what cruel and hideous actions were performed during WWII. I'm all against wanting to delete history, we should learn from the past not just keep the unproblematic Topics alive.
(Auschwitz was one of the Execution Camps used in Germany during World War II)

Picking back up on the discussion of extending the build with other cultures, would love to see an Iroquois Long-house or a Mandan Earth-lodge.

3 hours ago, elfprince13 said:

Picking back up on the discussion of extending the build with other cultures, would love to see an Iroquois Long-house or a Mandan Earth-lodge.

Well not an Earth Lodge but a Wigwam standing on a Mountain will be included, we tried to deliver the aesthetics that it is made with Branches and leaves. I think it turned out pretty good with the rounded Shape. Also it will be openable like the Tipis

21 hours ago, elfprince13 said:

Cool! I look forward to the update.

@Aanchir We've now added a Preview to the Main Update in the "Update Tab" :)

Its a beautiful update on your project. The door/window frame color of the pueblo house contrasts nicely with the walls.

On the wigwam, quite a job making it stable. The rounded shape looks as good as can be achieved with Lego bricks.

9 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Its a beautiful update on your project. The door/window frame color of the pueblo house contrasts nicely with the walls.

On the wigwam, quite a job making it stable. The rounded shape looks as good as can be achieved with Lego bricks.

Thanks for the kind words :) I too think the medium azure in combination with Tan looks so nice :)

I'm confused on the controversy. I can understand people of a certain demographic profiting from another's culture being problematic, but what about this MOC says controversy?

I think you nailed it. Growing up near a reservation of the Sioux tribe, they would routinely do events where they did music and dancing and we would watch their culture come to life! 

I'd love for this to be a set. I haven't been as involved in Western style sets for some time, but that time period should be kept in the forefront and would love to see a reimagining of this culture. Native American culture gets pushed aside too easily. It is extremely unfortunate and terrible. Hopefully things will change going forward now that people are more aware of these concerns.

On 4/27/2021 at 4:57 PM, TheLegoDr said:

I'm confused on the controversy. I can understand people of a certain demographic profiting from another's culture being problematic, but what about this MOC says controversy?

I think you nailed it. Growing up near a reservation of the Sioux tribe, they would routinely do events where they did music and dancing and we would watch their culture come to life! 

I'd love for this to be a set. I haven't been as involved in Western style sets for some time, but that time period should be kept in the forefront and would love to see a reimagining of this culture. Native American culture gets pushed aside too easily. It is extremely unfortunate and terrible. Hopefully things will change going forward now that people are more aware of these concerns.

Yes! I like your View on the Topic! I've been told Native Americans don't want their Culture forbidden to anyone else, they just want it portrayed with respect, diverting from Stereotypes. 

I've never been too much in the Western Sets aswell but my Wife loved the Idea of a peaceful Tipi Settlement :) She also thinks that it would be valuable to depict these Kind of Cultures in Playsets since that is how Children learn best. If something is only portrayed in history books it would possibly be overlooked by following Generations which would be sad

On 4/27/2021 at 3:57 PM, TheLegoDr said:

Presumably they did the events for both (1) awareness and maybe even taking back stereotypes and (2) to use their culture as a show to make money for themselves.

It is a different issue if people from another culture put on an event to use the native culture of others to make money. They may think they are doing good by promoting native culture (or their view of native culture), but if they are also making profit from another people's culture then I can understand why some people find that offensive.

Thank you both for the responses. I can see it in a different perspective now. 

I'm sure they were profiting from it (or at least I hope they were!). Living in a predominantly caucasian area near a reservation, we were willing to pay to watch and learn.

It is unfortunate and saddening that so many cultures get lost through history. Reading about Native American culture is interesting and it would do well for kids to be reminded of the positive aspects of these things. (every culture has ugly history also, but we seem to not define them by only the negatives...)

Either way, I'd love to see this as a set. I would gladly buy it. (but again, I understand the concern of profiting from other's cultures).

On 4/29/2021 at 10:19 AM, MAB said:

Presumably they did the events for both (1) awareness and maybe even taking back stereotypes and (2) to use their culture as a show to make money for themselves.

It is a different issue if people from another culture put on an event to use the native culture of others to make money. They may think they are doing good by promoting native culture (or their view of native culture), but if they are also making profit from another people's culture then I can understand why some people find that offensive.

I mean. If Lego would not make Money off of other Cultures the whole Architecture Series would not exist, nor the Chinese New Year Sets. There is a "Traditional German Cottage" on Ideas made by an American which represents maybe 10% of Germany (and we Germans don't care). Native Americans most likely do not have the Infrastructure to represent themselves in Toys internationally but I think they still have the right to be represented correctly. Also it if any Profit would be gained surely there would be Donations to Native Americans.

3 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Thank you both for the responses. I can see it in a different perspective now. 

I'm sure they were profiting from it (or at least I hope they were!). Living in a predominantly caucasian area near a reservation, we were willing to pay to watch and learn.

It is unfortunate and saddening that so many cultures get lost through history. Reading about Native American culture is interesting and it would do well for kids to be reminded of the positive aspects of these things. (every culture has ugly history also, but we seem to not define them by only the negatives...)

Either way, I'd love to see this as a set. I would gladly buy it. (but again, I understand the concern of profiting from other's cultures).

That is really awesome that you lived near a reservation and got to learn about it directly from Natives!

In German School we didn't really learn about the Subject though the mistreatment is generally known about. Nowadays Native Americans get more and more forgotten as since the 80s there are almost no new Toys etc. being made about Native Americans. With one exception, the Big German Toy Brand "Playmobil" is selling Toys that depict the Culture insanely wrong by mushing everything together and even using viking tents instead of Tipis.