evancelt

[COR-FB] Mushrooms for Dinner, Wullham

Elsabeth Stockton was a lady of means. Her father was a general in the army back in Belson and she had grown up in a stately manor outside the city. She wasn't one to wait around twiddling her thumbs.

She had arrived in Wullham earlier that month and learned of Captain Brickleton's mission away in Terraversa. Now she and her servant were staying at the inn located in the town center.

As they headed for the front door of the inn intending to go for a walk, the attendant manning the hotel desk let Elsabeth know she had received a letter.

The letter was from Captain Brickleton. He had caught wind of her travels to Wullham via an acquaintance in the Naval Intelligence Office. He let her know that his mission in Terraversa had been successful and the island was at peace. The war was over!

He also included some notes about interesting things Elsabeth should explore in Wullham. There was a mysterious heart-shaped carving, Brickleton's own mayoral home, and an Onondaga friend named Treewa she should call on.

She had already explored Brickleton's home when she initially sought him out earlier that month. She made a mental note to see the carving soon. The Onondaga friend intrigued her - the idea of meeting a friendly native of the Brick Seas fascinated her. The Onondaga were a native tribe from the island where Brickleton had been stationed prior to coming to found Wullham. Elsabeth decided to seek out the Onondaga friend, and she and her servant set out at once.

They found the Onondaga friend Treewa at his home outside of town and he offered to take Elsabeth for a nature walk. He had scouted out much of the island when the settlers first arrived.

The group traveled inland toward the large interior mountain. They approached a rushing stream and Treewa leapt up onto a fallen tree trunk and crossed over. Elsabeth and her servant warily followed.

On the far side of the stream they found a large assortment of sizable mushrooms surrounding a rotting tree stump. Treewa recognized the fungi varieties as edible and collected them for the group to have for dinner that night back in Wullham.

mushrooms-1.jpg

mushrooms-2.jpg

mushrooms-3.jpg

OOC: @Ross Fisher's shell craters that looked to me like rotted tree trunks got me thinking about mushrooms :pir-grin:

Also was really intrigued by @Kai NRG's Cherry Blossom Fort where she loosely coupled slopes and inverted slopes in the walls to make tessellations with gaps. i figured the same could be done with slopes and wedges

Edited by evancelt

Nice scene. I like the tree trunk as a bridge and the many mushrooms.

Ooh, this is a really nice take on the loose slope technique!  I want to try it. :pir-grin:  I love how bright and summer/autumn like your MOCs often look.

Also, nice collection of 'shrooms. :pir-wink:

Very clean and simple yet using some interesting techniques. The best part for me is the birch tree - I'm a sucker for a good Lego birch tree at the best of times but the way you've used the flexi pipe to angle the three lines of 1x1 rounds then inter-connected them with the leaves is very cool - something I am very likely to steal borrow at some stage. Nice work.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:50 AM, Ross Fisher said:

A really nice build, all told. I think we need more stories like this. 

Thanks! I have started to license some of my builds, but I think most are still like this - kind of supporting builds for a story arc :pir-grin: I need to start making some EGS money soon to support some grander plans. Like you mentioned, I would love to see more non-licensed storybuilds from others. I really like to read stories about the the day-to-day of Enlightenment era life.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:00 AM, CapOnBOBS said:

Nice SNOT!

Thanks! Started out by playing with some sideways light bley slopes and went from there. I had intended to do the whole thing with 1x slopes but quickly realized I didn't have enough, so expanded to 2x - this ended up adding some streamside topography!

On 4/17/2021 at 7:31 AM, caiman0637 said:

Very nice!

Thanks!

On 4/17/2021 at 10:09 AM, NOD said:

Nice scene. I like the tree trunk as a bridge and the many mushrooms.

Thanks! After looking at the picture some more I have some more ideas for how to make the tree trunk look more natural (less boxy) and will try those out in the future.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:02 PM, Kai NRG said:

Ooh, this is a really nice take on the loose slope technique!  I want to try it. :pir-grin:  I love how bright and summer/autumn like your MOCs often look.

Also, nice collection of 'shrooms. :pir-wink:

Thanks! Like I said in the OP, your slope usage gave me the idea! Excited to see what you come up with if you give it a try. You'll be seeing the mushrooms (+ some friends) again soon :pir-huzzah2:

9 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Very clean and simple yet using some interesting techniques. The best part for me is the birch tree - I'm a sucker for a good Lego birch tree at the best of times but the way you've used the flexi pipe to angle the three lines of 1x1 rounds then inter-connected them with the leaves is very cool - something I am very likely to steal borrow at some stage. Nice work.

Thanks! The only color flexitube I have at the moment is light bley, so it meant my tree was going to be a birch rather than a brown variety! I started out by jamming 5 bare tubes into that 2x2 hole in the green SNOT, but then decided it'd be more fun to put 1x1 round bricks on the tube - at that point only 3 fit in the hole! Excited to see what you come up with if you use it

Edited by evancelt

1 hour ago, evancelt said:

I need to start making some EGS money soon to support some grander plans.

As recent history has proved, I may not be the best person to go to on advice around "pushing your luck", but I'd be tempted to see if you can license this as a small plantation. That's roughly 32×32, right?

6 hours ago, evancelt said:

Thanks! The only color flexitube I have at the moment is light bley, so it meant my tree was going to be a birch rather than a brown variety! I started out by jamming 5 bare tubes into that 2x2 hole in the green SNOT, but then decided it'd be more fun to put 1x1 round bricks on the tube - at that point only 3 fit in the hole! Excited to see what you come up with if you use it

I'm currently experimenting with this method of using flexi-tubes:

50177536928_d0b4f4d403_t.jpg

Also a slightly  different tutorial on Instagram here:https://www.instagram.com/p/CLpNvzBpQmA/ Interestingly the author demonstrates how 5 tubes neatly fit into a 1x1 square hole. My spice merchant build nearing completion will feature one of these style trees.