MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

25 minutes ago, hondohnaka said:

Lego Star Wars actually use an interesting and new piece to properly represent a character's design? Perish the thought, that would involve them actually caring ;)

The Knights of Ren, Zorrii, Jannah, Ponda Baba, Garindan, Labria, Grogu, Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Boolio, Old Luke, Rose, Moloch, Quay Tolsite, Enfys Nest, Weasel, Dryden's Guards and the Praetorian Guards would beg to differ. And that's just the ones released from 2018 to 2021.

There's plenty we Star Wars fans can complain about but a lack of new pieces to represent a character's specific design? That's a no.

1 hour ago, hondohnaka said:

Ahsoka is still a bit stylized in comparison to other characters (no pupils for one), but the square anime eyes are thankfully a thing of the past. 

Lego Star Wars actually use an interesting and new piece to properly represent a character's design? Perish the thought, that would involve them actually caring ;)

For some reason the female alien jedi don't usually get pupils, even if they're based off the films.

As @Guyon2002 says, we get new parts all the time, I just don't think they'll update a character a year later with dual-molded legs for a cheaper set.

14 hours ago, Brickroll said:

The airborne trooper in the starfighter is actually slightly different, although you are correct about the yellow 212th

Correct, they're very different, with different arm colours and new prints for both torso an leg prints. Since it has the new head I think the kama and helmet are the only similar pieces.

6 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Don't count on it. Star Wars almost never has dual molding, I believe the only exception so far has been Han from Betrayal at Cloud City.

And the imperial officer in the UCS star destroyer. But I agree I cannot see it happening.

33 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

For some reason the female alien jedi don't usually get pupils, even if they're based off the films.

As @Guyon2002 says, we get new parts all the time, I just don't think they'll update a character a year later with dual-molded legs for a cheaper set.

Not just Jedi, they did it for Hera too (but not for Aayla or Oola, so even application by species is inconsistent).

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

The Knights of Ren, Zorrii, Jannah, Ponda Baba, Garindan, Labria, Grogu, Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Boolio, Old Luke, Rose, Moloch, Quay Tolsite, Enfys Nest, Weasel, Dryden's Guards and the Praetorian Guards would beg to differ. And that's just the ones released from 2018 to 2021.

All of your examples though are for characters for whom there was no "close enough" existing piece to use. It's almost even more frustrating - LEGO goes all out for all of these minor side characters, yet when it comes to main, very important characters TLG's motto is "only good enough is good enough".

Even if they don't give Ahsoka dual-moulded arms and/or legs, for which there's like a .1% chance, I really hope they give her a new proper headpiece - more like a .5% chance. There's a better chance they'll create a new Ahsoka piece when her Disney+ series comes around, but even then, they fudged Mando's helmet with the existing Mando helmet piece so I'm not holding my breath.

46 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

All of your examples though are for characters for whom there was no "close enough" existing piece to use. It's almost even more frustrating - LEGO goes all out for all of these minor side characters, yet when it comes to main, very important characters TLG's motto is "only good enough is good enough".

Even if they don't give Ahsoka dual-moulded arms and/or legs, for which there's like a .1% chance, I really hope they give her a new proper headpiece - more like a .5% chance. There's a better chance they'll create a new Ahsoka piece when her Disney+ series comes around, but even then, they fudged Mando's helmet with the existing Mando helmet piece so I'm not holding my breath.

Exactly my sentiments. Jannah gets an all new exclusive mold and arm printing while our girl Ahsoka uses a clearly oversized decade old Shaak Ti mold with plain orange arms? Come on

I can't remember where I read this, but someone mentioned that cheaper sets lend themselves for more prints/molds because they get produced in larger quantities so it justifies the production cost. I presume a 20$ set for which there is clear demand would bring at least one new thing to the table. 

8 minutes ago, Stefanisimo said:

Exactly my sentiments. Jannah gets an all new exclusive mold and arm printing while our girl Ahsoka uses a clearly oversized decade old Shaak Ti mold with plain orange arms? Come on

I can't remember where I read this, but someone mentioned that cheaper sets lend themselves for more prints/molds because they get produced in larger quantities so it justifies the production cost. I presume a 20$ set for which there is clear demand would bring at least one new thing to the table. 

If there is only one new thing, I would go for some sort of new way to capture Maul, whether it be the old set of legs that are likely out of production or a new head. The Ahsoka could be captured with better printing on the legs.

16 minutes ago, Stefanisimo said:

Don't forget armprinting for random Wookie's from a random SW Rebels set which was based after concept art and didnt even appear in the actual scene (yes it appeared anyway but for 2 seconds and not in the finale). The Sabine Wren from the same wave was looking HORRIBLE. Like she had 5% exposed arms but Lego gave her bare arms instead of giving her the arm printing-treatment. The S2 version didn't even get a helmet.

I won't complain though. You can buy printed arms and other things in large quantities from several 3rd party sellers. Or make it yourself. I think Lego is losing money here (even with some of the arguments above; they could sell printed arms to us directly) but I dont know their inner structure and decision making process.

...and the best: With Mando we got a figure that really needed arm printing, in a set below 300 bucks for the first time ever.

Again, who knows what factors in the decisions. Remember Obi Wan still uses the oldest hairpice while there are like 5 better pieces, already produced in the right colour :pir-murder:

Edit: The moral of the story is; don't expect anything.

Edited by Kim-Kwang-Seok

4 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

If there is only one new thing, I would go for some sort of new way to capture Maul, whether it be the old set of legs that are likely out of production or a new head. The Ahsoka could be captured with better printing on the legs.

What's wrong with Maul's head and why does he need special legs? By Season 7 he doesn't have huge claw legs anymore, so regular minifig legs are not only fine but actually accurate.

Ahsoka needs a proper lekku piece that actually matches her design above all.

2 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Don't forget armprinting for random Wookie's from a random SW Rebels set which was based after concept art and didnt even appear in the actual scene (yes it appeared anyway but for 2 seconds and not in the finale). The Sabine Wren from the same wave was looking HORRIBLE. Like she had 5% exposed arms but Lego gave her bare arms instead of giving her the arm printing-treatment. The S2 version didn't even get a helmet.

LEGO did Rebels dirty in almost every way imaginable, from badly designed figures to bad or weirdly scaled set choices, and just too little content all around. But really I think even Lucasfilm and Disney itself didn't promote Rebels enough.

5 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

What's wrong with Maul's head and why does he need special legs? By Season 7 he doesn't have huge claw legs anymore, so regular minifig legs are not only fine but actually accurate.

I forgot that he lost the claw legs, but every version of Maul has made him look like his TPM appearance. I feel like something similar but not quite the same to the Tusken Raider head mold would really capture his personality. 
On your point about Rebels, I think you are right. Sabine’s hair alone makes her look half a foot taller than any other fig, and the sets are quite oddly scaled. The ghost is still a neat set, despite its size.

I think the existing Zabrak headpiece is fine. I wouldn't want to see Maul's head become completely molded like the Tusken Raider's. As far as the face print goes they really perfected it with the Solo/Crimson Dawn figure and hope they reuse it for the upcoming Clone Wars figure.

I also think the existing Maul horn piece is fine and it's more useful to have Maul's head be a regular minifigure head, as he often wears a hood.

4 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Not just Jedi, they did it for Hera too (but not for Aayla or Oola, so even application by species is inconsistent).

Come to think of it, chirrut and snoke have them too. Chirrut's blind so it kind of makes sense (though it still feels like his eyes are a bit big, and IMO the head makes him look too young anyway), but there's no reason for snoke to have them.

1 hour ago, Brickroll said:

At this point in the war maul's prosthetic legs are a more normal height and look basically just like shiny humanoid legs, so I think that normal minifig legs still work. I think the solo figure is the best maul so far, and they could basically just slap the TPM torso on that figure and call it a day.

1 hour ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Completely agree on the wookie gunship being a poor idea for a set (as far as I'm aware they never even intended for it to appear in other episodes). For sabine, I think she really did need arm printing, as her arms in season one have a colored shoulder plate, then exposed upper arms and long black vambraces with paint flecks. That really can't be done well in any single color arm, though dual molded arms with the upper part being shoulder armor and the lower part being skin may have worked.

19 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

I also think the existing Maul horn piece is fine and it's more useful to have Maul's head be a regular minifigure head, as he often wears a hood.

Same here, I'd add that at least for me, when the actor/actress playing the character has their face exposed, it feels more accurate for them to have a normal head with molded headgear than a completely new mold, as it'd make them look less lego-like.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

On 2/14/2021 at 9:19 AM, Sarah_H7744 said:

I bought a 2nd set & combined the two half tents into a full tent, which worked out quite well.

oh nice, any pics? might tempted to do the same.

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Come to think of it, chirrut and snoke have them too. Chirrut's blind so it kind of makes sense (though it still feels like his eyes are a bit big, and IMO the head makes him look too young anyway), but there's no reason for snoke to have them.

At this point in the war maul's prosthetic legs are a more normal height and look basically just like shiny humanoid legs, so I think that normal minifig legs still work. I think the solo figure is the best maul so far, and they could basically just slap the TPM torso on that figure and call it a day.

Completely agree on the wookie gunship being a poor idea for a set (as far as I'm aware they never even intended for it to appear in other episodes). For sabine, I think she really did need arm printing, as her arms in season one have a colored shoulder plate, then exposed upper arms and long black vambraces with paint flecks. That really can't be done well in any single color arm, though dual molded arms with the upper part being shoulder armor and the lower part being skin may have worked.

Same here, I'd add that at least for me, when the actor/actress playing the character has their face exposed, it feels more accurate for them to have a normal head with molded headgear than a completely new mold, as it'd make them look less lego-like.

Originally the wookies would have rescued Kanan in the s1 finale. Fortunately they changed things.

So the set ain't Legos fault. They get some material and 1,5 years later it may not even appear. But they can take the arm printing of 3 wookies and give it to Sabine and another figure instead.

11 hours ago, Pchan1983 said:

oh nice, any pics? might tempted to do the same.

I've broken it down now, but I have some okay pics from a joke display that I created after re-watching Attack of the Clones yet again a couple of weeks ago. I didn't bother with an interior for the hut though, as it was only meant to be a very temporary display.
Sorry if it's rubbish, lol.
Tatooine - Anakin's aggressive negotiations with the Tusken Raiders

3 hours ago, Sarah_H7744 said:

Looks quite good to me, and it is certainly an improvement over the set

Edited by Stuartn

Have there been any additional rumours on the Clone figure in the UCS gunship besides that it's supposedly the Ep2 Captain? It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, e.g. if it'll be the first official Clone figure with arm printing, and whether they stick with the recent hybrid style printing or if they do a new movie-based print as they might consider that more fitting for a UCS. If it is the recent hybrid style I wonder if they'll reuse the last clone captain helmet print from 75021, a bit like how they reused the airborne helmet print in 75286, or if they'll redo it completely like the Phase IIs  - I thought the last one was great, and should still work with the newer body printing style well enough, but then again I thought the Phase II movie helmet prints were great too and those got changed. Looking forward to seeing the set itself of course, if they do the look well I'll probably try and get it at some point for sentimental reasons

3 hours ago, Sarah_H7744 said:

I've broken it down now, but I have some okay pics from a joke display that I created after re-watching Attack of the Clones yet again a couple of weeks ago. I didn't bother with an interior for the hut though, as it was only meant to be a very temporary display.
Tatooine - Anakin's aggressive negotiations with the Tusken Raiders

That makes me wish we'd gotten the completed hut like that in the real set instead of the ballista, much better, it actually makes it displayable! Can't say I'd pick up another one of the current set to do the same setup though given I only bought it for Mando/Grogu and their bike, and will probably shove the half-hut and ballista into storage somewhere soon

I just had a bit of an epiphany. What if the $30 “mystery” set is an Obi-Wan Starfighter to match Anakin’s from last summer? Someone’s probably already theorized this but it randomly popped into my head. The release time and the price point are right, and it would make sense IMO. 

Edited by hondohnaka

22 hours ago, Stefanisimo said:

If I remember right, someone in the Castle subforum brought it up, I believe Mark Stafford said something to that regard talking about why smaller sets can often have a lot of that kind of stuff and sometimes they don't always bring out new molds for expensive D2C/UCS stuff.  I don't have the exact quote, so I have no idea what constitutes a cheaper set (like, is it any system set under $100, or is it just the more "impulse buy" stuff that's $25 and under?) but it was kind of interesting to think about. 

36 minutes ago, hondohnaka said:

I just had a bit of an epiphany. What if the $30 “mystery” set is an Obi-Wan Starfighter to match Anakin’s from last summer? Someone’s probably already theorized this but it randomly popped into my head. The release time and the price point are right, and it would make sense IMO. 

It's possible, but I don't know if they would want to have both on shelves at the same time.  The last version of Anakin's fighter from the Clone Wars show was out for seemingly two years, so I'd imagine the ROTS version would have a similar shelf life, and if you've got both on the shelves at the same time, they might run the risk of cannibalizing their own market.  Collectors or completionists would buy both no problem, but if a kid is in the store, they're probably just going to pick whichever color they prefer or whichever character they prefer, since they're essentially the exact same model outside of that.  I do think we'll get a remake of it at some point, though, since it's been like seven years, and it'd be nice to get one some buzz droids.

Edited by Kit Figsto

19 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

Definitely would be cool to see it again and have it complement Anakin's but I am hoping the mystery set is another Clone Wars one or something a bit more interesting. The entire wave sounds just too good so it really makes me think what have they decided to make for that set. Must be Luke's landspeeder to balance things just right. 

18 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

If I remember right, someone in the Castle subforum brought it up, I believe Mark Stafford said something to that regard talking about why smaller sets can often have a lot of that kind of stuff and sometimes they don't always bring out new molds for expensive D2C/UCS stuff.  I don't have the exact quote, so I have no idea what constitutes a cheaper set (like, is it any system set under $100, or is it just the more "impulse buy" stuff that's $25 and under?) but it was kind of interesting to think about. 

It sure is interesting from our point of view but Lego knows the real numbers. Come to think of it now, I really wonder how many of each set gets produced on average.

20 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I imagine, that it is indeed that cheaper more "impulse buy sets" will more likely get a good figure as there USP. Imainge the AAT without Ahsoka. That single minifigure makes the set 10€ more expensive at reseller-customer level (to differentiate between a 10€ figure at aftermarket prices). Without it it would be a boring subpar build. And many other smaller sets also heavily base on minifigures.

Large sets on the other hand can't really be saved by a single good or unique minifigure (except for a very small collectors market)

19 minutes ago, Lego lover 88 said:

Were there any star wars leaks in the catalogue leaks from earlier?

Unfortunately not. It's very dry with Star Wars leaks right now, hopefully something comes out soon lol